KC-130J Harvest Hawk WIP.

Just now, Scimitar said:

Interesting project you have there Danny.

Once again I learn something new..I didn't know they fired off the ramp at first.

Yes, I am quite looking forward to it, although the same cant be said for the re scribing😁

The box shaped object just in front of the para door is the IRCM. Infra red counter measures. Which was used on RAF C130Ks but got replaced by better versions mounted on the fuselage sides aft of the para doors. I believe the jungly Sea Kings used the IRCM too 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, milli21 said:

The box shaped object just in front of the para door is the IRCM. Infra red counter measures. Which was used on RAF C130Ks but got replaced by better versions mounted on the fuselage sides aft of the para doors. I believe the jungly Sea Kings used the IRCM too 

Excellent info, thanks, as far as I can see they have been maintained in this position on the Hawk.

I will add to my list.

Thanks

Danny

5 hours ago, Crossofiron1971 said:

Great Project!

I will be following this one...

5 hours ago, Darren Rhodes said:

Likewise fascinating project, learnt a lot from your first post.  You have my heartfelt sympathies, I hate scribing

:popcorn: 

Darren

55 minutes ago, snapper_city said:

Looking forward to this.  I feel your pain on the rescribing.  I have recently done the same to the Airfix Vulcan. Good luck. 

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting stuck in😁

Danny

9 minutes ago, Darren Rhodes said:

Beautiful clean work. :clap2: Would love to know your secrets, did you cut or file the inboard wing engine-section back? 

Darren

Darren, i have a horizontal disk sander, once the table was set at 90 degrees i carefully removed the first 1.5mm ish then the rest was done with some abrasive paper fixed to a flat bit of wood, the wood is flat and you can just push across the surface in one motion slowly bringing down the material, i also used a 12" rule to maintain the relationship to the outboard engine, you have to make sure that they are both square to each other or you will be a in a pickle, basically i used the rule a straight edge held across the front of the two engines mounts.

Dont try going into the wing on the inboard engine as it will never work, with the 2.5mm gone the face on the inboard and outboard line up perfectly, this means that the engines will be parallel too.

Thank for looking.

Danny

• Like 1

7 hours ago, danimalmagic said:

[linked image]

Danny,

Whut an ambitious build ya've got in hands! Certainly, Attack Squadron's done an incredible job with 'em resin nacelle correction set 'n' other stuff related to 'em Albert kit.

One thing tho, 'n' me hopes it ain't late for it, but the compressor face of 'em turbine will hardly be visible as such; there's a duct which splits-S upwards almost halfway inside the nacelle before the blades. This is yet another mistake in 'em Testors/Italeri kit.

Otherwise, all is good. Followin' yer build.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

The small box shape on the rear of the external tank pylon is a chaff/flare dispenser. These are present on most c130s that have external tanks with a flare/chaff countermeasures system.

Cracking work so far. Watching with interest 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Danny,

Whut an ambitious build ya've got in hands! Certainly, Attack Squadron's done an incredible job with 'em resin nacelle correction set 'n' other stuff related to 'em Albert kit.

One thing tho, 'n' me hopes it ain't late for it, but the compressor face of 'em turbine will hardly be visible as such; there's a duct which splits-S upwards almost halfway inside the nacelle before the blades. This is yet another mistake in 'em Testors/Italeri kit.

Otherwise, all is good. Followin' yer build.

Cheers,

Unc2

No not glued together yet, i will have a look at some images and see what i find, i just do not want to leave an open void so some detail is required, good tip though.

If all else fails i will just put in the intake covers, i will check Steel Beech or just make some, maybe the best solution.

Thanks for looking.

danny

Edited by danimalmagic

12 hours ago, milli21 said:

The small box shape on the rear of the external tank pylon is a chaff/flare dispenser. These are present on most c130s that have external tanks with a flare/chaff countermeasures system.

Cracking work so far. Watching with interest 

Yep, i have been doing some research on the ALE-39 Dispensers, attack squadron even make a 1/48 resin set so no problems there, the fuel tank pylon dispensers on the Harvest Hawk seem to be blanked off but i have a drawing showing the other positions so i need to check if they are in use on this bird and then replicate.

Thanks for the assist.

Danny

1 hour ago, danimalmagic said:

No not glued together yet, i will have a look at some images and see what i find, i just do not want to leave an open void so some detail is required, good tip though.

If all else fails i will just put in the intake covers, i will check Steel Beech or just make some, maybe the best solution.

Hey, Danny!

Glad that the engine faces of 'em nacelles 'n' blades ain't glued yet. Me's here to try 'n' help ya with some piccies; 'course it's totally up to ye to do whut ya please, if ya want 'em intake covers to go instead, but the correction is nay so difficult to make.

2010-C-130J-Hercules-nacelle_zpspjcetfe4

This is how the intake ramp looks when it's freed from all 'em internal hardware. Y'see that the ramp goes up a tad before it joins 'em duct inside?

68028840_zpshfd961nl.jpg 

That's how the duct splits-S inside 'em nacelle to meet the compressor blades; y'see how far back it goes inside 'em nacelle before the blades can be seen?

Me thinks that the Testors/Italeri blade faces a quite bigger than 'em real ones anyways.

stock-photo-berlin-germany-may-turboprop

That's how the duct splits-s a lil' more clearer. This is why me tells ye that I don't think the compressor blades would be seen from outside of 'em intake.

To replicate 'em duct is nay easy, but it's only one duct ya'll need to make, then copy it four times. I made mine by carvin' 'em outa balsa wood 'n' to then vac-form 'em halves separately for each one of 'em.   

Anythin' me can be of help, let me know.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

10 hours ago, danimalmagic said:

Yep, i have been doing some research on the ALE-39 Dispensers, attack squadron even make a 1/48 resin set so no problems there, the fuel tank pylon dispensers on the Harvest Hawk seem to be blanked off but i have a drawing showing the other positions so i need to check if they are in use on this bird and then replicate.

Thanks for the assist.

Danny

All the dispensers are blanked off when flares/chaff aren't loaded. It's just a flat panel secured with dzus fasteners

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, milli21 said:

All the dispensers are blanked off when flares/chaff aren't loaded. It's just a flat panel secured with dzus fasteners

Yeah I know that, my point was I need to find some images of a Harvest Hawk with or without them, no point replicating something that was not used, the fairings on the underside of the cockpit are quite pronounced but covers look in place, I am not going to re scribe cut and fit dispensers if they are not used but in the same breath considering the various deployments its had its difficult to imagine some of them were not used.

I have loads of images to work through yet so I will no doubt get the result I want.

16 hours ago, danimalmagic said:

Yeah I know that, my point was I need to find some images of a Harvest Hawk with or without them, no point replicating something that was not used, the fairings on the underside of the cockpit are quite pronounced but covers look in place, I am not going to re scribe cut and fit dispensers if they are not used but in the same breath considering the various deployments its had its difficult to imagine some of them were not used.

I have loads of images to work through yet so I will no doubt get the result I want.

Sorry I misinterpreted what you meant. If it helps the RAF only tend to use the nose and armpits. The tail and rear pylons don't really get used

• Like 1