Jaguar GR1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

You're going to need those holes for the wng fences: they were the production standard items and were adapted(?) for Sidewinder rails as discussed previously.  The parts for them ought to be on the sprues somewhere.

Sadly the fences arent included, only the overwing rails, but theyre something to work from to whittle down at least. Took me 5 minutes a side and Im useless at such things as a rule,. :)

• Like 1

I just cut the rails off the overwing pylons, sanded the overall thickness down and then sanded the top side to something like the right profile, worked out far easier than I thought.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Sadly the fences arent included, only the overwing rails, but theyre something to work from to whittle down at least. Took me 5 minutes a side and Im useless at such things as a rule,. :)

My sincere apologies: I haven't seen any of my Airfix Jaguars for a long time and my memory leaks like a sieve, even on a good day.  

As the Airfix kit is derived from the Heller kit of the Jaguar A I'd rather assumed that the fences would be on one of the common sprues.  I'm off to the Airfix Tribute Forum (other forums are available) to re-familiarise myself with those instructions.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice start mate, I built one of these in the late 90's I remember it went together really well and all out the box.

It goes together reasonably well. Needs a bit of filler mind, and I'm giving myself a nightmare trying to mod the wing fences to the standard GR1 format. Other than that spiffing :swear:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bodmin said:

It goes together reasonably well. Needs a bit of filler mind, and I'm giving myself a nightmare trying to mod the wing fences to the standard GR1 format. Other than that spiffing :swear:

Yeah fair one, I built as a Gulf War one with some of the pink rubbed off on the back. I think there may have been a bit of filler used too.

1 hour ago, Bodmin said:

Those gun fairings.... such fun....

If you get really stuck with the fences, Ill try to do a half respectable pair for you from bits I have left over.

• Like 1

Just now, RMP2 said:

Those gun fairings.... such fun....

If you get really stuck with the fences, Ill try to do a half respectable pair for you from bits I have left over.

Cheers, but they filed and glued on now. Maybe a little more sanding to finish them off but they will have to do.

I'm a little disappointed with myself for not noticing they were needed, despite constantly looking at pictures. Missed the wood for the trees. Anyway, we are where we are.

• Like 1

It is a bit annoying that manufacturers include them for their French versions, but not their RAF jobbies. Then again, I guess its good practice... or... something...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's a good job there's a good time scale to complete this group build. Anyway, a little more progress. Camo finised and the first coat of clear waiting to dry. Tried my first attempt at pre-shading and it looked ok on the grey but disappeared somewhat after the green was applied.

20170507_191407_zpsvsyeyxke.jpg

• Like 3

All I need now is some appropraiate decals. Any ideas? I'm thinking 14 Sqn but the only decals I can find don't include roundels etc.

On 05/07/2017 at 8:43 PM, Bodmin said:

All I need now is some appropraiate decals. Any ideas? I'm thinking 14 Sqn but the only decals I can find don't include roundels etc.

First of all it appears the front has fallen off...I would address that as a priority. ;)

Decal wise - Xtradecal do a fair range, search the bay of E for 1/48 Jaguar decals and you'll see what I mean.

I will have a look when I'm home at the weekend to see what I have spare as I've a fair few sets I bought mainly for their stencils.

Any idea what you're loading it with yet? Might help decide on a squadron or even a serial number, just a thought.

Looking very nice by the way, I could do with the inspiration for my 6 or so Jag kits!

Edited by RMP2
auto correct is a wombat
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Decal wise - Xtradecal do a fair range, search the bay of E for 1/48 Jaguar decals and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers. I ordered two sets of decals. One from ebay and one from hannants. Along with the box decals I should be good to go. Still thinking 14 Sqn but may yet change my mind.

As for the payloads, it's going to be a recce fit. 

11 hours ago, Bodmin said:

Cheers. I ordered two sets of decals. One from ebay and one from hannants. Along with the box decals I should be good to go. Still thinking 14 Sqn but may yet change my mind.

As for the payloads, it's going to be a recce fit. 

Ah 14 or shiny 2 then. Cool, one of mine will be 2 sqn. Eventually... :)

• Like 1

Just had a quick look for roundel decals and I dont think Im using the Kitty Hawk GR1 sheet if the roundels and tail flash bits on that are any use to you?

• Like 1

On 2017-5-14 at 0:08 AM, RMP2 said:

Just had a quick look for roundel decals and I dont think Im using the Kitty Hawk GR1 sheet if the roundels and tail flash bits on that are any use to you?

It's ok thanks buddy. I'm all set.

• Like 1

It looks really nice in its camo.

As for preshading, clear coat really does a lot to obliterate it. If you like the effect and want to (re)enhance it, you can always go over the finished (i.e. decaled and flat coated) model's major panel lines with a fine mist of heavily thinned dark color.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SoftScience said:

It looks really nice in its camo.

As for preshading, clear coat really does a lot to obliterate it. If you like the effect and want to (re)enhance it, you can always go over the finished (i.e. decaled and flat coated) model's major panel lines with a fine mist of heavily thinned dark color.

Thanks for the advice.

Next time I'm going to try and be a little heavier on the preshading and lighter on the first top coat. As for the rest of this build Im going to attempt a chalk wash into the panel lines and wipe the surface after.

On 2017-2-24 at 3:39 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice start mate, I built one of these in the late 90's I remember it went together really well and all out the box.

I never realised the kit was that old. Not bad for a 90s kit I'd say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice paint work, did you use your airbrush?

Yup. Getting much better with it. Still haven't brought myself to put enamels through it yet though.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bodmin said:

Yup. Getting much better with it. Still haven't brought myself to put enamels through it yet though.

Ive used a few of the HATAKA sets recently, they have had mixed reviews but I've had no problems with them.