The beast from the East, ICM's new Mig-25 RBT. FINISHED!!!

A truly gorgeous aircraft and your doing it total justice,  nice work on top of the fuselage, i know we keep saying it but on top of the box there, its a big unit

Good stuff

Glynn

• Like 1

Supersonic snuck up on me too. Love that grey its the actual colour required. The cockpit is looking special too. Great surface detail, great 25 in the making. Pity your going to work I will have to wait for you to pick this back up. 

I propose a WOW group build... (Week Off Work) so guys like CRAIG can build consecutively with no breaks.. great work

• Like 2

Thanks again guys.

I finished the over all grey but the more I looked at it the less I was happy with it, not that the colour was wrong but that it was too uniform over the whole airframe. So to make it a bit more interesting I mixed up a colour that is slightly lighter than the original and sprayed it roughly in the centre of the panels. I am happy with the result, gives it that "Mother Russia couldn't build a big enough hangar for it so she left it out and the open" look about it. Have a look and let me know what you think.

DSC05074_zpsmhtuvubj.jpg

DSC05075_zpsn01sx1os.jpg

Not the best of pictures but hopefully you get the idea.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 7

Loving the subtlety of the paint. Far better than a strong cartoon type wash etc etc. Top job, well done.

I reckon you could maybe gently break it up a bit more with some more shades. Trouble is - when to stop..? :)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Very nice touch Craig, looking suitably faded. I'm sure you know already but watch out for the gloss layers, can't tell you how many times I've shaded it to look just right to my eye at this stage, then it all disappears under successive clear layers :doh: . Keep up the top work!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Very nice touch Craig, looking suitably faded. I'm sure you know already but watch out for the gloss layers, can't tell you how many times I've shaded it to look just right to my eye at this stage, then it all disappears under successive clear layers :doh: . Keep up the top work!

Thats very true. Sometimes you do need to go too far then it normally gets reigned back with the decal varnishes... 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Thats very true. Sometimes you do need to go too far then it normally gets reigned back with the decal varnishes... 

yeah it's a PITA! :winkgrin: At least if you go maybe over the top you can always tone it down even after the decals are on with very thin layers of paint to blend it post decals. Trying to introduce shading later on after the decals is more tricky (but doable) !

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys and I know what you mean about paint effects disappearing, I have masked her up for painting the dielectric panels ( a job which took me far longer than I thought it would) and will then need to do the anti-glare panel on the nose. After that i will hopefully be ready to apply some gloss varnish, sparingly!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

yeah it's a PITA! :winkgrin: At least if you go maybe over the top you can always tone it down even after the decals are on with very thin layers of paint to blend it post decals. Trying to introduce shading later on after the decals is more tricky (but doable) !

I'm going to have to tone down the markings too, can't have bright factory fresh markings on a faded paint job.

Might use the old micromesh for this, carefully.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Micromesh may take away the top layer of decal to show a white or something type base layer?

Thats the plan with the national markings as pictures show that when they are worn they reveal white underneath. Good idea for overspraying the other markings Tony, should tone them down a treat.

• Like 2

looking good still Craig. As some have sugested, maybe overdo the lightness and then overspray everything with a thin filter of grey to blend it all in once decalling is finished. Either, it's coming along nicley

Andy

• Like 2

Having been looking at some photos of the MiG-25 lately I noticed the paintwork seemed to fade and chalk quite badly so a good deal of weathering wouldn't be wrong for this one. Certainly what you've done so far looks appropriate.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Red Dot said:

looking good still Craig. As some have sugested, maybe overdo the lightness and then overspray everything with a thin filter of grey to blend it all in once decalling is finished. Either, it's coming along nicley

Andy

Is there a way to post highlight detail with brushes?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Is there a way to post highlight detail with brushes?

Yes val it's  called dry brushing, is this what you  mean,, dip the end of your brush in a lighter colour to that which  is painted with the detail rub most of the paint off the brush onto a paper towel  and gently flick the brush over the high detail parts or corners and edges a few times , remember very little paint, you hardly want to see any coming off the brush ,find an old scrap piece on which to practice, if you didn't mean this ,and you meant somthing else " plastix" is in my regard the best brush painter, he doesn't use an airbrush,,so gently  quiz him for tips im sure he'll oblige.

Glynn

• Like 4

Right then time for a bit of an update. All the painting is now done on the airframe and I am seriously cheesed off with masking, it seems to take me ages! Quite happy with how she is looking now and shall hopefully get some gloss varnish on her over the weekend, and then the fun of decalling can begin! So many stencils, I swear they  have rewritten War and Peace over the airframe! Anyway, here are some piccies....

DSC05101_zpsrqdpquwn.jpg

I have made the nose anti-glare area look a bit weathered, and yes the circle of grey is supposed to be there as it is some kind of access panel which is often left grey rather than painted black and it adds a bit of interest.

DSC05102_zpsmb0y4npl.jpg

A couple of pics of the tail and rear fuselage area showing the extensive area left in natural metal, this may get a bit more weathering/heat staining later.

DSC05103_zps8ibhbvkt.jpg

DSC05104_zpsfxvswgka.jpg

And finally the cockpit canopy, which I think is finished. I have done the padded area as best I can (far from perfect) and added a foldable blast screen, for when they would have dropped a dose of instant sunshine on us capitalist pigs in the West.

DSC05105_zps9zul8tse.jpg

I shall be adding the pink "goo" nearer the end of the build.

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Right then time for a bit of an update. All the painting is now done on the airframe and I am seriously cheesed off with masking, it seems to take me ages! Quite happy with how she is looking now and shall hopefully get some gloss varnish on her over the weekend, and then the fun of decalling can begin! So many stencils, I swear they  have rewritten War and Peace over the airframe! Anyway, here are some piccies....

DSC05101_zpsrqdpquwn.jpg

I have made the nose anti-glare area look a bit weathered, and yes the circle of grey is supposed to be there as it is some kind of access panel which is often left grey rather than painted black and it adds a bit of interest.

A couple of pics of the tail and rear fuselage area showing the extensive area left in natural metal, this may get a bit more weathering/heat staining later.

DSC05103_zps8ibhbvkt.jpg

DSC05104_zpsfxvswgka.jpg

And finally the cockpit canopy, which I think is finished. I have done the padded area as best I can (far from perfect) and added a foldable blast screen, for when they would have dropped a dose of instant sunshine on us capitalist pigs in the West.

DSC05105_zps9zul8tse.jpg

I shall be adding the pink "goo" nearer the end of the build.

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

looks fantastic Craig!

I like your version of the metallic areas more than mine....

one question regarding the curtain in your canopy: might they be only used in two-seaters for night flying training?

cheers, 

Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Wowzas! The silver is like real metal, the overall finish is perfect, looking awesome 25 Comrade..glad it's weekend and I can look forward to some further work. 

• Like 1

Lovely work on every aspect of this one. I'm particularly impressed with the canopy details but they will sit well within the overall model due to the high quality of every part of it.

• Like 1