Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Miggers said:

You mad impetuous fool you(says he whom has to mask for a living).:ner:

 

Now that is worrying!

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Now that is worrying!

 

Martian

One of the perils of being a professional paintsprayer I'm afraid my dear fellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She looks really grand in the sunlight. Really great canopy too. I see what you mean about falcon stuff. Keep it up Mart, top stuff.:coolio:

 

johnny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those canopies look so clear... I had no idea such clarity could be achieved. Shows how long ago I used one!!! I now only build WW1 types which might have something to do with it.

 

P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

She looks really grand in the sunlight. Really great canopy too. I see what you mean about falcon stuff. Keep it up Mart, top stuff.:coolio:

 

johnny

The bad news is that I went to use the old Eduard vinyl masks today and they had lost all of their adhesiveness. Back to Tamiya tape I guess. :undecided: 

3 hours ago, pheonix said:

Those canopies look so clear... I had no idea such clarity could be achieved. Shows how long ago I used one!!! I now only build WW1 types which might have something to do with it.

 

P

A couple of coats of clear really do set them off.

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the 'challenging' Barracuda glasshouse Martian I used my goto method of applying strips of Tamiya tape, rubbing it down with a blunk cocktail stick, and simply doing a 'brass-rubbing' over it with a soft HB pencil, which highlights where to cut with a fresh scalpel.

 

In my next post I'll  be pointing put where Buddha went wrong and the mistakes in Einstein's working-out..

 

Baroness Presumption

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

On the 'challenging' Barracuda glasshouse Martian I used my goto method of applying strips of Tamiya tape, rubbing it down with a blunk cocktail stick, and simply doing a 'brass-rubbing' over it with a soft HB pencil, which highlights where to cut with a fresh scalpel.

 

In my next post I'll  be pointing put where Buddha went wrong and the mistakes in Einstein's working-out..

 

Baroness Presumption

 

 

Thanks Baroness, my main problem is not that I don't know how to do it but that I am extremely lazy. Do you have a cure for that?

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 18:01, limeypilot said:

Looking good!

 I like the idea of a "how to" build, I may do one of those myself aimed at those who dread the thought of rigging a biplane but would like to try their hand at it...I already know what my next build will be so I could easily use that. Thanks Sprueloose for the idea!

 

Ian

Late to this thread for various reasons...but the idea of being talked through/shown the steps to rigging a bi plane would be really appreciated.  As well as...

 

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:46, Martian Hale said:

 

I have had time to consider Sprueloose's comments about doing a build aimed at modellers who want to make that first step from OOB builds and/or tart up an older kit and have decided to give this a go. I think that many of us are guilty of assuming that the people watching our builds here automatically know what we are talking about. I hold my hand up as being one of the worst offenders here. I am currently deciding which kit will be featured and will get a thread going in the near future. I have been enjoying this build so hopefully some fun will be had with the next build.

Got my vote.  look forward to it.  By the way the build as I have seen it so far looks great!

Simoin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the parade, as usual. 

Just read through the whole build so far, and you are maintaining your usual high standards, both of modelling, and blather and waffle. 

Won't be late again sir, don't fancy my chances against the martian inquisition! 

 

All this misty eyed nostalgia is making me think of my hampden, sat forlornly in it's box, under the rather full shelf of doom.

 

Keep up the good work.

 

Matt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nomis61 said:

Late to this thread for various reasons...but the idea of being talked through/shown the steps to rigging a bi plane would be really appreciated.  As well as...

 

Got my vote.  look forward to it.  By the way the build as I have seen it so far looks great!

Simoin

I will be showing the steps involved in the process I use in both my Ilya Muromets and Sopwith double build (Pup/Triplane) build logs. Both are on the go at the moment. I hope you find them useful!

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Late to the parade, as usual. 

Just read through the whole build so far, and you are maintaining your usual high standards, both of modelling, and blather and waffle. 

Won't be late again sir, don't fancy my chances against the martian inquisition! 

 

All this misty eyed nostalgia is making me think of my hampden, sat forlornly in it's box, under the rather full shelf of doom.

 

Keep up the good work.

 

Matt 

No one expects the Martian Inquisition! I am glad that the blather and waffle are up to snuff! Also thanks for reminding me about your forlorn Hampden, it reminded me of my even more forlorn Hereford build!

8 hours ago, Nomis61 said:

Late to this thread for various reasons...but the idea of being talked through/shown the steps to rigging a bi plane would be really appreciated.  As well as...

 

Got my vote.  look forward to it.  By the way the build as I have seen it so far looks great!

Simoin

Thanks Simon, I will be doing something as soon as I have put this build to bed.

 

I a desperate attempt to avoid doing l the masking from scratch, I sent for a new masking set for the Italerii ju88 kit today. The vacformed canopy is designed for this kit so logically the mask should fit?

 

Martian the Mindless Optimist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I am extremely lazy. Do you have a cure for that?

One part Red Bull, one part vodka, three parts Cappuccino.

That should keep you buzzing for an hour or so.

(Consult your Doctor first if you are over ten years of age)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

One part Red Bull, one part vodka, three parts Cappuccino.

That should keep you buzzing for an hour or so.

(Consult your Doctor first if you are over ten years of age)

I have a load of beer in the house, will that do? I'll give it a go anyway! :beer:

 

Martian the Beer Monster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

 Do you have a cure for that?

I used to dissolve a Solpadine or two in vodka and found that did the trick but I was young and foolish then. Now I am just not young.

 

Simply drinking beer until the new masks arrive will doubtless prove the most relaxing option.;)

 

Baron I've-eaten-too-much-black-pudding-tonight.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Masks broken. Bad. New masks. Good.

beer. Good. What was it meat loaf said? :thumbsup: 

 

Dunno but I'll settle for the "beer good" bit. 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Simply drinking beer until the new masks arrive will doubtless prove the most relaxing option.;)

 

Sounds good to me! :pardon:

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Eduard masking set just dropped through the letter box so I shall be seeing what can be done with it this evening At least it should stick to the model this time!

 

Matian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2017 at 21:45, TheBaron said:

I used to dissolve a Solpadine or two in vodka and found that did the trick but I was young and foolish then. Now I am just not young.

 

Simply drinking beer until the new masks arrive will doubtless prove the most relaxing option.;)

 

Baron I've-eaten-too-much-black-pudding-tonight.....

 

I did once make the mistake of eating a solphadine during a night out after several ciders/beers (I was 17 and foolish*) - I frothed from the nose and ears like a defective fire extinguisher

 

 * Now 40 and foolish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drinking beer while fiddling with the application of the masks might possibly make the going steadier. At least it helped me draw a straight bead back when I was welding up sculptures. 

Martian have you seen this method of doing canopy frameworks? It uses book mending tape:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/thread/1472458236/last-1472528017/(View+All+Messages+in+this+Thread)

Of course that method might also require addition applications of beer. :drink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sprueloose said:

Drinking beer while fiddling with the application of the masks might possibly make the going steadier. At least it helped me draw a straight bead back when I was welding up sculptures. 

Martian have you seen this method of doing canopy frameworks? It uses book mending tape:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/thread/1472458236/last-1472528017/(View+All+Messages+in+this+Thread)

Of course that method might also require addition applications of beer. :drink:

Very interesting! It does seem though, that whichever system one chooses, application of beer is the key to a successful outcome. I shall reluctantly follow this policy! :beer:

6 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

 

I did once make the mistake of eating a solphadine during a night out after several ciders/beers (I was 17 and foolish*) - I frothed from the nose and ears like a defective fire extinguisher

 

 * Now 40 and foolish

The worst feeling I have ever had was after attending the lunchtime session at the international area at Telford, having recently had my medication changed. I suppose being totally spaced out is appropriate for a Martian!

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canopy masking, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance; therefore, much drink may be said to be an equivocator with masking: it makes him, and it mars him; it sets him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him, and disheartens him; makes him stand to, and not stand to; in conclusion, equivocates him in a sleep, and, giving him the lie, leaves him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have accidentally got the airbrush out once after one too many and sprayed a lovely coat of primer over a spitfire and forgot to mask the canopy. Please please please don't make mistake. I've learnt that beer and modelling don't go hand in hand for me. Whoops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Canopy masking, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance; therefore, much drink may be said to be an equivocator with masking: it makes him, and it mars him; it sets him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him, and disheartens him; makes him stand to, and not stand to; in conclusion, equivocates him in a sleep, and, giving him the lie, leaves him.

So does that mean I have to have beer or not? Oops, too late! :pardon:

3 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

I might have accidentally got the airbrush out once after one too many and sprayed a lovely coat of primer over a spitfire and forgot to mask the canopy. Please please please don't make mistake. I've learnt that beer and modelling don't go hand in hand for me. Whoops. 

Sometimes beer is the only thing that can get me started and masking is one of those times.

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

So does that mean I have to have beer or not? Oops, too late! :pardon:

Sometimes beer is the only thing that can get me started and masking is one of those times.

 

Martian

 

I think you just got to the very core of Hamlet - Well done! Have an A level and another celebratory beer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

 

I think you just got to the very core of Hamlet - Well done! Have an A level and another celebratory beer

Maybe I should have drank more beer when I was failing my A Level English Literature; I couldn't have done any worse! :dunce:

 

Martian the Literary Challenged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...