Airfix Ju-88

Martian

20 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Glad to hear the old procedure went well. Well, as well as it could. Taking the pain, worry, discomfort and TV screen into consideration. 

Having had it done a couple of years ago, I must say that the TV screen is very disconcerting. I suspect that they must have had to adjust the contrast and colour settings for a green xenomorph? Special laughing gas for an extra terrestrial too...? 🚀.

Singularly unpleasant stuff but Mrs. Martian doesn't need to worry now :).

Now, has that Milliput dried yet :tumble:?

:D

All best regards

TonyT

Miliput has dried and been sanded and polished. Pictures this weekend, I may even have the main canopy on as well, MVS duties permitting.

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Maybe you should come to the US next time...they give a general anaesthetic for that procedure. I just made the Doc promise he wasn't going to use an iPhone and selfie stick and that's the last I remember! Glad it all went well!

Ian

Ouch! No wonder those cowboys walk funny!

1 hour ago, adey m said:

Just remind me....what are you building Martian........................?

Adrian

I think it was an Airfix Ju88?

48 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

He's building up the anticipation of getting back to the model.

Or, he's building up the sympathy.

Either way, I for one will be back for more.

BTW, when I had it done years ago I asked for the pictures on DVD.

That thought has just ruined my dinner and possibly tomorrow's breakfast as well! :puke:

Martian

• Like 4

As promised here are some shots of the cockpit canopy in place and the nose glazing re-polished. I used Ced's idea for the black Miliput. It seems to be setting a little faster than usual but it still looks like I have a wait on my hands. Once this is cleaned up I can see about getting the landing light and gondola glazing in place. After that there are three more undercarriage doors to thin down and I think we will be ready for primer. Oops! I forgot that canopy masking job I have been so looking forward to. Bugger!

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

I love how you are showing the young whippysnappies that Old Airfix is as good as any other maker as long as the modeller is up for it

Great model, but no, I won't be building a new Luftwaffe any time soon

I think the Frog Me410 and Uhus could be the last Luftwaffe ones from me

Which was many years ago

So why does squiggly dunkelgrau over helgrau suddenly interest me strangely?.....

• Like 2

The photos are rather bad, but they show clearly that the new glazing makes such a great difference on that kit (and on old Airfix etc. in general. So thanks to Falcon for doing this little nice for a great improvement!). Cheers

• Like 1

Plus +1 to what Benedikt said about the glazing.

A real transformation; there's a lot of canopy there on the real thing; the 1960's and 70's vintage kits suffer with a kind of  'jam jar bottom spectacles' effect in many cases.

Using the Falcon here, this now looks like a real model of the real thing (as opposed to toylike), whereas the original thick canopies would detract from that.

Nice :):thumbsup2: 

TonyT

26 minutes ago, perdu said:

I love how you are showing the young whippysnappies that Old Airfix is as good as any other maker as long as the modeller is up for it

Great model, but no, I won't be building a new Luftwaffe any time soon

I think the Frog Me410 and Uhus could be the last Luftwaffe ones from me

Which was many years ago

So why does squiggly dunkelgrau over helgrau suddenly interest me strangely?.....

Thanks Bill but other than the canopy, I really haven't had to do anything that difficult.

21 minutes ago, bbudde said:

The photos are rather bad, but they show clearly that the new glazing makes such a great difference on that kit (and on old Airfix etc. in general. So thanks to Falcon for doing this little nice for a great improvement!). Cheers

I know my photography sucks. I may try and do some in natural light and see f they are any better.

18 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Coming together nicely, not to far to go now!

Roger

Thanks Roger.

3 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Plus +1 to what Benedikt said about the glazing.

A real transformation; there's a lot of canopy there on the real thing; the 1960's and 70's vintage kits suffer with a kind of  'jam jar bottom spectacles' effect in many cases.

Using the Falcon here, this now looks like a real model of the real thing (as opposed to toylike), whereas the original thick canopies would detract from that.

Nice :):thumbsup2: 

TonyT

Thanks Tony, I think that if one of the Falcon canopies can be made to fit it is always worth the effort with these older kits. That and a bit of a re-scribe can transform them, just going to show that many are not as bad as one might initially think.

Martian

• Like 3

I'd say that really not having a lot to do to it was ALL of the point Martian, you are doing a great service to the models we loved, back when we loved 'em

And I'm a huge fan of  Falcon's canopies, their magic set for Royal Naval aircraft looms large in the times I have ahead...

;)

• Like 1

Nice blending Martian and I hope the Milliput trick works - hopefully it'll be ready for the next stage soon!

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:40, longshanks said:

Strange that the canopies appear quite well whilst the rest is a bit wobbly

Glad you've run out of excuses Martian the Mover!

Kev

No, fairs fair. My photography is not that good. I tried taking some more pictures in natural daylight earlier today and will post them as son as I have finished replying to the latest posts.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:03, perdu said:

I'd say that really not having a lot to do to it was ALL of the point Martian, you are doing a great service to the models we loved, back when we loved 'em

And I'm a huge fan of  Falcon's canopies, their magic set for Royal Naval aircraft looms large in the times I have ahead...

;)

Thanks Bill, I am rather hopinh that this thread encourages more people to take another look at some of these old kits.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:14, CedB said:

Nice blending Martian and I hope the Milliput trick works - hopefully it'll be ready for the next stage soon!

It sort of worked, it knocked about 24 hours of the drying time but it still took way longer than Miliput advertise.

Martian

• Like 1

You see, Martian, that's what happens when

you take pictures in Earth's atmosphere and

not in the methane infused soup in your saucer.

It is looking rather nice though.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You see, Martian, that's what happens when

you take pictures in Earth's atmosphere and

not in the methane infused soup in your saucer.

It is looking rather nice though.

Thanks Pete, there is no truth in the rumour that the methane is due to the large quantity of Martian beans consumed!

29 minutes ago, adey m said:

My God Martian.............is that a fossilised Alien that your Junkers is sat on......................????

Its the patio table, for some reason I get better results when I do pictures on it. The last time I actually saw a fossilised alien was, coincidentally, when I last looked in the mirror!

Martian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

As promised, some (sort of) better pictures of the transparencies in place.

Martian

image.jpg

Creatures will complain when you post these on the Marsmodeller forum that they are too clear and don't have enough methane haze in the shot!

The terrestrial sunlight however really shows off the clarity of that canopy wonderfully. This continues to be a calming pleasure to watch unfold. :thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 2

Lovely work on the whole thing and the crystal clear canopies too! So why is it that when I take a picture of my Falcon canopies outside I don't get to see a damn' thing through 'em? Is it the famous "London Pea Souper" at work??

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Creatures will complain when you post these on the Marsmodeller forum that they are too clear and don't have enough methane haze in the shot!

What chance does that give me then?

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely work on the whole thing and the crystal clear canopies too! So why is it that when I take a picture of my Falcon canopies outside I don't get to see a damn' thing through 'em? Is it the famous "London Pea Souper" at work??

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Sadly I can't answer your question as photography has always been a bit of a closed book to me. I can do many things but it seems that the art is doomed never to be one of them.

Martian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Looking like a treat of a model - the natural light does show the work off nicely

Thanks, I am looking forward to getting the last bits and pieces done so that I can start painting the thing. Still, I should be able to have good long crack at it tomorrow and if I can get the rest of the canopy joints finished tonight, I could be close to having it ready. Any volunteers to do the masking? No? Somehow I thought not!

Martian

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Sorry - my masking mojo depleted by Viggen antics. You're on your own

Thanks for your help!

Martian the Disappointed but not surprised

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Navy Bird said:

Send it to me, I'll mask it. Is it worth the transatlantic postage? I actually like masking because I'm, well, odd.

Cheers,

Bill

That is weird! :mental:However, be vary careful what you wish for Bill!

Martian

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Send it to me, I'll mask it. Is it worth the transatlantic postage? I actually like masking because I'm, well, odd.

Cheers,

Bill

You mad impetuous fool you(says he whom has to mask for a living).:ner:

S'looking awfully good Mr Consul,lots more haile selassie than the last time I had a go at it....(no,no,no,absolutely no publicity for it).

• Like 2