Airfix Ju-88

Martian

Its that Martian again time Guys. Today, as promised, I bring you the pictures of the elevators and ruder in place on the model. It seemed to take an age thinning them down and fettling them so that they fitted properly. Next job will be to get them polished and to add assorted greebies to them, actuators and such like. This will be followed by sorting the ailerons out before adding the wings. I am expecting a bit of a battle here as  the fit is not good at all. Still, I expect that some plastic card shims will help and after all this is what model putty was invented for!

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

These are truly impressive improvements that you are making - and without going to town either!

P

Thanks, that is the plan for this build, keep it simple and have fun.

Martian

Another lovely bit of nostalgia Martian. I built two of these many years ago, the guns are so finely moulded I remember.

I challenge you to make the undercarriage retract as Airfix intended...............backwards and rotate through 90 degrees to lay flat in the nacelle as it did on the Real Thing..........................

There is something so warm and cosy about an old Airfix kit..................

• Like 1

resized_66cb6189-b837-4c71-a743-6a3e3d51

Here is one of those inspiring Airfix adverts that appeared in magazines back in the 1960s which just made you want to rush off to your nearest F.W. Woolworths.........

Edited by adey m
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, adey m said:

Another lovely bit of nostalgia Martian. I built two of these many years ago, the guns are so finely moulded I remember.

I challenge you to make the undercarriage retract as Airfix intended...............backwards and rotate through 90 degrees to lay flat in the nacelle as it did on the Real Thing..........................

There is something so warm and cosy about an old Airfix kit..................

Thanks Adey, too late for the undercarriage though, the main mounting has long since been glued into place

4 hours ago, clive_t said:

Looking good, and again, some very neat scribing :) 

Thanks Clive, much appreciated.

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That manly artefact is looking most pleasant to the eye. I've a chiffon scarf in that same lovely pale blue.

Toodle-oo!

I did a double take there Baroness. I had to go back and check that I had not taken a selfie there! Fnar, fnar.

2 hours ago, adey m said:

resized_66cb6189-b837-4c71-a743-6a3e3d51

Here is one of those inspiring Airfix adverts that appeared in magazines back in the 1960s which just made you want to rush off to your nearest F.W. Woolworths.........

Well it worked big time for them didn't it! Even when the Airfix group went bust in 1980, the kit arm of the business was still running at a profit.

As of this evening, the wings are on the model. The starboard wing was a good fit, the port wing pants. I guess that didn't matter that much to the eight year old Martian and making sure everything lined up correctly even less. Hopefully it will all have cured sufficiently by tomorrow for me to make a start on cleaning the roots up. More sanding, scribing and polishing! Whacko!

Martian

• Like 3

Erm.. I may have one of these that I started scribing about 35 years ago. A few years after that, I realised that the grooves were waaaaay too deep, and started filling them. I wonder if the sprue goo has cured yet? I should check, I suppose.

:whistles:

Lovely dose of nostalgia Martin, and she do look good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Erm.. I may have one of these that I started scribing about 35 years ago. A few years after that, I realised that the grooves were waaaaay too deep, and started filling them. I wonder if the sprue goo has cured yet? I should check, I suppose.

:whistles:

Lovely dose of nostalgia Martin, and she do look good.

Why not? What have you got to lose?

Martian

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Why not? What have you got to lose?

Martian

My sanity, p'raps? Or possibly my life, given that it's at the bottom of the bottom-most box at the bottom of the stash, and without a guide I may never make it back should I venture there.

My attempt at the kit is pretty well pants, so it's possible that I may also lose my modelling cred.

Hahahahahahhahaha. Yeah, like I've got any. (Darn it, now I'm trying to see if I can fit it into the current schedule (such as it is.))

Edit. Maybe for this year's KUTA? Talk about your delayed gratification...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob G said:

My sanity, p'raps? Or possibly my life, given that it's at the bottom of the bottom-most box at the bottom of the stash, and without a guide I may never make it back should I venture there.

My attempt at the kit is pretty well pants, so it's possible that I may also lose my modelling cred.

Hahahahahahhahaha. Yeah, like I've got any. (Darn it, now I'm tryingto see if I can fit it into the current schedule (such as it is.))

Edit. Maybe for this year's KUTA? Talk about your delayed gratification...

No Rob, you surrendered your sanity the moment you joined BM! Sheesh! another one that didn't read the small print!

Martian

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Martian Hale said:

No Rob, you surrendered your sanity the moment you joined BM! Sheesh! another one that didn't read the small print!

Martian

There was small print? (I was joking about my sanity, lost that years ago!)

I may suggest a Super KUTA (hmm, that sounds vaguely naughty) for builds that stalled over 20 years ago. I'm sure that many of us have at least a couple.

• Like 2

Just now, Rob G said:

There was small print? (I was joking about my sanity, lost that years ago!)

I may suggest a Super KUTA (hmm, that sounds vaguely naughty) for builds that stalled over 20 years ago. I'm sure that many of us have at least a couple.

Not a bad idea. Not sure I could go quite that far back though.

Martian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

I have a Veeday Albatros XII (?) that was put away in the late 70's/early 80's......that could be a challenge....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Another vote for the scribing Martian, it looks superb :thumbsup2: .

All those people building squadrons of Spitfires have sadly swallowed up my 'likes' allowance for the day, but as soon as the forum allows, I'll be back to plonk some on those pictures of the baby blue beastie!

Very nice work on thinning the control surfaces. I'm not sure if they're in halves? If so, did you thin them from inside? I never know how to tackle this with the older kits.

I would be interested to know what you're using to polish the surfaces after scribing too, it's given it a very 'new plastic' look.

Jolly Junkering-tastic  :).

TonyT

PS: OK, once everything's unpacked in our new home and my new man cave is organised, I'll get mine out, stop fondling its parts (is Ced around?) and finally get it built. This build has twisted my arm ;).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I have a Veeday Albatros XII (?) that was put away in the late 70's/early 80's......that could be a challenge....

Ian

With the possible exception of the General or myself, you are the only person daft enough to try it!

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Another vote for the scribing Martian, it looks superb :thumbsup2: .

All those people building squadrons of Spitfires have sadly swallowed up my 'likes' allowance for the day, but as soon as the forum allows, I'll be back to plonk some on those pictures of the baby blue beastie!

Very nice work on thinning the control surfaces. I'm not sure if they're in halves? If so, did you thin them from inside? I never know how to tackle this with the older kits.

I would be interested to know what you're using to polish the surfaces after scribing too, it's given it a very 'new plastic' look.

Jolly Junkering-tastic  :).

TonyT

PS: OK, once everything's unpacked in our new home and my new man cave is organised, I'll get mine out, stop fondling its parts (is Ced around?) and finally get it built. This build has twisted my arm ;).

Thanks Tony.

The control surfaces are in halves. I glued them together and thinned them from the outside. They were then re-scribed and polished. As for polishing, I just use different grades of Micromesh cloth, starting at 1500 grit and going down to 12,000 grit. I have just bought some Tamiya polishing compounds, mostly with the NM finish on my Starfighter build in mind but I may well test them out on this model when I come to the final clean up and polish before painting.

Ran out of likes? Why not donate a few quid and become a Gold Member? It helps Mike and the Guys who run the site and gets you extra privileges as well. It doesn't need to be much, I just bung BM a fiver as and when I can afford it. 

Sorry, that's the propaganda bit over!

Martian

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Ran out of likes? Why not donate a few quid and become a Gold Member? It helps Mike and the Guys who run the site and gets you extra privileges as well. It doesn't need to be much, I just bung BM a fiver as and when I can afford it.

But; I am a Gold Member :shrug: .

Maybe I'm on rations :D?

All the best

Tony Goldmember Tiger 

PS: Thank you for the info on polishing. I never knew what to do with the finer grades of micro-mesh, now I do :thumbsup2: .

https://youtu.be/gu31VyXlTzo

TtaaT ;)

Edited by TonyTiger66
PS and link added

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

With the possible exception of the General or myself, you are the only person daft enough to try it!

Been there, done that and it was not pretty!

On with the baby blues! You have me eyeing up a Kingfisher estranged to the shelf of doooooom...

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

the port wing pants

The English language (and Martian ) are wonderful aren't they................

I've seen dogs pant

My better half pants when she sees shoes

I've flown a fair bit and I can honestly say I never seen either wing pant, which is why I'm here writing this nonsense ....

I can only suggest you sand less vigorously :winkgrin:

Keep up the good work

Kev

• Like 1

It all looks very tidy Martin. Looking forward to seeing the wings on.

One of my Airfix '88s is a paint mule (I cracked the fuselage while trying to remove the warp - you would think an evilbay seller would mention that) but I did use the guns on a Heinkel 111, so some of it counts as finished, and the other one is waiting for a lo-ong cold winter when I have nothing else to do.

Regards,

Adrian

(no Apple, not Heineken!)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I did a double take there Baroness. I had to go back and check that I had not taken a selfie there! Fnar, fnar.

My dear old sprout, if it's that shade of blue you may wish to loosen something or consult a doctor.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

Been there, done that and it was not pretty!

On with the baby blues! You have me eyeing up a Kingfisher estranged to the shelf of doooooom...

Christian, exiled to africa

Get on with it then! :poke:

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

I've flown a fair bit and I can honestly say I never seen either wing pant, which is why I'm here writing this nonsense ....

Not to worry Kev, nonsense is pretty much what I expected! :devil:

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It all looks very tidy Martin. Looking forward to seeing the wings on.

One of my Airfix '88s is a paint mule (I cracked the fuselage while trying to remove the warp - you would think an evilbay seller would mention that) but I did use the guns on a Heinkel 111, so some of it counts as finished, and the other one is waiting for a lo-ong cold winter when I have nothing else to do.

Regards,

Adrian

(no Apple, not Heineken!)

Well you managed to sort the old Airfix Heinkel He111 so why not have bash? It should be a doddle by comparison.

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

My dear old sprout, if it's that shade of blue you may wish to loosen something or consult a doctor.

I did! She just laughed and said there was nothing she could do for me!

Martian

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think you've seen enough of my builds to know that I'm daft enough to try anything once! It's a DXI by the way, and it's nowhere near as bad as the pair of Merlins I tackled....(he says before he actually checks it against any kind of plans.....)

Ian

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

But; I am a Gold Member :shrug: .

Maybe I'm on rations :D?

Should have got myself to Specsavers!

Martian the short sighted

• Like 1