Converting a tamiya p-47m to an N

Mike Esposito

No, why would it?

It's not a change of wingtip shape on an otherwise standard P-47 wing, the P-47N has a substantially different wing structure altogether. Longer span with length added at the root, different ailerons, fuel tanks in the wings.

Edited by Work In Progress

I'm planning to an N from the Tamiya kit and Segery has already done it (in WIPs link, his finished pictures are around somewhere).  Get his resin wheel wells and prop, but yes the wing is the biggest change but not too difficult to modify. Easier to get an accurate N than trying to modify one of the N kits.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

What scale are you talking about? I have been working on doing an N in 1/72 using a Tamiya P-47D and the Sword P-47N, or two Tamiya P-47D's. (It would be soooo much better if Tamiya would go ahead and do an M. which their P-47D bubbletop is already engineered for at some point, which would make a conversion a little easier.) I don't see anybody doing another P-47N, although the Sword kit is more workable . The High Planes P-47N I had was spot-on in shape and dimension, but I sold it as I'm not up to all the work it would take to do a decent model in  natural metal!)

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

What scale are you talking about? I have been working on doing an N in 1/72 using a Tamiya P-47D and the Sword P-47N, or two Tamiya P-47D's. (It would be soooo much better if Tamiya would go ahead and do an M. which their P-47D bubbletop is already engineered for at some point, which would make a conversion a little easier.) I don't see anybody doing another P-47N, although the Sword kit is more workable . The High Planes P-47N I had was spot-on in shape and dimension, but I sold it as I'm not up to all the work it would take to do a decent model in  natural metal!)

Mike

1/48th scale because as you know that's the only scale that Tamiya do the M in.

Im surprised with all the new kits in the last few years that the N has been ignored  in 1/48th and 1/72nd (like the Spit Mk.XIV), so I wouldn't be surprised to see a kit in the near future, especially in 1/72, probably just as you finish your conversion ;)

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Uhhh. Did not realize that there was a span differential. 

Read that both the N kits are inaccurate. Academy with the small canopy is a non starter. 

Referring to the 1/48 jug

You could always get a replacement canopy if that's your main beef, any vacform bubbletop canopy would work.

What are the errors of the respective kits?  I'm aware the Academy has the domed crankshaft cover rather than the later cylindrical one but that's easily overcome.

As everyone has said, the N type wing is hugely different from the D/M wing, it's also easy to get caught out with the rocket stubs, these weren't fitted to the very early block models.  There are other differences, some you won't see such as the autopilot fitted to ease the pilot's work load during the very long transit flights this version was designed to undertake, to subtle but noticeable differences such as the folding armrests fitted to pilot's seat again for his comfort on long transit flights.

Not obvious stuff I know but if it was being looked at by someone who knows their onions they're bound to spot these things.

Edited by Wez
added text

5 hours ago, Wez said:

You could always get a replacement canopy if that's your main beef, any vacform bubbletop canopy would work.

What are the errors of the respective kits?  I'm aware the Academy has the domed crankshaft cover rather than the later cylindrical one but that's easily overcome.

As everyone has said, the N type wing is hugely different from the D/M wing, it's also easy to get caught out with the rocket stubs, these weren't fitted to the very early block models.  There are other differences, some you won't see such as the autopilot fitted to ease the pilot's work load during the very long transit flights this version was designed to undertake, to subtle but noticeable differences such as the folding armrests fitted to pilot's seat again for his comfort on long transit flights.

Not obvious stuff I know but if it was being looked at by someone who knows their onions they're bound to spot these things.

Sergey lists some of the pros and cons of the N kits in WIP's link on Hyperscale. It would be a lot of work to produce a good detailed N from either kit, the Tamika kit does appear to be the easier root.

Edited by Tbolt

1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

Sergey lists some of the pros and cons of the N kits in WIP's link on Hyperscale.

Thanks, missed that link in WIP's post, time to get the eyes tested again I think!

• Like 1