Airfix Ju-88

Martian

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

In the late news, a certain Martian of this parish was quoted as being "disappointed" at the early results of his appeal for volunteers to tidy the Martian cave.

Do you meet minimum wage? I'm a tad over 25.............

Kev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Very smart Martian - be honest, you've sprayed her with some light blue primer haven't you? Not a sign of any filler anywhere, let alone glue blobs...

Very tidy work Sir, good job :) 

Thanks Ced. There is a small amount of filler around the wing roots but other than that, the kit is a pretty good fit, especially when one considers it's age.

2 hours ago, Sprueloose said:

Looks great Martian! Re the bespoke putty/filler tool, I made a couple out of bits of PE epoxied into chopsticks. The steel PE gives you a stiffer blade than the brass. 

Cheers Sprueloose. It is a bespoke sanding tool I need but it will most likely be along the lines you suggest.

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Do you meet minimum wage? I'm a tad over 25.............

Kev

I advertised for living wage plus but still no takers. The one person that did turn up for an interview, took one look at the cave and ran screaming for the hills, tearing at his hair and muttering something about the job description being beyond God and reason! I'm sure you will make something of that Kev!

Martian

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Ced. There is a small amount of filler around the wing roots but other than that, the kit is a pretty good fit, especially when one considers it's age.

Cheers Sprueloose. It is a bespoke sanding tool I need but it will most likely be along the lines you suggest.

I advertised for living wage plus but still no takers. The one person that did turn up for an interview, took one look at the cave and ran screaming for the hills, tearing at his hair and muttering something about the job description being beyond God and reason! I'm sure you will make something of that Kev!

Martian

I've got a flamethrower and chainsaw and need to return to the sanity of civilization to recharge the batteries. So a bit of naked aggression would be most welcome; just need air fares covered , sufficient egg & bacon banjo's and beer and I'm your mad axe waving chainsaw armed flaming lunatic man.;)

You have used basically no filler????? :hypnotised: Last time I built that bird, (lets just say last century), quite a lot of Humbrols' finest was used. In fact that kit ended up being my first muse for Miliput as the Humbrol filler kept crumbling.

On-On!

christian, in africa sharpening up his tools...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, wyverns4 said:

I've got a flamethrower and chainsaw and need to return to the sanity of civilization to recharge the batteries. So a bit of naked aggression would be most welcome; just need air fares covered , sufficient egg & bacon banjo's and beer and I'm your mad axe waving chainsaw armed flaming lunatic man.;)

You have used basically no filler????? :hypnotised: Last time I built that bird, (lets just say last century), quite a lot of Humbrols' finest was used. In fact that kit ended up being my first muse for Miliput as the Humbrol filler kept crumbling.

On-On!

christian, in africa sharpening up his tools...

Apart from the aileron recesses and adjusting the upper nose profile to match the new canopy, which were modifications I chose to do, the only filler has been a bit on the wing roots and on the bomb racks. Not bad for a kit produced way back in 1964.

Ah the old Humbrol filler! Harder than armour plate, now there's a bit of nostalgia I am happy to miss out on!

Martian

• Like 2

Tidying is easy... big skip, shovel, pitch fork, throw stuff at skip using shovel and fork, go to pub after truck leaves.

Easy as.

The Junkers is looking very Junkery Martin. Ab fab cobber.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob G said:

Tidying is easy... big skip, shovel, pitch fork, throw stuff at skip using shovel and fork, go to pub after truck leaves.

Easy as.

The Junkers is looking very Junkery Martin. Ab fab cobber.

Thanks for the compliment Rob. However seeing as nearly all of the stuff in my cave is modelling related and therefore essential, the only piece of your advice I can agree with is the going to the pub bit!

Martian

• Like 2

Following efforts to tidy the Martian Cave, I have added the airbrakes under the wings, these were right pigs to clean up, glued the pilot's seat in place and added the tail wheel's mudguard, this was also hard to thin down. For want of any other German bombs, I have also begun cleaning up the kit items. I have absolutely no idea what sort of bombs the Spanish Air Force used but the kit items will look better than empty racks. They will also be more in keeping with the spirit of the build than just throwing some money at the problem.

I have cleaned up the control column the gunners seat and the kit guns and having masked the cockpit area off, shot some primer at the lot. Prior to priming, the seats had small slits cut in them to accept the Eduard seat belts. The transparencies have all had a couple of coats of Klear to improve clarity.

I think I will try and knock the undercarriage on the head this evening. Still to come though, is the tedious but necessary task of thinning the undercarriage doors. May not get them done tonight though as I am pretty whacked after some micro shenanigans on my CF-104D Starfighter build.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 12

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Coming together rather well M. :thumbsup:

John

You are too kind Earthling!

2 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

This is coming on leaps and bounds my green friend!

Thanks, I am looking forward to getting the cockpit painted. The trouble is that I keep finding things that need doing first. Still, the number of bits left in the box is steadily diminishing and I can't be that far away.

Martian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Good to see you're not loosing sight of the mission statement....

You'll never get home otherwise

Kev

It can be a bit of a struggle not to go mad on the thing but if I do, the whole point of the build will be lost.

47 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I too am looking forward to seeing that cockpit Martian. This is all looking briskly efficient.

Tony

There's a first, Martian and efficient mentioned in the same sentence!

Martian

• Like 2

I have been quite busy on this build since the last update. I have added the sway braces to the bomb racks. I have drilled out the torque links and attached them to the main undercarriage legs. Some representative structure has also been added to the nacelles.

The most obvious difference s that I have painted the cockpit and added some bits from the Eduard PE set for the Revell kit. I was pleasantly surprised that quite a lot of the set was able to be used and I feel it has added quite a bit to the appearance of the cockpit.

Painting of the guns has begun and I hope to get this finished today as they will need fitting to the transparencies before they themselves can be glued to the model.

I have had time to consider Sprueloose's comments about doing a build aimed at modellers who want to make that first step from OOB builds and/or tart up an older kit and have decided to give this a go. I think that many of us are guilty of assuming that the people watching our builds here automatically know what we are talking about. I hold my hand up as being one of the worst offenders here. I am currently deciding which kit will be featured and will get a thread going in the near future. I have been enjoying this build so hopefully some fun will be had with the next build.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

That cockpit is looking tidy. The PE has spruced it up nicely. 

Thanks and not that much effort required either. A fiver well spent methinks

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Great internals Martian and (one just for you) nice racks, fnaar fnaar! :D 

Thanks Ced, I expected nothing less of you!

35 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Yes. That is looking good now. You do have a nice 'pit and a good rack, as others have not been shy of suggesting...

Thanks Baroness, clearly you are well on the mend!

Martian

• Like 2

Looking good!

I like the idea of a "how to" build, I may do one of those myself aimed at those who dread the thought of rigging a biplane but would like to try their hand at it...I already know what my next build will be so I could easily use that. Thanks Sprueloose for the idea!

Ian

• Like 2