Airfix Ju-88

Martian

5 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

Good old Zoom. Where would we be without Eduard's goodies, hey?

Back to scraps of plastic card and fuse wire I guess!

4 hours ago, bbudde said:

That looks fine. The tiny cockpit details will be clearly visible thanks to the falcon clear part. Also nice racks and wheel bay. Have you sanded the dive brakes? They look tiny too. Cheers

Thanks Bbudde, no I just cleaned a little bit of flash off the air brakes.

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Looking good!

I like the idea of a "how to" build, I may do one of those myself aimed at those who dread the thought of rigging a biplane but would like to try their hand at it...I already know what my next build will be so I could easily use that. Thanks Sprueloose for the idea!

Ian

Cheers Ian. Rigging? a doddle. I did a demonstration on an Avro 504K for a local model club once, it took me all of two hours and still they were scared of rigging at the end of it!

Martian

• Like 2

Looking great Martian!

I get quite lost in the detail and forget what scale this thing is. 

May I humbly request some object be included in a pic so that newbies like me can get our heads around the actual scale you are working in?

I am glad to see that you are having fun with this trip down memory lane!

Thanks for letting us follow you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

Ah good old rudimentary scratch building. 

That's the idea!

21 minutes ago, Sprueloose said:

Looking great Martian!

I get quite lost in the detail and forget what scale this thing is. 

May I humbly request some object be included in a pic so that newbies like me can get our heads around the actual scale you are working in?

I am glad to see that you are having fun with this trip down memory lane!

Thanks for letting us follow you!

Thanks Sprueloose. I think I have just the thing to illustrate scale, I just have to remember to use it.

Martian the Absent Minded

This evening I bit the bullet and began work on fitting the transparencies. I started with the nose part first as this promises to be the most work. Following it's baths in Klear it had the machine gun fitted and was glued in place. Gap filling super glue was used to fill a few small gaps and all this will be sanded smooth and polished once the glue has had time to cure. A couple of scraps of clear plastic were glued into place in the gaps for the gondola side windows and once again treated with super glue. The nose of the aircraft will need building up slightly with Miliput as there is a step where it meets the nose glazing. Waiting for that to cure properly will slow matters down for sure!

Sprueloose, does the forensic rule in the pictures meet your needs? If so I can use it on future builds.

Thanks or looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Forensigraph kind of appropriate with it laying on its back with its legs in the air :ghost:

I was going to ask was that the kind of reference chart used in scene-of-crime photography? Not only looks smart scale-wise but a good colour reference too for forensic modelling. I sense a new cop show: Martian PI....

Tony

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Forensigraph kind of appropriate with it laying on its back with its legs in the air :ghost:

Why am I not surprised that Ced was the first to like that post?

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I was going to ask was that the kind of reference chart used in scene-of-crime photography? Not only looks smart scale-wise but a good colour reference too for forensic modelling. I sense a new cop show: Martian PI....

Tony

I think my interrogation methods would be too graphic for TV! When I was a Customs Officer, my superior and I operated a "Good cop, bad cop" routine. Guess which one I got to be!

Martian the Inquisitor

• Like 4

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:42 AM, Martian Hale said:

This evening I bit the bullet and began work on fitting the transparencies. I started with the nose part first as this promises to be the most work. Following it's baths in Klear it had the machine gun fitted and was glued in place. Gap filling super glue was used to fill a few small gaps and all this will be sanded smooth and polished once the glue has had time to cure. A couple of scraps of clear plastic were glued into place in the gaps for the gondola side windows and once again treated with super glue. The nose of the aircraft will need building up slightly with Miliput as there is a step where it meets the nose glazing. Waiting for that to cure properly will slow matters down for sure!

Sprueloose, does the forensic rule in the pictures meet your needs? If so I can use it on future builds.

Thanks or looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, TheBaron said:

Tony

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, Martian Hale said:

Why am I not surprised that Ced was the first to like that post?

I think my interrogation methods would be too graphic for TV! When I was a Customs Officer, my superior and I operated a "Good cop, bad cop" routine. Guess which one I got to be!

Martian the Inquisitor

Nah. That's what Martian wants you to think! What really happened is that he nicked it from one of the NASA probes that landed in his back garden:

Mars_Calibration.jpg

• Like 6

Well, it was on my flower bed! In other news, I have got the nose glazing faired into the fuselage and am now waiting for the Miliput to decide to cure so I can get it sanded down. Next update in the Miliput's own god time.

Martian the Impatient 

• Like 3

Your Milliput obviously isn't old enough! Mine is about ten years old now (bought from Beatties) and it dries in about 3 hours.

Looking forward to some piccies!

(Of the Ju, not your garden)

Regards,

Adrian

8 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Nah. That's what Martian wants you to think! What really happened is that he nicked it from one of the NASA probes that landed in his back garden:

So that's why NASA put so many cameras on their rovers of late. Mobile CCTV to deter the tea-leaves of Ares. If you look carefully that shadow above and to the right of the Viking lander is himself scuttling away with all the copper wiring:

800px-PSP_001521_2025_RED_VL-1_lander.pn

:whistle:

• Like 4

Well, copper wiring has a multitude of uses and it would be a shame to let it go to waste, especially as Martians nearest LMS is 249,000,000 miles away!

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

Well, copper wiring has a multitude of uses and it would be a shame to let it go to waste, especially as Martians nearest LMS is 249,000,000 miles away!

Bit of a run in whatever interstellar speed machine is available methinks.

Far simpler to clamber into an Earth transportation device and sidle over to somewhere West of the Meridian or even the conurbation of

say,Barth(not Bath)and alleviate a quantity from some poor unfortunate who is banging on about a satellite catching machine or even fiddling with a

dodgy Spit XIV supplied by a Frosties scoffer in Oz and furtively moulding his own pilots............

"Gadzooks":frantic:they carom "my copper wire has been pilfered by some interstellar fiend from Dorrzitt in a very high powered transportaion device":deadhorse:

He-hee;)

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

So that's why NASA put so many cameras on their rovers of late. Mobile CCTV to deter the tea-leaves of Ares. If you look carefully that shadow above and to the right of the Viking lander is himself scuttling away with all the copper wiring:

800px-PSP_001521_2025_RED_VL-1_lander.pn

:whistle:

Possibly the funniest post you have made in a long time Baroness! :rofl:

12 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

Fortunately my Haunebu can get me to Plastic Pastimes in approximately ten minutes depending on the traffic!

3 hours ago, Miggers said:

Bit of a run in whatever interstellar speed machine is available methinks.

Far simpler to clamber into an Earth transportation device and sidle over to somewhere West of the Meridian or even the conurbation of

say,Barth(not Bath)and alleviate a quantity from some poor unfortunate who is banging on about a satellite catching machine or even fiddling with a

dodgy Spit XIV supplied by a Frosties scoffer in Oz and furtively moulding his own pilots............

"Gadzooks":frantic:they carom "my copper wire has been pilfered by some interstellar fiend from Dorrzitt in a very high powered transportaion device":deadhorse:

He-hee;) 

Just for once I am lost for words! :giggle: Why do I end up with all the fruit cakes on my threads? :mental:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Why do I end up with all the fruit cakes on my threads? :mental:

Does that mean I have joined the club at last!?

Are there t-shirts??

Christian, exiled to africa and in the Fruit Cake Club at last!

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 2

Just now, wyverns4 said:

Does that mean I have joined the club at last!?

Are there t-shirts??

You are almost over qualified Christian! Tee shirts eh? Now there's a thought! :hmmm:

Martian

• Like 1

Your forensic rule is lovely Martian, as is the model.  Will there be a chalk outline around the apparent corpse? 

Seriously it looks like you are doing a wonderful job of resuscitating the patient. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Fortunately my Haunebu can get me to Plastic Pastimes in approximately ten minutes depending on the traffic!

Just for once I am lost for words! :giggle: Why do I end up with all the fruit cakes on my threads? :mental:

WHOOSH,(screeches to a stop outside above mentioned emporium)"A roll of thin copper wire please my good man" WHOOSH........

On the tee shirt front could I have medium please(he is rather slim you know)

In other news,I built the old Airfix Ju88 around 30+years ago and converted it into a "G-6-ish"nightfighter.

I alleviated a spares box Matchbox 188 of it's tail unit,a spare Airfix Mossie nose(keep it in the family eh)for the

"buisness end",some rather exotic markings from a free Scale Models sheet and off we went.

Felt pretty smug about it too,a G-6 nightfighter model was a rather rare bird back then.........

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sprueloose said:

Your forensic rule is lovely Martian, as is the model.  Will there be a chalk outline around the apparent corpse? 

Seriously it looks like you are doing a wonderful job of resuscitating the patient. 

And I thought the insanity clause had not yet reached you! Clearly you are catching up fast!

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Martian, don't forget you can always discombobulate them with your Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

You mean like this? :shoot:

Roll on the Miliput drying properly we may have something vaguely sensible to discuss!

Martian he Mindless Optimist

• Like 1

I hesitate to make suggestions to Martian the Master but have you tried the 'sausage mixing method' with Milliput? AlexN put me on to this trick - rolling the separate parts into thin sausages and then twisting them together to mix. I've started breaking off small, equal lengths from these and mixing in batches - if I've cut too much off the big rolls (as if!) then the remaining sausages can be put back in the plastic wrap - as long as you're SURE you kept them apart.

According to the Milliput website it should dry rock hard within 3 - 4 hours and that's been my experience, even after I've used water to smooth it over.

HTH

• Like 2