Hail to the Chief(tain)

There is a massive build up of Warsaw pact armour in this GB already so time to "stand to"with a big piece of good old British steel!Tamiya's

old but still very nice Mk5 Chieftain.The Mk5 was as seventies as the Bay City Roller's and Space Hopper's and continued the line of British

MBT's on from the Centurion.A bit of background history here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chieftain_(tank)

Box art and I'll post some sprue shot's later,I will start this one first as I want to let Ale get started on his Mig21 so I can blatantly copy it!

132517-10911-pristine_zpsdczpggu5.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

The... Mk5 Chieftain... was as seventies as the Bay City Roller's and Space Hopper's...

Oh dear, I'm old enough to remember these things :( 

Great to see an example of the main British MBT of the time. Nice one Steve :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, spaddad said:

I wish you'd have a bit of variety in your subject choice instead of same old same old.

I was going to scratch build Hms Ark Royal with full air wing of Phantoms Buccs cranes,tow trucks and crew all lit up with

LED lights Dave,then do something in the second week of the GB!

• Like 8

"Cracking on" as Dave says with the early few stages of this build.The kit has the provision of being motorised with the

internal molding for batteries etc which is no issue except for the holes in the floor for which no blanking pieces are on

the sprue so that's to be sorted before the two hull pieces are joined.Here's the main suspension units fitted with poly

caps fitted for the small guide wheel's.

DSCN4582_zpsdybwzpyq.jpg

For a kit of it's vintage there isn't a bit of flash to be seen and the detailing is still very impressive,I know I always bang on about

price but my LMS does this kit for fourteen quid which is as cheap as a lot of 1/72/76 kit's.

DSCN4583_zpsf5igjyde.jpg

• Like 3

Hi peeps,

when I was an apprentice at Marconi's I had the job of machining all the front plates of the searchlight fitted to the Chieftain. This was done on a vertical boring machine, the operative word here being 'boring' as the tolerances were relatively agricultural therefore once you had the clamps set up it was pure tedium 'til you got to the last few cuts. However, I used to amuse myself by seeing how much I could take off in one cut, as it was a bloody big machine and I was using pretty big tools pretty impressive cuttings could be produced which, because of the shape of the plate and the intermittent nature of the cut used to come off  like mortar shrapnel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col. said:

The mouldings certainly look clean and crisp with plenty detail.

Definitely Col,I know I built this kit about fifteen year's ago and can't remember it being so well detailed or having to fill in those

holes,not complaining though!

• Like 1

Hi folk's,I,m in the build it then paint it camp where armour is concerned so last few sessions have been the hull and turret construction.

the upper lower hull click's together with the help of poly caps so I can paint each separately then assemble,here's progress.

DSCN4586_zps86hvr840.jpg

DSCN4587_zpsuoucmlt7.jpg

DSCN4592_zps2d9z2zmq.jpg

DSCN4590_zpsdb24qma0.jpg

DSCN4596_zpsrwdunxso.jpg

DSCN4597_zps94yetsfz.jpg

• Like 5

Literally tanking along there steve,sorry ,i had all that during my little grey tractor build,

I have to agree though build it paint it camp for me too where armour is concerned,  coming along well though

Glynn

• Like 1

Morning folk's last few job;s before painting done the stowage cages which are three part affair's are built and along with most

of the turret fixture's now fixed in place,painting time is near!

DSCN4599_zpskylai513.jpg

DSCN4600_zpsdnrarqpg.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

Tidy work on those stowage baskets Steve. This one looks to be taking rapid shape for you.

Thank's Col,I'm now pondering how to go about the painting as google images throw up a host of shades of green and black

depending on the light and ground condition's, I know the shade that should be used but I'm thinking of tinkering around with

the finish.

Well got a few minutes tonight adding the last few pieces and wheels cleaned up too,all ready for painting should get a bit done

as I,m off for a couple of day's unfortunately doing some 1/1 painting of the bedroom walls!

DSCN4601_zpst5lehcfb.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Morning folk's,who say's you can't paint a bedroom and a tank at the same time! Last night I primed in black,today an olive green

mixed to my take on British army green then misted the highlights a shade lighter.finally NATO black lightened a shade for the

disruptive camo.Next job will to spray the relevant areas dusty earth before dry brushing the lot.

DSCN4604_zps33u9epkl.jpg

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Did you do the bedroom in the same colours?? :D 

Sadly no,I was instructed to paint it "moon dust" Gray which has taken four coat's and that was over white!

• Like 1