The beast from the East, ICM's new Mig-25 RBT. FINISHED!!!

Good work on the forward fuselage correction, all looks smooth, your painting skills are doing the detail included in this kit proud as well  :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Thanks guys much appreciated.

Well as you asked so nicely @RMP2 here you go, a couple of genuinely trouble free modelling hours and as if by magic a Foxbat appears!

DSC04937_zpspjxsnyh7.jpg

Big beggar isn't it!

The fuselage is all glued and fixed in place but the wings are just temporarily pushed into place for the purpose of the photo. The seemingly tricky multiple pieces that make up the fuselage have gone together very well indeed with just a couple of areas that will require some filler, one of which is the lower fuselage to nose joint which has been mostly dealt with as can be seen in the picture below.

DSC04939_zpso82htva2.jpg

There is a similar gap on the upper fuselage joint which you can see below.

DSC04938_zpsi1oguldn.jpg

Shouldn't be too much of a problem to sort out.

I have also done another of the mods to turn this into one of the aircraft that I have photographic evidence of being based in East Germany during the early 70's, namely shortening and re-profiling the upper lip of the intakes so that they look like this.

DSC04940_zpss9iogpno.jpg

Just need to touch up the paint where it has been removed by re-profiling. In case you are wondering the kit ones extend by about another 5mm or so, which is perfectly correct for later built models.

Might need to leave this one alone for a couple of days so that I can continue on my F-16 before @trickyrich starts jumping up and down on me for not finishing it! But don't worry I have been enjoying this build and GB so much that i will not be able to leave it alone.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 7

Chunky monkey it is! Little filling issues dont look much trouble as you say. Starting to get tempted, but I have made a vow to finish the stash first... might take a while at my rate.

ps - F-16s are boring. ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Chunky monkey it is! Little filling issues dont look much trouble as you say. Starting to get tempted, but I have made a vow to finish the stash first... might take a while at my rate.

ps - F-16s are boring. ;)

Be tempted, be very tempted! You will not be disappointed, you get an awful lot of very well engineered plastic for your money.

And yes F-16's are not as exciting as these bad boys (or other Soviet heavy metal) but in a nice Arctic aggressor scheme they start to get a lot more interesting!

• Like 1

I do keep looking at my 2 seat A-10 and thinking that I dont really like it afterall and could swap it for something I do. Im holding out for some sense re Su-34s for a bit though, see how that all falls (down).

Aye, I remember having 5 or 6 of those lovely Tamiya 1/48s as a teen, 2 or 3 aggressors and then big load outs and a Lizard scheme on others. Nice kits as I recall and F-16s are very pretty when almost bare.

• Like 1

Making short work of this one Craig, great stuff again and nice intake mod! The close ups on the surface detail show it to be really good, I look forward to the painting. Will this be a recon version or a bomber? I'm wondering what weapons (if any) this will have. I used to have the Yefim Gordon book and remember seeing some quite interesting ARM missiles that made it look very impressive. Is it possible to make a camo Mig-25 like this from this kit? If so I may well get one!

53-4.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Might need to leave this one alone for a couple of days so that I can continue on my F-16 before @trickyrich starts jumping up and down on me for not finishing it! But don't worry I have been enjoying this build and GB so much that i will not be able to leave it alone.

who me, jump up and down??? :penguin: :D , cracking the whip more like it! :whip:

wow those are pretty big gaps, plastic sprue may have been easier to fill them with. That camo one above looks interesting, pity it's to late time period wise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Is it possible to make a camo Mig-25 like this from this kit? If so I may well get one!

I'm not 100% sure to be honest David. It's a scheme that I really like myself and intend to do but I'm not too sure if it's possible from the RBT kit, I believe the version in question is an RBF which I know does not have any cameras and has different dielectric panels on the nose, which might have a different shape. If ICM don't release one, which they might, then I'm sure a conversion set will become available as it will be a very popular subject.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

who me, jump up and down??? :penguin: :D , cracking the whip more like it! :whip:

wow those are pretty big gaps, plastic sprue may have been easier to fill them with. That camo one above looks interesting, pity it's to late time period wise.

Oooh there's a whip now! I might just leave the F-16 on purpose!

The gaps look a bit worse on the pics than in real life, and the large looking gaps on the bottom are actually meant to be there, they are vents.

17 hours ago, Hewy said:

thats just about fallen together hasn't it, looking good.

Glynn

Thanks Glynn, I really am impressed with how this kit is going together, almost trouble free.

• Like 2

Now that i have ventured this far down the BM index, i've found it at last Craig. An excellent model so far even if you are only supposed to work on one at a time.

For something that is OOB, it looks really good. Will it be finished for Hinckley?

;)

Andy

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 7:03 PM, PlaStix said:

That is a great looking beast! Lovely progress again!

Cheers Stix, much appreciated.

4 hours ago, Red Dot said:

For something that is OOB, it looks really good. Will it be finished for Hinckley?

Thanks Andy, but no she won't be finished for Hinckley, apparently I have to finish the F-16 first!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The beast is back!

Having finished off the puny Imperialist capitalist stunt jet (F-16) this big chunk of Soviet heavy metal is back on track. The wings have been fixed in place and have continued the theme of overall good fit with very little filler at all being used, here's a pic of the beast with her wings in place.

DSC04975_zpsdy79ciji.jpg

Big bugger isn't she!

And here's a close up of the tiny amount of filler applied to the wing roots.

DSC04976_zpsibzr7yca.jpg

And a similar amount at the rear fuselage, for a seemingly complicated joint area these parts have fitted very well indeed.

DSC04978_zpsa0rsncm4.jpg

The one area of concern has been the joint behind the cockpit area, this has taken a couple of bouts of filler and super glue but is just about sorted and just needs a bit of tidying up now.

DSC04977_zpsrowsgd65.jpg

Hope to get her ready for some paint over the weekend or early next week.

Thanks for your patience and thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

The beast is back!

Having finished off the puny Imperialist capitalist stunt jet (F-16) this big chunk of Soviet heavy metal is back on track. The wings have been fixed in place and have continued the theme of overall good fit with very little filler at all being used, here's a pic of the beast with her wings in place.

DSC04975_zpsdy79ciji.jpg

Big bugger isn't she!

And here's a close up of the tiny amount of filler applied to the wing roots.

DSC04976_zpsibzr7yca.jpg

And a similar amount at the rear fuselage, for a seemingly complicated joint area these parts have fitted very well indeed.

DSC04978_zpsa0rsncm4.jpg

The one area of concern has been the joint behind the cockpit area, this has taken a couple of bouts of filler and super glue but is just about sorted and just needs a bit of tidying up now.

DSC04977_zpsrowsgd65.jpg

Hope to get her ready for some paint over the weekend or early next week.

Thanks for your patience and thanks for looking in.

Craig.

hi Craig,

That is looking great. I hope you are going to do some rescribing and get rid of those scratch marks too. Markus 'Detail Boy' Wuellner is on board now!!

Andy

• Like 4

Love the strap line re the F16 and love the progress, I had been waiting on you. Your 25 is probably actual size it's certainly a beast from the east. Yes weekend paint be great! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red Dot said:

hi Craig,

That is looking great. I hope you are going to do some rescribing and get rid of those scratch marks too. Markus 'Detail Boy' Wuellner is on board now!!

Andy

Cheers Andy, yes the scratch marks will be gone.

If Markus is watching I had better make sure I get everything as right as I can!

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

good job on filling that joint behind the cockpit it looked a tricky area, bit of polishing and we'd never know 

Thanks Glynn, that's the plan, hopefully I can get it sorted tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Love the strap line re the F16 and love the progress, I had been waiting on you. Your 25 is probably actual size it's certainly a beast from the east. Yes weekend paint be great! 

Thanks mate, don't wait for me crack on with yours. I really like your build and 1/72 is probably easier to handle than this I in 1/48, have to watch I don't take an eye out when I turn it around!

46 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Making short work of it Craig, nice one. The raised panel detail looks very well done too, interesting feature for such a high Mach jet. Look forward to the colours going on!

Thanks David, ICM have really done their homework on the panel lines and got raised ones where they should be, I think the Soviet thinking was that it had enough thrust behind it that it was going to make Mach 3 even with raised panel lines, and they were right.

• Like 2

nice!!! It nice to see a model which fits together properly! 

She is a big beast for sure, I've got a resin MiG-31 in the stash, may have to build another shelf for her!

Just let me know when you want the whip brought out!!  :rofl:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice!!! It nice to see a model which fits together properly! 

She is a big beast for sure, I've got a resin MiG-31 in the stash, may have to build another shelf for her!

Just let me know when you want the whip brought out!!  :rofl:

Thanks Rich, Yes it does make a nice change to get a kit that fits together well, I really have to commend ICM because they done a great job on the engineering of this kit.

I would like to see you build the Mig-31, I've got the AMK kit and might build it for the From Russia With Love GB, though I've got no idea where I will put it and the Foxbat!

And no, there's no need for the whip yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

It certainly is a big beast and you're doing a great job with it. 

I keep looking at mine in the box, I'm itching to start it but I have at least 2 other jets ( and several others ) to finish.

John

Thanks John,

It really is a nice kit, I couldn't resist the temptation and it seriously delayed the F-16 I was building as I found I couldn't put it down after I had started it.

How tough was it to add the nose bumps Craig?

As I have an RBT planned for the '...with love' group build.

The coldwar nose set turned up yesterday but the panel lines and hatch details are a bit soft/wonky. They will look inconsistent with the rest of the kit. Another worry I have just thought about it getting a strong join. Dont want a heavy resin nose snapping off...

If people want to see what the nose looks like - pics in here, page 7,  about 2/3rds of the way down. 

So its either fill and rescribe the resin nose or add the bump to the kit nose? Lesser of two evils...

Or sack it all together and do the hobbyboss mig-31 as not seen one on here yet...? 

• Like 1