Phantom FGR.2 31 Squadron 1/48 Hasegawa

Hello,

I have been planning this since the 1980's Group Build.

Can I join in with my Phantom FGR.2 in 'Bombs & Rockets' guise.  

31 Squadron RAFG Laarbruch. 

• Like 4

I have the Big Ed set for this. And the Alley Cat intakes but may blank the intakes as this would be more accurate than having them open and RBF tags all over the place. Oh there is a Flightpath board step somewehere as well. 

Sounds a bit posh that.

Watch it with the Flightpath bits, theyre not as thin as the Eduard stuff - the FP WSO ladders tried to fight me, they lost, but it was a fight nonetheless.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, At Sea said:

Can I join in with my Phantom FGR.2 in 'Bombs & Rockets' guise.  

31 Squadron RAFG Laarbruch. 

You most certainly can! :yahoo:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

This should be interesting but, if using the kit decals, be aware that they are rather temperamental and haven't aged well.

Hi,

decals are going to be the generic F-4 Stencils from Eduard and the unit & national markings from the AirDoc set.  British specific stencils such as yellow and red walkways and yellow hexagon 'no step' marks will come from the spare Revell Sheet or the spare Hasegawa sheet I have in stock.

Currently undecided regarding ordnance but as the Phantom was cleared to carry so much the plan is torn between historical accuracy and what would have been possible.

Unfortunately it looks like the Shop of Phantoms BL-755 resin 1/48 cluster bombs aren't going to be around in time for the end of the build.

Plan A is:

Outer stations 3x Mk82 US Bombs on a TER as these could have been supplied to RAFG units in time of war.   The Phantom was cleared to carry them.  They were the 'standard' bomb of the time.

Inner stations 3x Rocket pods on a TER.

Centre line Gun Pod.

3x Semi recessed Sparrow and 1 strike camera.

Plan B is:

Outer stations sgt fletcher drop tanks.

Inner Stations 3x Rocket pods on a TER.

Centre gun pod.

Strike camera and a dummy sparrow drill round and aft sparrow bays clear.

My problem is I have pictures of Plan B.  But plan A would look amazing!  

If I had the BL755's I'd modify Plan A & replace the Mk82's with them.

• Like 2

That's be good, much more accurate than Mk.82's.

I did think that in the event of a Warsaw Pact land attack the Phantom's would have probably been kitted up with the full Vietnam load of MER's and 12x Mk.81's or 82's with daisy cutter fuses etc etc.   However thats a bit WHIFFY for this GB.

MERs crossed my mind too, but something in the dark recesses of my brain says its a no-go for RAF or RN Phantoms, but I cant think why not or why my head says that... But I bet it simply says "No" on a bit of MOD paperwork somewhere. :)

Ah - The TERs werent quite the same as the US versions, so perhaps MERs simply arent compatible? Selwyn might know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, obligatory open box shot with my bits. Only the Rocket pods and Mk.82 Bombs built in advance.  Rocket pods by RMP2, Thanks Rob. 

IMG_7696.jpg

Off to build some seats this afternoon...

• Like 4

IMG_5803_2.jpg

And this is one finished.  The other thankfully looks just like it!

Needs some yellow & red painting on the handles.  I'll do that with a 000 brush.

• Like 6

Nice seat. the yellow sets them off nicely. I wasnt sure about the PE eject handles up top either - theyre tidy things but very flat.

Hope the rocket pods cut the mustard, and Im supposed to be looking at my BL755 stash arent I? Cant have Mk82s on it, thatd just be wrong. Too Wrong!!

Theyre the Eduard PE set.

Theyre great unless the paint flicks off when you bend them through 90° or more.

Sorry to answer for At Sea, but hes rubbish at updating posts. ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Sorry to answer for At Sea, but hes rubbish at updating posts. ;)

No worries at all, you carry on chap.  Any chance if email you my pictures you could fight with Photobucket for me too! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, At Sea said:

No worries at all, you carry on chap.  Any chance if email you my pictures you could fight with Photobucket for me too! :rolleyes:

Dont push your luck!

You have a PM regarding some spare BL755s instead. ;)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Progress.

Cockpit finished.  Wheel bays etch added. Parachute door etch lined. 

IMG_7746.jpg

Funny thing these Hasegawa Phantoms.   it always feels like once the cockpit is finished they kind of fall together.

• Like 3