West German F-104G x 2

Thank you Craig and glad you like it so far. I like it though tbh the painting hasn't turned out how I really wanted it, next time I'm going to use acylics or the new MRP paint range and see if it gets closer to the goal :)

Wow that multi shaded Base coat you applied has really paid dividends David 

Every thing about it says quality, the attention to detail is top drawer 

Glynn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mirageiv said:

Thank you Glynn, in the end after all the post shading and repainting the initial preshading was completely lost, at the start it did help break things up a bit though :)

David

I'll bet it wouldn't look the same without the preshading. Subtleties are just that.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 20:47, mirageiv said:

Thank you Glynn, in the end after all the post shading and repainting the initial preshading was completely lost, at the start it did help break things up a bit though :)

David

there looks to be a real depth to the finish david maybe not completely obvious but if you painted on top of straight grey primer that wouldn't be the outcome, post touching up or not, real good 

glynn

• Like 1

Well that was a bit optimistic :doh:, work got in the way, still plugging away with 5-6 sub assemblies. Lesson learnt on this build, don't build the bare minimum in a rush to get to the painting stage as quick as possible, then leave the remaining 40% of the build still to do! Maybe next weekend (or the one after that :whistle: )

• Like 2

Yes Glynn, every time without fail! :)

In the end the very different oranges on the tanks bugged me if I'm honest, so I went and resprayed a more used colour, though there is still some asymmetry in the colours between the pair. Also, despite having loads of references and seeing thousands of pictures over the last years I still managed to stick on one of the stencils the wrong way around on the tanks but it is so minor I won't bother changing it now (I expect Jürgen (Jaybee) can spot it! ^_^

L1110229_zpsws8gwfvf.jpg

A small thing but I feel it has made everything a bit 'more scale' to my eye,

L1110231_zps8dmwrxkb.jpg

The pitot tube painted and weathered. There seemed to be a few colours on it, I used this picture as the main reference (great high resolution pic btw!):  

Lockheed RF-104G Starfighter  21+18

The very tip was sprayed Alclad exhaust to represent the heating  saw on a few other pictures,

L1110237_zpsefbesdy0.jpg

Interior of the open doors that is sort of visible (left) and the final stencils added to the main ones,

L1110248_zpsmo5byui0.jpg

Legs and wheels. I ended up using Brassin wheels (that are noticeably smaller than the kit ones) because the detail is pretty amazing,

L1110253_zpss9udvdr1.jpg

Attention has turned back to the cockpits now and first thing to sort out is the seat.

L1110256_zps5z7tprm0.jpg

Left to right is Aires, Eduard Brassin and True Details (ex Black Box). German Mk GQ7a had two head box styles, the later square (Aires) and the earlier 70's more triangular one (Eduard). With great thanks to fellow member Jaybee (Thank you Jürgen!) he found out that even in the late 70's F-104s were having the later head box style introduced so both were ok to use. The Eduard seat is the best shape overall, but it has a few issues with incorrect belts and mainly how they were stored. Pretty much every photo I have seen the main belts are flicked over either side of the head box then attached to the launch rail head box behind the seat (like in the real pic above). I began modifying the Eduard seat then thought that would better used in the open cockpit model (when I get around to fixing it) because of the detail I was hoping to put on it. That left the TD seat on the right. The head box is sort of a half way house between the two, though more of that later style imo. It also has nice folded belts (I'm rubbish with PE) and they are semi accurately postponed for a static F-104. It is pretty big though and required a good chunk cut off the base to fit in underneath the canopy. No worries as the canopy will be closed and only really the top half visible it will look just fine for me underneath. The best compromise in the end I guess, plus it is much quicker! Sprayed black and ready for detail painting. 

In fact it has been quite an effort to get everything test fitted under the canopy, an (overscale) True details seat going into an Eduard launch rail with the DACO canopy defoggers all fitting into the Hasegawa cockpit, was always a recipe for a fitting nightmare. Some compromises have had to be made to fit it all in and will be shown next time.

Thanks for looking!

David.

• Like 5

Great work David.

Those Brassin wheels really look the part.

Looking forward to seeing the bang seat painted up and also when she's those Kormorons hung under the wings.

James

• Like 1

23 hours ago, franky boy said:

Great work David.

Those Brassin wheels really look the part.

Looking forward to seeing the bang seat painted up and also when she's those Kormorons hung under the wings.

James

Cheers James! The Brassin wheels (late version) are very nice but they are maybe 1-2mm smaller than the main Hasegawa wheels. Some of this is because they are weighted and some is because they are a bit too small, hopefully though it won't cause any problems with the Aero launchers underneath the fuselage as I certainly have not mocked it all up to see if it clears the ground properly, fingers crossed! One thing I have realised is that with the big Kormorans on, the main hubs are pretty hard to see anyways so probably I'll next use them on clean 104s instead.

23 hours ago, Hewy said:

Impeccable ,totaly, i like the weathering on the modern balkenkreuz, cross patee,and as james as pointed out the wheels and gear are sublime,

Glynn

Cheers Glynn, my builds are way off amazing but hopefully I'm improving! With the weathering on the cross are you talking about the white specs? As that is a data stencil that overlaps the cross and has negative colours for the black/white bits.

I'm not brave enough to properly weather decals (like Craig's excellent techniques) bar the usual washes/grime etc...also from my refs they generally seemed to be in pretty good condition so I went pretty easy on the main markings, I tried fading in quite a few stencils though. 

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Stunning, she looks so real David.

The wheels really are very good, as is everything else you have done, and I like what you are doing with the seat.

I can imagine squeezing all that detail into a tiny F-104 cockpit will be a bit tricky!

Cheers Craig! hmm I'm shooting for a more real feel to it than maybe a more ' visually interesting for modellers but not strictly accurate approach' and  will only really know at the end, glad you like it so far though. As always if it looks something like the picture of the aircraft, I'll be more than happy :) 

Thanks for the kind words guys! 

David

• Like 3

She stands! The landing legs are such a tight fit they didn't need glue and allow a little bit of wiggle room to get everything straight, nicely done Hasegawa! Also nicely done DACO, the alignment tool for the wings seems to have set up everything nice and true.

L1110340_zpsbeygpgbg.jpg

L1110327_zpspgglmjy6.jpg

Here is the seat. I added a  RBF tag and yellow pin ribbon to complete the parked aircraft look and also some spare photo etch bits, its not the most accurate seat ever but will do. The resin seat is a bit soft detail wise compared to the competitors and it isn't the best paint job I have ever done on a seat (not as crisp as I wanted it) but I am happy as it looks suitably busy underneath the canopy. 

L1110343_zpsdhj9alld.jpg

L1110344_zpsbxrtkkgy.jpg

L1110321_zps4ogbyiyf.jpg

Here is the DACO canopy defogging tube, I had to sand and modify it somewhat so it could clear the top of the ejection seat head box (the grey head box behind the seat also had to have some details removed/left off the top here to allow the canopy to close). Some etch mirrors were added as the DACO versions were a little crude. I need to give the canopies good clean/polish up before they are installed properly I think. There are still a few little bits to add to the cockpit like the explosive charges and a few handles. One or two other bits like the canopy breaker will have to be left off the cills as they and the canopy tube will simply not fit all together, some compromises have had to be made detail wise to allow the canopy to close properly. If using a vac form canopy you could probably get everything in there. The DACO canopy/cockpit detail parts are a nice additions but do seem to be made for open cockpits. 

L1110349_zps7ukknvt5.jpg

to show it will just squeeze in. I think I will be able to open the canopy too as the fit is tight enough not to have to glue it in position. 

L1110369_zps5hqkysao.jpg

The J79-MTU-J1K exhaust from references of operational machines (preserved examples seem like they have been cleaned e.g. in DACO book) could get incredibly sooty and barely had any metallic appearance at all. After the initial metallic layers and hairspray I sprayed various tones of matt black/exhaust soot to really grime it up, then the folding sections of the petals had some chipping. To represent heat scorching on the interior petals I first tried some shading with the airbrush then as I don't have any weathering pigments to hand (must get some!) I gathered some substitutes from a recent BBQ :)

L1110152_zpsdgbnvsuj.jpg

The above helped to create some sort of scorched appearance, not perfect but I like it. The interior reheat chamber was a funny green (like the Mig-21), again in museum pieces this seems cleaned or new so I used this picture of an in use F-4F engine which I guess would be sorta like an operational F-104 J79.

f-4f_31_of_59.jpg

An attempt to replicate this is below but it is pretty hard to get the airbrush in there properly or take any decent photo in there! 

L1110348_zpsylfce5es.jpg

Here it is mounted with some additional soot applied to the very tip of the fuselage

L1110354_zpsg4oghas8.jpg

Ok guys that is the last WIP update I think, the final little usual details (lights etc) will be added and then I'll have to figure out how I'm going to glue everything together with all the RBF/FOD gear (I think over 30 RBF tags!) without knocking anything off. 

As always thanks for looking!

David.

• Like 10

Very nice work! 

it looks great!

I especially like your use of self made pastels!

This kind of imagination, ingenuity, and creativity, is in my mind what seperates real talent from the rest!

• Like 1

Simply stunning.

I have a Marinefleiger Tornado to build which I hope I will be able to approach your Basalt Grau master work!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 4:51 PM, sithman said:

Very nice work! 

it looks great!

I especially like your use of self made pastels!

This kind of imagination, ingenuity, and creativity, is in my mind what seperates real talent from the rest!

Glad you like the progress sithman and thank you for the kind words, the 'soot' worked out ok though next time I think I'll get some weathering products to try. 

On 5/21/2017 at 10:55 PM, At Sea said:

Simply stunning.

I have a Marinefleiger Tornado to build which I hope I will be able to approach your Basalt Grau master work!

On 5/21/2017 at 11:04 PM, JayBee said:

Masterclass, David!  :yes:

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

I agree most exellent 

Glynn

Thank you guys, much appreciated!

The final assembly so far is going well, I will hopefully finish it tonight and get pictures these next few days.

L1110381_zpsrlat43z4.jpg

Cheers,

David.

• Like 9

Yea, looks ok I guess.... ;)

Amazing work yet again. Very well done indeed.

Any future plans outside of 104s? Would love to see something oddball land on your desk and get this sort of treatment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Yea, looks ok I guess.... ;)

Amazing work yet again. Very well done indeed.

Any future plans outside of 104s? Would love to see something oddball land on your desk and get this sort of treatment.

Thank you James, Sithman and Rob, glad you like it! You're right Rob, I'm a bit bored of making F-104s now :winkgrin:. I have been eyeing up a 1/32 Eurofighter (Saudi if I can sort decals) or maybe something for the Mirage GB (maybe a SAAF Mirage IIIC) but I think I'll take break first tbh

It is finally finished, maybe the paint problems on the Norm 72 F-104 was a blessing in disguise as no way I could have finished both for this deadline. I'll pic the other one back up again  when the motivation is there.

L1110488_zpsdbgq4f45.jpg

Thank you to the mods for hosting this great GB series and to all who have liked,commented and provided information to my build, always very much appreciated! Hoped you like seeing (yet another) Marineflieger F-104 .

cheers

David.

• Like 6

Youre a bit good at this.

A Eurofighter/Typhoon thingy could be good. Subtle weathering would suit your style I reckon, but would prefer you do a 48th Revell so I can follow the build for my stashed kit. ;)

Reckon youve got a winner with that 104. Unless people are bored of 104s.........

• Like 1