The beast from the East, ICM's new Mig-25 RBT. FINISHED!!!

nice work on the IP and cockpit, I like very much!!

It's very strange they missed out the IP cover, you should be able to find some good photos of it online.

gee now that's done you'll have time to go back to the F-16!!! :P  Though I do admit as well the aircraft on that side of the border are more interesting!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

It's very strange they missed out the IP cover

They didn't Rich, I was having a "senior moment".

51 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

I'm glad you found the coaming before you made a new one :thumbsup:

Not as glad as i am David! I did have a plan to build the new one though.

30 minutes ago, Hewy said:

are those the mig 21 fabric seat belts or the pe either way thats the biz,

Thanks Glynn, they're the pe ones from a Mig-21 kit, fortunately it's the same seat.

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments and for looking in.

• Like 2

Yes looking very good mate! 

Making me want to start mine immediately if not sooner...

too much to do and not enough time! 

Speaking of the seat and the belt situation- thought about doing what you did, Or going all the way and putting an eduard brassin KM-1 seat from their mig 21 line in it to go with the resin coldwar nose. Will defo start the kit when that turns up... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Or going all the way and putting an eduard brassin KM-1 seat from their mig 21 line

Starts to get expensive then unless they did them separately? :hmmm: can't remember TBH :wacko: I didn't know or had forgotten (you choose which) that they used the same seats. :doh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Starts to get expensive then unless they did them separately? :hmmm: can't remember TBH :wacko: I didn't know or had forgotten (you choose which) that they used the same seats. :doh:

Yeah they sell them separately. Got one in the stash, but the 'late' one. May not be appropriate for a 70's 25, perhaps better for an 80's czech 21. Need to do some research...

Here's early one...

https://www.eduard.com/store/Aircraft-and-helicopters/1-48/MiG-21-seat-early-1-48.html?lang=1&cur=1

I assume its the same? The KM-1 seat is fitted to several soviet jets. Perhaps small differences? 

Similar as in the gru-7 in a couple, Naces/Aces seats in a few US/USN jets I suppose...?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Those Quickboost seats do look very nice, I think I will look into getting a couple for some of my Mig-21's.

Thanks for the link Tony.

I agree super seats craig, but yours dont look any worse than those,

• Like 1

Time for a bit of an update.

Not a huge amount done this week due to being on late shift which gives me very little modelling time but here's how she stands at the moment.

I decided to get some work done on "the beasts" bum, namely the engines. These are very well detailed for kit parts and more than good enough for me to use straight from the box, with a bit of painting of course. Here's a couple of pics of them in progress.

This one shows one of the turbines with the afterburner ring added to it.

DSC04897_zpssbf2ie5d.jpg

And added to one half of the cans.

DSC04896_zpse5nuukgh.jpg

The exhaust has now been finished but I haven't taken any pics of it yet, hopefully I will get it done tomorrow.

I decided to stray from the instructions a bit (I don't think I'm alone in doing this) and have fitted the support frame that the front fuselage fits on to in place and have added the first parts of the ducting to them, the intention is to then fit the front intakes to them and then slip the front fuselage in place between them, well that's the plan anyway! Here's a pic.

DSC04898_zpsvm6pzy0f.jpg

I have also done some work on the forward fuselage, I have made the DISS antenna from a scrap piece of plastic super-glued to the fuselage and then used more super-glue to fill the edges and when dry the whole lump was filed and sanded into a shape vaguely resembling the real thing. This then needs re-scribing which i have had a (poor) go at, it still needs a bit of finishing off (hence the filler in a couple of places).

DSC04899_zps0lvnrv6x.jpg

Well that's it for now, hopefully more tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8

Lovely work Craig, the exhausts look suitably battered, I guess they are so large you can actually see in there for a change!

I don't know much about Russian kit so are you having to modify the kit for the Mig-25 version you are doing with this DISS antennae? Is it part of the bombing or recon kit? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Is it part of the bombing or recon kit? 

Good question David, I'm sure someone out there knows for certain but it's not me! If I had to guess I would say it looks like some sort of doppler gear which would help with both the recce and bombing roles. It is fitted to nearly all the RB/RBT's apart from some very early ones, but the recce versions can be a bit of a mish-mash of different standards, all very Russian!

• Like 1

A couple more pics before I take some later which will show the fuselage (hopefully) mostly complete.

Here are a couple of the completed engines, as I said earlier all completely out of the box with no added extras.

DSC04927_zpsugvpo46u.jpg

DSC04929_zpsc3qe95yr.jpg

And the intake assemblies added to the forward fuselage, this went together with no problems and made for good alignment and I recommend it for other building this kit.

DSC04931_zpsvlf5uepg.jpg

And a view down one of the intakes showing how good these are straight from the box.

DSC04934_zpspgvy5m7e.jpg

And yes I made use of some rare sunlight to get a reasonable shot down the intake, you have to take these opportunities when you can this time of year!

Thanks for looking, more updates later!

Craig.

• Like 5