KC-130J Harvest Hawk WIP.

On 14/02/2017 at 4:30 PM, milli21 said:

Sorry I misinterpreted what you meant. If it helps the RAF only tend to use the nose and armpits. The tail and rear pylons don't really get used

No worries, from what I can see the Harvest Hawk has none in the tail, armpits, pylons or nose, I suspect it this may be very different when it is on deployment, I think I will scribe in the areas but leave them blanked. There is no real right or wrong I just have not got any examples when it is in theatre, still plenty of time, I can always add the Attack Squadron 1/48 AN/ALE-39 dispensers later.

Danny

• 2 months later...

There is only 2 dispenser inside the u shape fairing on the nose. Each side has 2 nose. 4 armpit. 2 pylon and then the 2 under the tail. Making 18 in total. 

The black hole on the rear door is part of the pressurisation system.

Great work so far

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, milli21 said:

There is only 2 dispenser inside the u shape fairing on the nose. Each side has 2 nose. 4 armpit. 2 pylon and then the 2 under the tail. Making 18 in total. 

The black hole on the rear door is part of the pressurisation system.

Great work so far

Cheers budy, that is good to know and fortunate as they come in sets of ten and I have ordered two😂

Also a little less cutting to do.

Thanks for the help.

Danny

There's two slots in the nose. They are side by side. Which is the lower part where is says flare no1 and flare no2.  The hole above is usually covered over with a panel as the sequencers sit behind the panel. Hope this helps

39 minutes ago, milli21 said:

The longest side of the dispensers are joined. And the longest side goes vertically. If you have a close up of the armpit dispensers just turn the picture 90° 

Got it, many thanks.

Danny

Great work on the Harvest Hawk! Really like this version of the Herc - the relative normality of this (against the menace of the AC-130, day) makes its lethality that much more unlikely. Cool stuff!

You mention "ALE-39" a lot. They're an older system, but more importantly from a modelling perspective, they've got round holes for the counter measures (283750AN_ALE_39.jpg) vs the square holes of current systems (e.g. ALE-47): 13641579-ea64-4126-b064-9b5c086c308e.jpg 

Thought I'd mention this, considering how much effort you're going to get this right. 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2017 at 10:36 PM, milli21 said:

It's coming along nicely. The four disks on the underside are the rad alt antennas and the probe between the pitots is the ice detector.

Looking forward to seeing it in paint 

Thanks for the info, I will amend my notes.

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

This is superb, I'm liking the step by step painting process, it's always good to see how everyone else goes through the process.

Cant wait for the next instalment.

Eng

Edited by eng
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, eng said:

This is superb, I'm liking the step by step painting process, it's always good to see how everyone else goes through the process.

Cant wait for the next instalment.

Eng

I used to pre shade all the time but now i find post shading and the use of filters gives me a much better weathering effect, certainly more controllable than pre shading alone, a little to much spray and the effect is easily lost.

Once the decals are on i will add some pin washes, this is when i will see if re-scribing the panel lines was worth the pain.:D

Thanks for looking.

Danny

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi

I'm also getting ready to do a build of the Harvest Hawk.  I have all the Attack Squadron parts, including the dropped wing flaps.  I look forward to continuing to watch your work.  As for me, I'm a 20 years retired (I've been retired 20 years after a 24 year career)USAF linguist. My last assignment before retirement was as mission crew member of another type of C-130, the EC-130 Compass Call electronic combat aircraft.I love military vehicles of all types.  Tanks and Airplanes.   I don't know how long I've been in this group, but it's likely a year or two. Mostly I just sit, watch, and listen.

I forgot to mention earlier, the interior colors, both up front and in the cargo area, is a very light pastel green.  I watched several videos and that's what they all show.  One other thing.  The fire extinguisher should not be red.  It should be yellow.  Red is for water fire extinguishers, yellow is for electric equipment.  They should not be mixed.  The material in the yellow bottles suffocates the area of O2.  You die if not wearing an 02 mask and bottle.  We had mostly electronic gear in our birds so....

Rick

Edited by thewizardofaz