Was there a ‘DeHavilland’ scheme?

Juanita

It seems that around 1927 De Havilland introduced the scheme commonly seen on DH 60 Moths (eg G-AAAA): colour curves around the nose and extends back along the top combing to the tail.

Such as here: http://aviationancestry.co.uk/?advert/&advertId=7716

And here:

G-AAAA.jpg

This scheme pattern was also used on a number of other DH civil aircraft of the time: eg DH 61 Giant Moth (G-CAJT and G-AAAN) and the DH 71 G-EBQU...a perusal of the pages of Flight around this time to see Type Reports on DH aircraft with this scheme.

Can anyone tell me if De Havilland had particular colour/s they used on their aircraft?

Juanita

6 hours ago, Juanita said:

It seems that around 1927 De Havilland introduced the scheme commonly seen on DH 60 Moths (eg G-AAAA): colour curves around the nose and extends back along the top combing to the tail.

Such as here: http://aviationancestry.co.uk/?advert/&advertId=7716

And here:

G-AAAA.jpg

This scheme pattern was also used on a number of other DH civil aircraft of the time: eg DH 61 Giant Moth (G-CAJT and G-AAAN) and the DH 71 G-EBQU...a perusal of the pages of Flight around this time to see Type Reports on DH aircraft with this scheme.

Can anyone tell me if De Havilland had particular colour/s they used on their aircraft?

Juanita

None particularly (though dark blue and silver seemed to be a preference for protptypes and demonstrators) - first customers would specify their preference. The Flying Schools would have their own predictable schemes though, eg Armstrong Whitworth silver wings and black fuselage, Airwork green & silver, Scottish Aviation flame orange and silver, while DH school (and Hire Service) early on had dk blue and silver, but later on had red fuselage and gold flying surfaces! (If anyone has ever managed a realistic metalic gold on a 1/72nd scale model I like to know how!!).

If you can get a hold of Putnam's "British Aviation the Adventuring Years" by Harald Penrose, he mentions colour schemes throughout - he was there, he was often flying them!

• Like 3

I have a book  "DH60 moth the worlds most successful light aeroplane by Stuart McKay," it seems from this book that colour scheme was selected by the customer. The DH school in 1926 had a Maroon and Silver scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wallyinoz said:

I have a book  "DH60 moth the worlds most successful light aeroplane by Stuart McKay," it seems from this book that colour scheme was selected by the customer. The DH school in 1926 had a Maroon and Silver scheme.

Interesting....I've had that quoted as red in a few places. But writers copy each other. Maybe we should settle for dark red!

Very interesting Wallyinoz.

I was speaking to a historian yesterday who said the Moths could be finished in the customers choice of Red, Blue, Green or Black...which correlates to what Stuart Mckay wrote.

I'll still keep hunting, to see if I can find out if there was a 'house' colour.