1/72 - Curtiss P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - P-40D/E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III/Mk.IV released - new P-40F/L boxing

Homebee

9 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Presumably, these ones (sheet from the P-40K box) .. at least they are consistent throughout. 

A bit hard to tell on a monitor but they don't too bad to me, certainly dark enough as opposed to some of the turquoise or electric blue shockers we've had in the past. Possibly they could be slightly bluer, on my monitor they have a greyish tinge but maybe that is fading. I would be happy to use them.

Steve.

But do you think that the same cat was painted on both sides at Wairarapa Wildcat? Or in general - Were the nose arts  the same (or mirrored) on both sides? I do not think so.... When you are artist you never paint twice the same picture... In majority of well documented nose arts they are always different on both sides (if they were on both, not only on one)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JWM said:

But do you think that the same cat was painted on both sides at Wairarapa Wildcat?

Interestingly, the "Cat" on both sides is the one thing SH actually got right in their

Decal/markings comments.

This is a Starboard side shot of NZ3072, you can see the Cat clearly enough - I have included a screenshot, with which

you can see the cat

PR1231.t5ee19a64.m800.xtHeA77nl.jpg

12d8f806-da46-4c3c-a303-fb8d262d656b.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used With Permissions)

Was the painting the same on the both sides? We will never truly know?

We can only presume that the "Artists" who plied their trade on these aircraft,

were quite good at their craft.

My belief is that it would have been pretty close,

I don't see any evidence (in close up shots) of a Template to spray on the Cat, so

hand painted.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

is the one thing

Does this mean all else is wrong Alan or did you mean  it is one thing they got right. Sorry if I'm being a pedant, afaics, the decal sheet looked pretty acceptable, but I don't profess anything close to your knowledge where the finer details are concerned.

Steve.

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

Does this mean all else is wrong Alan or did you mean  it is one thing they got right.

Hi Steve,

I was only referring to the little Blog/Comments provided with the profiles with the RNZAF Markings,

where they referred to the fact that NZ3072 flew with 16 Sqn, as Fisken's personal mount which is factually erroneous. 

(hence my mention of  Fisken/NZ3072 with14 Sqn at Guadalcanal, and the other pilot climbing into NZ3072)

They did get the Cat on both sides of aircraft correct.

The Roundels I didn't comment on, as I think the same as you, the Monitor may make them look

greyer than they really are?? FWIW, SH probably could have made life easier for its self if they used the

same Blue as in the RAF Roundels (RAF/RNZAF Blues were similar)

Hope that clarifies things for you?

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Curtiss P-40E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - released
  • 10 months later...

Indeed I am really wondering why Special Hobby is not completing its new-tool P-40 line by adding both a P-40F and a P-40L. Since the sprue for the fuselage is completely separate from the other parts all effort that they would have to make is producing each a new P-40F and P-40L fuselage that fits together with the rest of the parts of the previous releases to create some nice new kits.  My guess is that Special Hobby will probably do that anyway as soon as they have sold off all their old-tool P-40 F/L kits which are still available on their website.

Edited by 112 Squadron

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Curtiss P-40E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - released - new P-40D boxing
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Curtiss P-40E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - released - new P-40D boxing in 2023

I'd think not. 
At a stretch (pun intended) you may find someone like LF Models doing a resin conversion set for a Q-1 but the -2 needs a completely new, cut-down fuselage and bubble hood, and provision to clip the wings. 

https://oldmachinepress.com/2015/08/18/curtiss-xp-40q/

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Homebee said:

Schemes & decals - ref. SH72367 - Curtiss P-40D Warhawk/Kittyhawk Mk.I - Four Guns

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2023/01/sh72367-p-40d-warhawk-kittyhawk-mki-172.html

SH72367-P-40-D-Warhawk-Kittyhawk-Mk-I.jp

Glad to see this one finally coming out - it was the first box art they announced 6 years ago!

Does that complete the set or are there other (Allison) versions to come?

Edited by Dave Fleming

29 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Does that complete the set or are there other (Allison) versions to come?

I'd guess so - unless they're planning on doing the model 81s, or the P-40G (which shares wings with the B).

6 hours ago, bad edd said:

: a 30 seconds google search reveled the capture Japanese machine as a 6 MG , not to mention the shape of the yellow painted area...

It seems that manufacturers too often rely on profile drawings from books that have been released decades ago. 

Still annoyed that my P-51D Daddy's Girl the letters are in white, not yellow as they should be. The Superscale decals are probably released before internet. Nowadays manufacturers don't have that excuse, as you say all it takes is one Google search. 

• 3 weeks later...