Airfix Ju-88

Martian

9 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I wouldn't say there isn't a lot to show for your labours, it isnt looking like the old kit i built not quite as long ago as you martian, good work

Glynn

Thanks Glynn. Of course, Muppet that I I am I forgot that a chunk of my time was taken up with cleaning up, assembling, filling and sanding the propeller assemblies! :doh:

Martian the Forgetfull

• Like 2

I'll second Glynn's comments Martian - she's coming together really well and I for one know how long it takes to perfect small changes like you've done on that canopy fit.

Good job Sir!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'll second Glynn's comments Martian - she's coming together really well and I for one know how long it takes to perfect small changes like you've done on that canopy fit.

Good job Sir!

Thanks Ced, that's very kind.

Martian

• Like 1

Greeting Earthlings! Update time again. I decided that I could probably get the Falcon gondola transparency to fit after all. After many Martian swear words and a few Earth ones as well, I managed to insert a thick piece of plastic card into the opening for the kit's transparency. When set the out line of the replacement part was drawn on it and the new opening cut away just inside this line. The exterior of the gondola had to be re-shaped to match the new clear part. It was also necessary to re-profile the rear of the gondola to match the new part This was achieved using plastic strip, built up with Perfect Plastic Putty.

I keep thinking that I ought to try getting the Falcon nose transparency to fit. The problem with this is twofold. Firstly, it will involve extending the kit nose by about 2mm and I am worried that might make it look a bit odd and secondly, if I get it wrong, the whole build could end up going down the tubes.

It was discovered that although the kit bomb racks were not the best fit in the world, the Kora ones were an even worse fit. To be fair though they were never designed for this kit in the first place. Accordingly the kit racks were glued into place and the gaps made good with Miliput. I will tidy these up in about two weeks when the stuff has dried!

Anyhoo, here's where we are at as of this evening and this time I have even included the propellers that were so conspicuously missing from the last update.

Thanks for looking.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 14

Looking very tidy indeed Martian :).

Very clean lines, a precise purposeful look about it. Milliput has never dried for me, it sounds like you've experienced the same thing. I hope it doesn't take two weeks.

The model is looking quite close to the primer stage now.

Great progress :thumbsup2: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

It's flying along now! I didn't realise there was an opening in the back bulkhead. It will look much better with Falcon canopies too.

I thought the Airfix bomb racks in that kit were a pretty good job so I think they will look just fine. 

Keep on "Martinising"!

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, longshanks said:

Can't beat a bit of plastic surgery

especially when it's coaxed along with foul language and a big stick

Nice one !

Kev

Thanks Kev. I have decided not to do the nose though as it will be making the aircraft look odd just for the sake of using the Falcon bit. Just for once the cold light of day brings reason to Martian world!

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Looking very tidy indeed Martian :).

Very clean lines, a precise purposeful look about it. Milliput has never dried for me, it sounds like you've experienced the same thing. I hope it doesn't take two weeks.

The model is looking quite close to the primer stage now.

Great progress :thumbsup2: 

All the best

TonyT

Thanks Tony. The comment about the Miliput is a joking reference to the claim on the packet that it can be sanded within two hours. In reality two or three days is more realistic. When the filler is dry, I reckon three or four sessions to get to the primer stage, I have to allow for the fact that I still have cockpit work still to do including masking, fitting and fairing in the transparencies.

5 hours ago, Sprueloose said:

Lovely bit of work! :worthy:

Thank you Sprueloose.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

It's flying along now! I didn't realise there was an opening in the back bulkhead. It will look much better with Falcon canopies too.

I thought the Airfix bomb racks in that kit were a pretty good job so I think they will look just fine. 

Keep on "Martinising"!

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian. I was surprised to learn of the opening in the bulkhead but indeed there was one. I agree about the bomb racks, I was going to use the Kora ones just because they came with the decals. No big deal though as they were a bit of a bonus anyway.

I think the verb is actually Martianising following Mike's decree that I am in fact a Martian!

Martian 

• Like 2

Been away and am catching up. You have done a lot on this since I last looked in and I am having to look twice to check that it really is Airfix! This is a major improvement for this old kit - it really is beginning to look like a Ju 88 after all. Great work - looking forward to seeing the colours go on.

P

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pheonix said:

Been away and am catching up. You have done a lot on this since I last looked in and I am having to look twice to check that it really is Airfix! This is a major improvement for this old kit - it really is beginning to look like a Ju 88 after all. Great work - looking forward to seeing the colours go on.

P

Thanks. I couldn't sleep last night so I made a start on the undercarriage. I think I will finish sorting that and the undercarriage doors out before starting squirting paint and then there is the delightful prospect of cleaning up those airbrakes.

Martian

• Like 2

That's bowling along at a nice rate there Martian - lovely work. You've probably mentioned it already but are you going the OOB route for paint and decals or something exotic?

Tony

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 20:15, rob85 said:

It's looking great, lots of work going into this.... and really not looking anything like the airfix original, in a very good way

rob

Thanks Rob, I have tried to use as much of the original kit as possible. I think the alteration that th makes th most difference is the removal of the kit rivets and the re-scribe.

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 20:23, TheBaron said:

That's bowling along at a nice rate there Martian - lovely work. You've probably mentioned it already but are you going the OOB route for paint and decals or something exotic?

Tony

The kit decals are totally shot so I have purchased some Spanish decals from Kora.

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Yay! Managed to get in before paint. ;)

How on earth did miss this?:blink2:

cracking job so far O Green one, she looks lovely. 

Johnny late to the party.

Thanks Johnny. Life has got in the way over the last few days and severely limited my time at the bench. Later today looks pretty clear so hopefully I can finish cleaning up around the bomb racks and get their stays added. I also hope to get the main undercarriage wrapped up, the doors will need a lot of thinning before they are ready for use.

Martian

• Like 5

Right, update time. I have been cleaning up where the bomb racks needed filler, a bit more polishing to go there. This is a bit tricky as it is hard to get into some of the smaller spaces that needed filler. I can see a bespoke tool looming over the horizon to sort this one.

The main undercarriage legs are in place and just need the activation mechanism adding if I can find out what that looked like. I think I will add some representative structure to the wheel well roof as it does look a bit bare. Nothing fancy though.

I have also spent quite some time replacing all the activators for the control surfaces that were lost in the re-scribing process. Unusually for me, I found this a bit on the fiddly side, maybe I was just having an off day?  I have also added the towel rail aerial under the fuselage. In keeping with the spirit of this build I cleaned up the kit part and popped it into place. The carpet monster decided to eat the small vent that goes at the end of the fuselage so a new one had to be carved from plastic card. Strangely, although the control activators had just given me trouble, this tiny part presented no issues whatsoever. Go figure! The tail wheel was also added to the model and it was nice to stand it on it's undercarriage for the first time.

I need to sort something out for the landing light and then I can get onto the cockpit. I must remember to give the clear parts a bath in Klear.

There remains one more very intimidating task before the model can go to paint and one with which the BM massive cannot help with. I need to tidy the Martian cave before I can set up the airbrush. Bugger!

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

This looks superb Martian. I too have this Kora set with the resin bomb racks. I have to say that the Airfix ones you have fitted, to my eye, look a lot better than the resin ones included in the decal set.

The activators look very good indeed and were welll worth your time and effort, even if not the most pleasant part of the build. Cleaned up aerial and scratch built vent look a treat! 

Great stuff :)!

TonyT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This looks superb Martian. I too have this Kora set with the resin bomb racks. I have to say that the Airfix ones you have fitted, to my eye, look a lot better than the resin ones included in the decal set.

The activators look very good indeed and were welll worth your time and effort, even if not the most pleasant part of the build. Cleaned up aerial and scratch built vent look a treat! 

Great stuff :)!

TonyT

Thanks Tony. I think the Kora parts are too wide. They are certainly too wide for the Airfix kit. Still, I expect I will find a use for them somewhere.

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Is it a plane, is it a bird.............

No it's an antique Martian playing with antique plastic and doing a dammed fine job sir!

Kev

Thanks Kev. You may have been right first time, if you count in Earth years, antique Martian may not be too far off the mark. In Martian years though I am still a spring chicken!

In the late news, a certain Martian of this parish was quoted as being "disappointed" at the early results of his appeal for volunteers to tidy the Martian cave.

Martian

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks good Martin! I read somewhere the vent at the back of the fuselage is a fuel dump outlet.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. The fuel dump suggestion makes sense.

Martian

6 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

That's looking dead smart Martian - those actuators really bring that surface to life.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I am not sure why they gave me so much trouble, I make parts many times smaller and complicated than this on a routine basis.

Martian

• Like 1

Very smart Martian - be honest, you've sprayed her with some light blue primer haven't you? Not a sign of any filler anywhere, let alone glue blobs...

Very tidy work Sir, good job :) 

• Like 1

Looks great Martian! Re the bespoke putty/filler tool, I made a couple out of bits of PE epoxied into chopsticks. The steel PE gives you a stiffer blade than the brass. 

• Like 1