1/72 - Curtiss P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - P-40D/E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III/Mk.IV released - new P-40F/L boxing

Homebee

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I would bow to Alan Willoughby's @LDSModeller knowledge on this but afaik, the topside colour, roundel colour & codes colours are all a bit suspect, at least as it is represented here.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your Kind comments:lol:, I really wish I had a time machine for all of this:D

This is not the first time Special Hobby have got it SO wrong with RNZAF Markings.

I don't know who or where they get their Intel from but, for a company who wants to  be on the

world market, their research sucks big time.

First off RNZAF Squadrons did not wear Codes (especially Red) in the "Forward Theater's" The Japanese were

quite clever in noting these things - They even knew who "Plonky" (RNZAF TBF-1c) was and promised it would

be shot down (Promise made by Tokyo Rose)..............

The Red Center on the Fuselage Roundel as portrayed as shown, purely fictitious, actual was a "1 inch dot"

This was a Transition period to the Blue/White/Blue Roundel. and stop Blue on Blue attacks by our

Erst while allies.

Colours of the Roundels so wrong

White tails really didn't come into being till the arrival of the "N" Models

The Olive Drab is some what too dark.............

I would suggest, any of the above posters would like to verify any of this, look through

this link from Pete Mossong's site, both K's and M's (Mk III)

RNZAF Mk III P40 K's and M's

Edit - A Caveat - Please note the Colour Profile on Pete's Page of NZ3060 the

uppers colours should be NZ Pacific Green and NZ Sea Blue Grey, not Dark Green and Dark Earth

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello to you all,

First, thanks for all your comments on the boxart. I have to point out they are very useful for me so I will be able to design the decals so that

all the colours and markings would be as close to the reality as only possible. I think I might begin designing the sheet and colour schemes sometimes

during early Autumn (the kit being scheduled for December) and I will be extremely happy to be able to cooperate with Alan or any other RNZAF expert

here, do believe me.

Secondly, the artist has based his painting, besides other sources, also on these two images (below). The colour side profile seems to have originated from Peter Mossong's

website, although I cannot find it there now. Both the picture and the photo mention that the camo was not Olive Drab, but Foliage Green instead. If the level of research

increased since the time the side profile had been created, we have no problem in making our colour schemes in other colours.

And yes, I can see now the controversy in the Roundel and fuselage letters colours, however, the size of the "dot" seems to be quite okay.

Lastly, the Japanese Zero the Kitty is chasing - please take it as some kind of artistic licence. It adds to the overal atmosphere of the art, though not being very accurate from the historic point of view.

Thanks again and I hope we could cooperate further on the kit.

Petr

NZ3061.jpg

FE-A+KNZ3061.GIF

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, petr@SpecialHobby said:

Hello to you all,

First, thanks for all your comments on the boxart. I have to point out they are very useful for me so I will be able to design the decals so that

all the colours and markings would be as close to the reality as only possible. I think I might begin designing the sheet and colour schemes sometimes

during early Autumn (the kit being scheduled for December) and I will be extremely happy to be able to cooperate with Alan or any other RNZAF expert

here, do believe me.

Secondly, the artist has based his painting, besides other sources, also on these two images (below). The colour side profile seems to have originated from Peter Mossong's

website, although I cannot find it there now. Both the picture and the photo mention that the camo was not Olive Drab, but Foliage Green instead. If the level of research

increased since the time the side profile had been created, we have no problem in making our colour schemes in other colours.

And yes, I can see now the controversy in the Roundel and fuselage letters colours, however, the size of the "dot" seems to be quite okay.

Lastly, the Japanese Zero the Kitty is chasing - please take it as some kind of artistic licence. It adds to the overal atmosphere of the art, though not being very accurate from the historic point of view.

Thanks again and I hope we could cooperate further on the kit.

Petr

NZ3061.jpg

FE-A+KNZ3061.GIF

Hi Petr,

The above Photo and profile are actually showing the aircraft after the RNZAF P40 Fleet returned to New Zealand circa 1944, 

being replaced by the F4U-1 Corsair on the front lines in the Islands.

After return to New Zealand the P40 fleet was relegated to the training role for pilots, who would go

on to fly the F4U-1 Corsair.

Some of these P 40's were Re-painted in Foliage Green/Sky Grey/White tails over the original/previous scheme.

The above photos comes from "RNZAF the First Decade" by Charles Darby.

If you want to portray a New Zealand based P 40K or M in your grand scheme of things

in your markings as above, that would be very welcome I think:clap2:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Alan, it is quite understood that the machine was NZ based. Both Mossong and Darby mention Ohakea.

A note on the fuselage Red Dot - Just now I am looking at the photo in Darby's book (page 75, about A5 size picture, nicely reproduced in the book)

and the colour of the fuselage roundel centre does look a bit different from the Roundel Blue, so why not in Red?

On 7/2/2018 at 6:07 PM, kotey said:

Begemot work about P-40 in USSR decals:
P-40s%20in%20USSR.jpg

P-40s%20in%20USSR%202.jpg

Hi!

Related to 191 IAP planes: At least #23 which was got war-booty by Finns, definately had silver tail, spinner and numbers. Tis is not visible from pictures taken during a dull day but clearly visible in a picture where sun is shining almost horizontally.

Cheers,

AaCee

7 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Nope, he edited the thread title by adding the "- P-40K box art" to it instantly after my posting. Nothing escapes him 😉. V-P

I couldn't and still can't find a picture of the box art on this thread, that's where my comment came from.

Edit:

Only meanwhile Dave Fleming has posted it above

• Haha 1

Just now, Dave Fleming said:

Post #97

Now I see why I missed it, it's only a FB link, not the actual picture.

Or do you have to be logged in to FB to see it here on this BM thread ?

21 hours ago, petr@SpecialHobby said:

Alan, it is quite understood that the machine was NZ based. Both Mossong and Darby mention Ohakea.

A note on the fuselage Red Dot - Just now I am looking at the photo in Darby's book (page 75, about A5 size picture, nicely reproduced in the book)

and the colour of the fuselage roundel centre does look a bit different from the Roundel Blue, so why not in Red?

Petr,

Just bear in mind that while we are ever grateful to Charles Darby (who incidentally I have met), more

modern research especially by the RNZAF has shown a number of errors in his book.

The Red centre for New Zealand based aircraft is correct, if you look at this link below of a 2 OTU mate

you can see the red centre long after the Blue has faded

2 OTU Aircraft Rukuhia

The RNZAF Roundel Blue as shown in the artwork above never existed on RNZAF aircraft both overseas

in the combat zones or back home in New Zealand, and this link from a profile page (pg 33) in Darby's book

is a case in point - light blue never existed on either of the P40K's (or any WWII RNZAF aircraft)

Darby Book P40K Roundel

The RNZAF had standard WWII Roundel colours - from the RNZAF Museum - note the Actual Dark Blue

Correct RNZAF Roundel Blue Colour

As far as the Red Code Letters go in the above artwork, wrong OTU. The Red codes belonged to 4 OTU who incidentally had red

spinners also - this is direct from our expert at the RNZAF Museum

2 OTU wore Sky Codes with a white spinner - Both OTU's were at Ohakea

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

• 1 month later...