1/72 - Curtiss P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - P-40D/E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III/Mk.IV released - new P-40F/L boxing

Homebee

16 hours ago, Homebee said:

Decals - ref. SH72380 - Curtiss Kittyhawk Mk.III RNZAF 

Nice to see an RNZAF P40K, but the Roundels are the wrong Blue.

Should be a Darker Blue in colour like this

c3641d32-039b-4ae9-9ca7-982e7f12e6a3.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm late to this party and have just read the thread (very pleased to see the correction of the RNZAF markings, that's the boxing I'll get) and have just had a look at a comprehensive in-box review.  It is a gorgeous-looking kit, but I'm surprised there hasn't been (have I missed it?) discussion about the fabric effect on the control surfaces. They look awful! I've only seen half a dozen or so P-40s in the flesh but none of them had such an odd, depressed look to the fabric.

Any word on the P-40M ?? They have a photo of the fuselage early in this thread.

Have been building these with the P-40N the one I have built the most so far. Thanks to the DK Decals for the most part and couple of Dutch decals

Rick

Edited by rickpeck

On 6/24/2019 at 10:27 PM, k5054nz said:

I'm late to this party and have just read the thread (very pleased to see the correction of the RNZAF markings, that's the boxing I'll get) and have just had a look at a comprehensive in-box review.  It is a gorgeous-looking kit, but I'm surprised there hasn't been (have I missed it?) discussion about the fabric effect on the control surfaces. They look awful! I've only seen half a dozen or so P-40s in the flesh but none of them had such an odd, depressed look to the fabric.

I wouldn't call them awful  but they did mold them with hard lines rather than a smooth impression of the ribs and frames, so I did use some 800 grit sand paper over them to reduce the effect.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New tribute boxing (link) for the recently deceased Czechoslovak modelling guru & journalist Mr. Václav Šorel, from the Special Hobby P-40F Warhawk kit:

- ref. SH7144 - Curtiss P-40F Warhawk "Pocta Václavu Šorelovi". 

Available here: https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/other-labels/eduard/plastic-kits/p-40f-warhavk-pocta-vaclavu.html

CURTISS P-40F WARHAWK ‘POCTA VÁCLAVU ŠORELOVI’

To honour Mr.Václav Šorel, writer, journalist and the true guru of Czechoslovak modellers who has recently passed away, Special Hobby in collaboration with Eduard are releasing a collectors' model kit 7144 P-40F ‘Tribute to Václav Šorel’. The proceeds were planned to be used for Mr.Šorel's medical treatment, now after his death they are going to be used to commemorate his memory with dignity.

The model can be purchased solely via Special Hobby and Eduard e-shops.

Vaclav+Sorel.jpg P-40F+01.jpg 

Source: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/3923497354331849

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

I suppose, all modellers in Czechoslovakia, who started modelling during late 70's - early 80's (probably even earlier, but then I am too "young" to remember😀), grew up on Vaclav Sorel's articles, profiles and books. The Warhawk tribute kit has been based on an article and colour profile, published in the 80's in ABC magazine (subtitled "ABC of young technicians and scientists - entertaining educational bi-weekly for boys and girls").

Before someone starts digging in the deficiencies of the actual airplane representation - the profile in ABC has been proven to be partly inaccurate by recent research, including probably even wrong Warhawk variant. However, the companies decided to issue the model exactly as presented by Mr. Sorel back in the 80's, as an integral part of the tribute.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Curtiss P-40E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - released - new P-40M boxing
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Curtiss P-40E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - released - new P-40M/Mk.III in Spring 2021
  • 2 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Curtiss P-40E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - released - new P-40M/Mk.III in June 2021

NZ3072

Re NZ3072 in the above SH Link.

NZ3072 served earlier with 16 Squadron at Santos, but didn't have the cat painting then,

I believe that was added later by US Personnel, the white outline was for a "Publicity shoot".

This aircraft/Fisken served with RNZAF 14 Squadron later at Guadalcanal, and Fisken didn't

always fly NZ3072, there is a photo of a Flying Officer WJ Polson climbing aboard NZ3072 at Guadalcanal

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

The colours of the RNZAF roundels look good to my eye from that art work, fingers crossed. :)

Steve.

Presumably, these ones (sheet from the P-40K box) .. at least they are consistent throughout. 

y4m9WvaRyhP92dSMvhPd9LJZFDrMFekkRr_pyjgL

• Like 1