1/72 - Curtiss P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - P-40D/E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III/Mk.IV released - new P-40F/L boxing

Homebee

8 hours ago, Wez said:

in my defence, it's my age:banghead:

In your defence, it's actually very confusing: we've got all kinds of variants (long tails, short tails, Merlin engines, Allison engines, canopy configurations) mixed up with various Special Hobby production runs.

The most concise way I can describe it with my own limited understanding is that the Merlin variants (P-40F and L [Kittyhawk II]) are short run kits from a few years ago. Special Hobby then decide to make the Allison variants (E, K, M, N) to complete the line, and these are just now being released for the first time, and are up to the standard of their more recent releases (Mirage F1, Griffon Spitfires etc), and therefore, I assume, don't share any of the tooling with the Merlin kits. I hope I've got that right! Phew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Homebee said:

Czech in box review ref SH72374 - P-40N Warhawk

http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/en/2018/01/25/172-p-40n-warhawk-special-hobby/

V.P.

If Google Translate is to be believed, the review is favourable. Having just got mine it certainly looks a nice kit in the box, I haven't had a chance to check it against any documentation yet.

• Like 1

Dedicated CMK upgrade sets.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/specialhobby/posts/1666081343486723

CMK sets for 1/72 scale Special Hobby P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk
- ref. 129-7386 P-40 - Control Surfaces, 129-7387 P-40E/K/M/N - Armament Set

- ref. 129-7388 P-40E - Engine Set, 129-7389 P-40 - Undercarriage Set (contains wheel well structure and canvas covers)

- ref.129-Q72296 P-40 Wheels – Block Tread on right undercariage leg

- ref. 129-Q72295 P-40 Wheels – Diamond Tread on left undercariage leg

27858044_1666081046820086_52817568586095

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done the ol' accuracy check on these, or are they waiting for me to buy three or four first before revealing they're actually closer to the F-16 shapewise?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Has anyone done the ol' accuracy check on these, or are they waiting for me to buy three or four first before revealing they're actually closer to the F-16 shapewise?

Well it's a moot point because it depends on the accuracy of the plans doesn't it?

I've got the MBI books and I could compare the kits to those but that's not a lot of use if those were the plans the kit was designed to, I'd expect them to match!  I have another set of plans somewhere in the vault that I could also compare the P-40E to but if the kit doesn't match those who's to say those plans were correct anyway?

I haven't had a chance to check the kits against any plans yet but I can say they look enough like P-40's to me to buy more, but then, I felt like that about the Academy kits which are apparently not without fault.

FWIW, I've used my best Czech translation software (OK, Google Translate), to translate the summary of the ModelWeb review linked previously and it looks favourable.

I just waved some bits at the Kagero top shot drawings(only ones i have)Looks ok. My only critique of the kits so far is that the panel lines on the fuselage are a little heavy (finer on the wings for some reason!) and the sidewalls once in place looks quick thick.Apart from that they go together really well.It's nice to build a P-40 in 1/72nd scale without unleashing a barrage of swear words.

Edited by Gwart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll agree with that! It's a very nice kit to put together and you don't need to use all that much in the way of filler, either. Just a tad around the tailplanes and fin though if you take some more care than I did test fitting you shouldn't need any. The only thing to watch out for would be the wing trailing edges. They're a bit thick but some careful sanding will take car of that little foible!

Mike.:)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Interesting that there haven't been any subsequent releases of different variants/decals yet

Special Hobby do seem to take a while between releases, plenty of Desert AF schemes for thes aircraft.

Good morning

In fact there are already plenty of decals sheets  https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=P+40+DECALS+1%2F72

Of course some of them are out of stock and any new sheets are welcome ...

I must admit that I would be very interested to know if SH plans to release other boxings in the future  ..

And by the way have you seen this one in your LHS https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1074913-special-hobby-sh72367-curtiss-p40-warhawk ?

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I must admit that I would be very interested to know if SH plans to release other boxings in the future  ..

Hi Patrice,

if you look at this post earlier in the thread you can see what they planned

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

And by the way have you seen this one in your LHS https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1074913-special-hobby-sh72367-curtiss-p40-warhawk ?

Patrice

I don't think that one has appeared yet - Scalemates is wrong as it's based on the new kit (see here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235016353-172-curtiss-p-40efn-warhawkkittyhawk-by-special-hobby-p-40n-emkia-released-cmk-sets/&do=findComment&comment=2706551)

It's non appearance, along with the other variants does make me wonder if it hasn't sold as well as hoped, which would be a shame as it's a lovely kit

• Like 1

• 1 month later...