Seafire III, 809 Sqn FAA

Beard

21 hours ago, rob85 said:

The pictures look very nice, must be a good camera on there. 

Very nice work simon, all three look cracking and very nearly finished

Rob

Thanks Rob. Gawd only knows how many megapixels it is but it works pretty well in fairly low light.

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work on all three Simon and glad the Klear worked for you - I bet you let it dry properly eh?

Nice photos too - the Galaxy S7 is it? Nice...

Thanks Ced. Having several models on the go means the Klear gets to dry properly. The phone isn't only a Galaxy S7, it's a Galaxy S7 Edge.

18 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

All three are looking great Simon - all four if you include the XI(?) in the background!

Thanks Cookie and well spotted, that is a MkXI in the background.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beard said:

The phone isn't only a Galaxy S7, it's a Galaxy S7 Edge.

Coooo. I'm an Apple freak myself but I had a quick look at the Samsung site - looks very good! 12M pixel camera and it says:

Some of our most precious memories happen after dark. This is the first smartphone camera to have a professional-grade Dual Pixel Sensor with which you'll now be able to take crisp, clear photos in the dark.

There are a few fnaars to add there, but it explains why your pictures are so good! The 'Gear 360 camera' looks like a novel invention too. Good stuff.

• Like 2

Sunday meant I could spend a few hours on the Seafire. Decals are, nearly, all on:

33006213711_39395de870_b.jpg

The sharp-eyed amongst you will notice that I've started a couple more kits. There will be a prize (for prize, read something that I'm never going to build) for whoever correctly identifies them. (Previous winners are ineligible.)

The Hurricane is pretty much finished, it only needs a gloss coat on the undersurfaces, some weathering, a matt coat and, the pitot installed.

32976548312_6abfb86dc9_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticism welcome.

Edited by Beard
To correct spelling.
  • Like 5

All the decals are on, time for some weathering:

32347119184_be960f4fbc_b.jpg

33064428691_01cc86d1cc_b.jpg

I'm using Tony O'T's method which uses children's poster paints.

33035390622_109e4bd7ce_b.jpg

Still needs some work.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice! Another weathering technique to try...

It's simple Ced: splosh the paint on, let it dry a little, remove it with a damp cotton bud or kitchen towel. Check out some of Tony's builds to see it done properly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beard said:

It's simple Ced: splosh the paint on, let it dry a little, remove it with a damp cotton bud or kitchen towel. Check out some of Tony's builds to see it done properly.

Thanks Simon - must get some... sounds like a technique even I couldn't mess up!

The weathering looks great Simon, and I love the menagerie pics. It looks like a museum, with the picture taken from a balcony.

I can't figure out the other builds - the one with the taped wings looks very Spitfire-ish, Airfix IX? I have no idea what the four-gunned turret is for - are you building a 4E bomber?

I like poster paints for weathering too. You can get them in every color and mix them to your heart's content, and they don't require white spirit to thin or remove.

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

The Hurricane in particular looks damn good.

Thanks PC. I'm pretty happy with the Hurricance, although if I did it again I'd use clear sprue for the wing-tip lights and would like to do a better job on the canopy (hand-painting is not really good enough).

8 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

They're all looking great. I must say the Seafire is looking great with the wash applied. Big thumbs up!

Thank you.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon - must get some... sounds like a technique even I couldn't mess up!

As Cookie says, if it goes wrong it can be washed off. Try it, you really can't go wrong.

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The weathering looks great Simon, and I love the menagerie pics. It looks like a museum, with the picture taken from a balcony.

I can't figure out the other builds - the one with the taped wings looks very Spitfire-ish, Airfix IX? I have no idea what the four-gunned turret is for - are you building a 4E bomber?

I like poster paints for weathering too. You can get them in every color and mix them to your heart's content, and they don't require white spirit to thin or remove.

Thanks Cookie.

You're nearly right with Airfix IX but miles off with the 4-engined bomber, think of something a lot smaller.

I'm going to invest in some gauche and give that a go. I've also been experimenting with using poster paints to weather exhausts, I'll post some photographs of the results.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling and grammar
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Doug Rogers said:

Is the turret from a Defiant Simon?

Nice group of builds you've got there, I admire you're work rate.

Thanks Doug, i generally go for quantity over quality and I'm about to start an Academy Tempest.

It is the turret from a Defiant and there's a prize for correctly identifying it and the 'other' plane I'm making so you're half-way to winning.

• Like 2

I've fitted the undercarriage to the Seafire. No photographs as it's not very interesting. To fill the time, here's a photograph of the weathering on the underside of the Hurricane:

33056575092_4b3a46a1cd_b.jpg

To dirty?

On my way home, I passed one of the local charity shops and bought this for a tenner:

32830691230_bffd3fc2df_b.jpg

Not the best painting ever but I like it.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Beard said:

Not the best painting ever but I like it.

I quite like it. This is the only artwork I have hanging in my house:

32836271420_d5696ec7df_h.jpg2017-03-02_09-54-11 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I think it's one of the finest things in creation and it pleases me immensely whenever I pass by it.

• Like 7

Another vote for nice artwork, both Simon's and PC's :thumbsup2: .

Nice find Simon, It's done in a calming style :).

I think I may have missed it, but what kit did you use for the Hurricane? Is it the Airfix one? Modern scribed panel line one or the older riveted type?

It looks very good. I think the weathering is just right as is for an in service warplane.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony. It's the newer tool (fabric-wing) one. I have 4 or 5 of the older one which, i think, was released in 1979. There's also an even older one, I think that's the one with the rivets, the last one of those I had was used as a Christmas tree decoration.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 3

I did a little yesterday afternoon then off to see the Handsome Family.

33204462386_e5984ae7f4_b.jpg

I thought the canopy had gone on pretty well, this photograph proves me wrong.

I also weathered the underside:

33106839182_17b8981bf6_b.jpg

Too much?

Thanks for looking and your comments are welcome.

• Like 5