1/72 Condor MiG-25

Here is my MiG-25 that arrived today. It seems quite large..

Struggling with the photo from photo bucket, haven't even opened the box of this and already stalling 

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 3

There's a picture showing now Valkyrie :thumbsup2: .

I rather like that box-art! Very evocative.

I've always had an interest in the MiG 25; it was quite a record breaker and pretty individual in terms of construction approach and materials. The 25 looks pretty amazing (IMHO) too.

Looking forward to your build :).

:popcorn: 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony... yeah a struggle to find it and good story behind this aircraft construction etc like you mention. Still a bit taken aback by its size..

Box contents...I don't really know this make. Instructions in Ukrainian, Russian and English, stencil data for the Russian version only, lucky. It has an old feel to it, and again it seems a large aircraft. Started on the cockpit pieces. Don't have an actual soviet blue green so I will need to make one...

IMG_3917_zpsln6vqage.jpg

• Like 3

Ok absolutely hated doing that, decals fell to bits, spent ages researching and blending cockpit colours..but, after it was done I am feeling better. Doubt you'd be able to even see the office once we are in the frame. Reading more and more about the 25 and NATO and Warsaw Pact and the vastness of this GB and effort everyone is going to is really spurring me on. Took a half day off to do the tub to get me on track...brilliant.

IMG_3935_zpso6guwmhq.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Pin said:

Hmm, cockpit colour should be emerald green

422f9d13b5a5.jpg

Thanks Pin, its a pest trying to make that colour, I wish I'd just spent that £3 on the mig turquoise paint! I have done 2 Eduard Czech MiG 15 cockpits and that blue was sort of nearly pretty close to the photo etch colour. Pin, if I bought turquoise stuff would I need to scrape my blue off then apply or would it work on top of it?

Also, the grey for this asks for neutral gray from Humbrol 145, but I don't think they do it anymore.. any ideas? I might as well order that while I'm upgrading the green..

any help much appreciated 

Humbrol 145 should be FS35237 equivalent.  Plenty of suggestions here: 

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_humbrol.htm

and here:

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/paint_conversion.php/manufacturers_id/9/page/3

That said, what are you thinking of using the neutral grey (gray) for?  I think it would be too dark for the airframe

• Like 1

Brilliant Vultures1, thanks so much. Instructions say for main frame. Says neutral grey as Humbrol 145? 

Those charts are good. I fancy doing a few Russian grey jets so would like to get it right. Something quite light then? Humbrol 165 or Tamiya light ghost grey? I have only ever used Humbrol and Lifecolour..

Thanks for your help and expertise, so good on here.

Valkyrie

I've heard great things about the Soviet/Russian colours from AKAN but can't say I have tried them myself.

I would personally go lighter than neutral grey; maybe try a light ghost grey equivalent (Humbrol 127 or Tamiya XF19) and see how it looks?  With all the variations in lighting and exposure to the elements these airframes were subject to, I'm not sure there is a "right" answer.  I believe Ken Duffey swears by Ford Polar Grey from a rattle can, for example!

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Wow, I had a can of ford polar grey in my hand at Halfrauds today while getting fleeced £33 for 3 Alfa Romeo bulbs! I thought this is the colour I want but thought it might melt my plane? Can I use that stuff okay? I ordered the mig turquoise green today and revell light grey Matt, still think it may be too dark? So much grey but not the one I need, oh and a Zvezda SU33 :tmi: fell in too! Thanks Vultures, I will check AKAN out as well and that was a huge can of polar grey, il get it if I can use it on kits..

Small dry test fit. Cockpit virtually snap on! All fits together seamlessly until the cockpit is inside. Do I file the cockpit down a tad at the sides or really squeeze the thing shut once glued and hope? I'd like the seamless finish, perils of being a newbie. I have time to wait to decide my new cockpit green won't be here till Saturday, I'll need to intercept the postman as that's not all that's coming....

IMG_3945_zpsb8sy9d97.jpg

• Like 1

Waiting on paints, time to be brave and see how this fits together on a dry run.....it's not going to be an easy build. It's certainly snap tight but when u add the wet sticky gluey stuff you don't get to fiddle without making a real mess. I am worried, be a great model for an experienced builder, not for a raw newbie. 

IMG_3946_zpskt0dga2j.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 1

I'd say take the edge off the cockpit components to gain a greater quality fit of the fuselage parts. That will improve the final finish of the kit and give you less work in the long term. There also looks to be a slight lip on the edge of the cockpit moulding that needs to go.

• Like 1

Thanks Col. I am never sure what's meant to be there and what's not. I have cut vital parts off before, this is the first kit I've dry fitted and it is a good idea. Trim cockpit the way to go, thanks again. 

• Like 1

HELP...liquid poly seeped from a stabiliser join and like falling buttered toast, yes it's on the side you don't want it on. I tried thinners and a cotton bud but seemed to make it worse. Please tell me there is a way to get this repaired? Was going so well...

image_zpstdh99wqa.jpg

Nice work

Shame about the accident. Cannot offer much more in terms of advice than Bodmin. So probably wait a day or two until it's thoroughly dry, sand back, see if the glue etc has caused a depression in the surface - if not, sand until smooth, from coarse to fine.

However if there is a depression in the surface you want to get rid of, you need to add a layer on top. You could try the following: combine plastic shavings (just shave or cut tiny plastic bits from the runners and sprues, or collect sanding dust from plastic) with poly cement such as Humbrol cement or Revell contacta in a small left-over metal or glass jar or bowl. The plastic will slowly dissolve when you stir the ingredients together to create a home-made filler- try to get a paste-like texture out of it and apply on the area where you want it with a cocktail stick or something else of wood. Let it dry a few days, then sand back. Repeat if necessary. Fumes are dangerous so keep the place ventilated. The build can continue during all this.

An alternative is simply to apply a layer of CA superglue. Another possibility: use a good commercial filler paste such as Tamiya filler. Just see what works best. As long as you keep sanding until smooth, that's the main thing.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 3

Thanks guys. I have never attempted anything like that before so I will attempt to try these! I was actually saying in my head it's going well🙄

thanks again!!

• Like 1