1/72 Condor MiG-25

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

HELP...liquid poly seeped from a stabiliser join and like falling buttered toast, yes it's on the side you don't want it on. I tried thinners and a cotton bud but seemed to make it worse. Please tell me there is a way to get this repaired? Was going so well...

image_zpstdh99wqa.jpg

Hi Valkyrie,

Let the plastic fully harden then either scrape with a curved blade or file / sand away the worst of it. Then using filler sparingly (I use Vallejo but there are so many our there), build up any depressions and sand to shape once dry. It shouldn't take long and is not too difficult to do. If you lose any panel lines in the process you can choose to re-scribe them if you so wish.

Good luck :) 

• Like 3

Thanks, I'm scared to go near it now, I have a sanding stick so il get that on it. I don't have any curved blades or a describing tool. Hobby shop only does Airfix and Humbrol and don't think she has tools or anything other than kits paint and thinners etc...

thanks again, I might have to get another 25 and put this one down as newbie practice...I knew it was too soon to try a GB live but I have learned more from you guys in 3 days than I did myself in 3 years so thanks!

• Like 1

I am actually having fun, challenge to do things like these new techniques from the experienced guys 

Hopefully I can follow the tips, the standard here is so high, ut it's such a supportive group 

• Like 3

We always meet hurdles, but always remember there is a solution. Plenty of help on this site to dig you out of a hole, as i have found out on numerous occasions. Good luck with the rest of the build.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Thanks for checking back...love this site, like in "Blackhawk Down"...no man gets left behind! Thanks so much, it encouraged me to be brave and give the repair a go....

IMG_4187_zpse5lrtuhu.jpg

• Like 7

Sanding stick sacrificed himself but just about saw me through, I don't know what you think but it went better than I thought and i am pressing ahead. I am not sure if there's anything further I can do improve it further?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hewy said:

Well repaired  there , good work

Glynn

Thanks Glynn... the support on here is top notch. Never mind binning the MiG I was going to put everything on eBay, instead went to the big smoke (Glasgow) and spent a few bob on the stuff to finish this....anda Tomahawk, P47 and all the bits to do them too hehe

thanks again..

• Like 1

Thanks, I had only ever primed a couple of models before and definitely thought it was worth it. Had used the Humbrol Matt primer it was great on the first couple but then went kind of grainy? Guy in shop said Tamiya was good stuff. Thanks for the tip, because I would have rage binned it without knowing the detail returns. Would I spray from quite a distance then or quickly light coat? Thanks again 

Brian

• Like 1

Just now, Valkyrie said:

Thanks, I had only ever primed a couple of models before and definitely thought it was worth it. Had used the Humbrol Matt primer it was great on the first couple but then went kind of grainy? Guy in shop said Tamiya was good stuff. Thanks for the tip, because I would have rage binned it without knowing the detail returns. Would I spray from quite a distance then or quickly light coat? Thanks again 

Brian

I've primed my yak 28 firebar with it ,i did it in very short sprays, keeping your arm moving fast,don't linger waiting to see it cover ,light coats wait, light coats wait ,it'll be fine do the top leave it for an hour don't be tempted to touch it spin it over, and repeat 

Good luck,it polishes lovely 

Glynn

• Like 1

Great tips guys thanks so much! 

SoftScience if it does show would I just sand it again? paint heavy or is that me done for and would need to work some kind of weathering or battle scar in?

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent job on the repair Brian, really glad you did it.

Your Foxbat is looking very good and is well worth the effort you are putting in, keep it up!

Thanks MM! Been watching yours and it made me want to at least give it another go. If you think mr repair is good I'm happy with that!! Thanks! The Condor one is tricky some of the instructions are muddled but your MiG looks quite a technical build, thankfully mine is a bit easier to make

• Like 1