1/72 - Curtiss P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - P-40D/E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III/Mk.IV released - new P-40F/L boxing

Homebee

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon

Thank you for sharing these very nice box arts ..

Looks like that I am going to buy some boxes as soon as they will be available to replace the Academy ons that I have in my stash  ..

Patrice  

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:40 AM, Procopius said:

The less said about both the better. Horrible builds. 

Whats the problem areas on the Sword ktis? I've got a good old mix of currently available Sword, Special Hobby, Hasegawa and Academy P-40's but I'm still interested in the new kits.

thanks

Mike

Just now, Mikemx said:

Whats the problem areas on the Sword ktis? I've got a good old mix of currently available Sword, Special Hobby, Hasegawa and Academy P-40's but I'm still interested in the new kits.

Nose intake. Quarterlights. Wing to fuselage join. Fitting the interior in the kit. Spinner/prop assembly. 

The AZ/Legato P-40 has no cockpit coaming, you have to add it yourself. The things that bothered me most about the Sword Kittyhawk III/P-40K were the side windows (are these the quarterlights?): they don't sit flush, and it's a difficult proposition to sand down flat clear plastic and get it polished again, or digging out a deeper 'trough' for them. I just left 'em and they really bothered me, but must admit that it's not really noticeable anymore, and I had forgotten all about them when viewing them on the shelf. Anyway, don't get rid of your Sword kits, they are buildable, PC and I both managed it!

I'm really looking forward to the SH Kittyhawks, hopefully they have the Academy's ease of construction with the pleasant shape of the AZ and Sword kits. What? It could happen.

43 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

The AZ/Legato P-40 has no cockpit coaming, you have to add it yourself. The things that bothered me most about the Sword Kittyhawk III/P-40K were the side windows (are these the quarterlights?): they don't sit flush, and it's a difficult proposition to sand down flat clear plastic and get it polished again, or digging out a deeper 'trough' for them. I just left 'em and they really bothered me, but must admit that it's not really noticeable anymore, and I had forgotten all about them when viewing them on the shelf. Anyway, don't get rid of your Sword kits, they are buildable, PC and I both managed it!

I'm really looking forward to the SH Kittyhawks, hopefully they have the Academy's ease of construction with the pleasant shape of the AZ and Sword kits. What? It could happen.

+ 1.

The Sword kit is certainly far more than just buildable. I just replaced the parts you had a problem with acetate sheet. Much more realistic and only 5 Minutes work , no more...

But for some ( not you at first sight !)  a kit is just unbuildable because you still need glue,a little putty ,paint, thinner and water and simply said some technique ....

Madcop :D

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Nick Nichols said:

Is there any news about the sale?

Available

- ref. SH72142 - P-40F Warhawk "Guadalcanal" - https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/p-40f-warhawk-guadalcanal-hawks.html

- ref. SH72155 - P-40F Warhawk "Africa" - https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/p-40-f-warhawk-short-tails-over-africa.html

- ref. SH72211 - P-40F/L & Kittyhawk Mk.IIA - https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/p-40f-l-kittyhawk-mk-iia-raf-and-fafl-2-i.html

Still quoted as "coming soon" by the producer

- ref. SH72374 - P-40N Warhawk - https://www.specialhobby.eu/vlastni-produkce-1/special-hobby/p-40n-warhawk-1-72.html

- ref. SH72377 - Kittyhawk Mk.IA - https://www.specialhobby.eu/vlastni-produkce-1/special-hobby/kittyhawk-mk-ia-1-72.html

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

2 hours ago, Homebee said:

Good morning V.P

I hope that you don't mind if I say that the P40F familly were first released in 2008 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/112427-special-hobby-sh72155-p-40-f-warhawk 

And I hope that Special Hobby have improved their tooling for the forthcoming  Warhawk and Kittyhawk

Best regards

Patrice

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

I like the decal options for the E model... an RCAF one...nice it will look good with my Hasegawa build in 1/48th in the same markings.

Paul, just as a curiosity, decals for AK905 are also inlcuded in one of the Legato boxes of the AZ kit.

26 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Paul, just as a curiosity, decals for AK905 are also inlcuded in one of the Legato boxes of the AZ kit.

Cheers Giorgio, I'm in no hurry to build one just yet but will consider the option. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like a P-40E to me, all of the options are for Kittyhawk Ia = P-40E.

Your announcement that the P-40F had been released caught me by surprise I must say, I thought the E was first followed by the N.  I thought the F was a long way off yet?

Edited by Wez

17 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

The F is part of SH's existing short run line and is being re-released alongside the new tool Allison engined variants.

It is...not great.

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The F is part of SH's existing short run line and is being re-released alongside the new tool Allison engined variants.

What confused me was the topic title, I thought mention of the P-40F release was linked to Homebee's last post regarding the P-40E/Kittyhawk Ia colour schemes, I can see now in the words of Edward Bear (Chapter 3 of AA Milne's great book), "I have been foolish and deluded", in my defence, it's my age:banghead:

• Like 1