Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Navy Bird

1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

<snip> 

 

Perfect! This will really come in handy when I get around to building the Xtrakit model. Can I assume that the blades not really rounded on top then? What's different about #25? I think I'd still make them all the same in 1:72 scale!

 

Cheers,

Bill

Yep, as you were Bill, not rounded but piramid, much easier :)  I wouldn't blame you for doing them all the same size in 1/72, I wouldn't even change them in 1/48! As for 25 I think it's just the base plate, but again 1/72 I don't think it's going to matter.

John 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I think I'd still make them all the same in 1:72 scale!

 

Can't wait to see how you do the screw head detail Bill...!! :whistle: :D

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Can't wait to see how you do the screw head detail Bill...!! :whistle: :D

 

Keith

 

You funny guy! Come get you egg roll!   :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, believe it or not I'm going to post a progress report! I've been painting and detailing the resin cockpit from Pavla, and although it's not quite finished I think you can get a good idea of what it will look like. As I mentioned before, I painted the pit Gunze H339 Engine Grey FS16081 instead of black. I used a black wash to bring out much of the detail that Pavla cast into this part - and there's a lot of it. The instrument panel and side consoles are from the Eduard photoetch set. The PE was designed for the Airfix kit (which is for the B(I).8 or very early PR.9), not the Pavla resin, so of course none of it fits. So I cut the photoetch into pieces that would match the surfaces of the resin. It's not as difficult as it might sound, you just need some good photoetch shears. So here it is at the moment:

 

IMG_1095

 

IMG_1096

 

IMG_1097

 

IMG_1098

 

The ejection seats will come later. They're always one of the last things I do for some reason. The cockpit fits quite well in the Airfix fuselage - there will be no "Aires Cockpit" sanding sessions that last into the middle of the night!   :)

 

I also purchased the wheel wells from Pavla. They're a direct drop in replacement for what comes with the kit. The Airfix parts are actually pretty good (although there are some ejector pin marks in a few nasty places) but I think what Pavla have produced are much nicer.

 

IMG_1099

 

When I was test fitting the cockpit, I realised that the "lip" at the very front of the fuselage (which the kit nose slides over) has to be removed if the model is displayed with the nose open. Accordingly, I hacked it off. 

 

I might have some more progress tomorrow, but we're also preparing for my grandson's first birthday. This of course means whatever skills I might have related to model building will most likely be called upon to make Mickey Mouse decorations. Ugh.

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

That cockpit looks really good.

Hope your grandson has a great birthday

 

  Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice Canberra like cockpit there Bill - dark with extra darkness!!

 

135i.jpg~original

Edited by 71chally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice Bill, well up to your usual high standard.

Have a good party and good luck with the Mickeys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget to add the girly mag.......

 

canberra%20pr9%20cockpit_01.jpg

 

Photo taken in XH135 at Fairford 2006 - more if you want them.

 

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Really nice Canberra like cockpit there Bill - dark with extra darkness!!

 

135i.jpg~original

What do the big pink buttons do James? The ones that look like Liquorice Allsorts...

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, no standardisation in that cockpit! As a pilot, I looked at it and thought "what a .... mess, where is everything?"

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

Don't forget to add the girly mag.......

 

canberra%20pr9%20cockpit_01.jpg

 

Photo taken in XH135 at Fairford 2006 - more if you want them.

 

Ken

Got to be done Bill and no-one can say you are wrong as you have the picture to prove otherwise!

 

Martian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 71chally said:

Really nice Canberra like cockpit there Bill - dark with extra darkness!!

 

Thanks - all black cockpits are not my favourite. This is the first time I've used H339 as the base colour, though, and I think it works pretty well. It's dark enough to pass for black once it's in the fuselage, and the contrast with the black wash is nicely visible. Almost looks like shadows in a black cockpit - wait, that's what it's supposed to be!   :) 

 

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Don't forget to add the girly mag.......

 

<snip>

 

Photo taken in XH135 at Fairford 2006 - more if you want them.

 

I never knew that military pilots would stoop to such a thing. My lord...what's the world coming to? So, uh, these extra pictures - are they from inside the magazine?   :devil:

 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

What do the big pink buttons do James? The ones that look like Liquorice Allsorts...

 

I'm sure they're red buttons, and the photographer simply had the white balance wrong. I mean, no manly aviator would stand for pink buttons - maybe today, but not when this plane was built! Although, there is the evidence of that magazine...

 

33 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Got to be done Bill and no-one can say you are wrong as you have the picture to prove otherwise!

 

Of course I'm going to do it. The moment I saw Flankerman's picture the deal was sealed. I would like a higher resolution photo of that magazine cover however. Where can I find one of those? I don't think we get that mag here in the colonies.

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 71chally said:

Really nice Canberra like cockpit there Bill - dark with extra darkness!!

 

135i.jpg~original

 

Very nice work Bill, that cockpit will look sweet. Just looking at that picture above and my spotter sense kicked in with those pink 'buttons'. They are plastic caps that are tie wrapped over the real buttons to prevent inadvertent operation or maybe because their function has been removed. You can see the black tie wrap around it. So fear not the air force haven't yet opted for pink in the cockpit!

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right Bob, they are covers over the tank and engines fire warning and cancellation buttons.

Never occurred to me before but should really point these things out in case they get modelled!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

What do the big pink buttons do James? The ones that look like Liquorice Allsorts...

Tony

 

Emergency rations...? :lol:

 

K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Of course I'm going to do it. The moment I saw Flankerman's picture the deal was sealed. I would like a higher resolution photo of that magazine cover however. Where can I find one of those? I don't think we get that mag here in the colonies.

 

Cheers,

Bill

 

Bill,

 

If you PM me with your email address, I can send you the original.

 

I was at RIAT Fairford looking at the PR9 - when I asked one of the crew if I could photograph the cockpit.

 

He hesitated for a moment, then said 'What the hell - it's going out of service, so no harm' - and proceded to let me climb up the cockpit ladder.

 

I took a few pics, then came down - and the pilot was talking to a high-ranking Indian AF guy - who also wanted to look in the cockpit.

 

The pilot asked him to wait a few moments - while he clambered up and removed the (potentially offensive) magazine!!

 

Ken

 

PS - I added a 'girly mag' to my Trumpeter Tu-22M2 model cockpit....... just a bit of whimsy...

 

model_012.jpg

 

....... and a bit of reading material for the Tu-160 crew while they use the facilities......

 

Photo_20.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely stuff Bill, completely missed this, too busy playing with boats, I'm sure you'll work you're magic on it. I built the Airfix PR.9 as an early Bomber Command 58 squadron machine a while back...a few tubes of filler and a fair bit of modifying needed if I recall, the trench lines and camera bays were all over the place, and the gear needed work for it to sit properly....stil,l we overcame adversity thanks to John !

 

Quote

As a pilot, I looked at it and thought "what a .... mess, where is everything?"

 

Don't worry a good friend of mine Nigel flew the B.2 and B.6 and he said exactly the same thing first time he sat in it, mind you saying that have you seen inside a Sea Vixen :doh: 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Wow, no standardisation in that cockpit! As a pilot, I looked at it and thought "what a .... mess, where is everything?"

 

Ian

I disagree Ian, that is a very standard Canberra cockpit, nothing where you'd expect it and if it is it won't be there in the next one you fly :) if you don't believe me take a look through the cockpit albums on my site.

page one of cockpit albums

John 

Edited by canberra kid
added link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 71chally said:

You're right Bob, they are covers over the tank and engines fire warning and cancellation buttons.

Never occurred to me before but should really point these things out in case they get modelled!

 

And I was just trying to figure out how to model 1:72 scale tie-wraps!   :) 

 

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

 

Bill,

 

If you PM me with your email address, I can send you the original.

 

I was at RIAT Fairford looking at the PR9 - when I asked one of the crew if I could photograph the cockpit.

 

He hesitated for a moment, then said 'What the hell - it's going out of service, so no harm' - and proceded to let me climb up the cockpit ladder.

 

I took a few pics, then came down - and the pilot was talking to a high-ranking Indian AF guy - who also wanted to look in the cockpit.

 

The pilot asked him to wait a few moments - while he clambered up and removed the (potentially offensive) magazine!!

 

Ken

 

PS - I added a 'girly mag' to my Trumpeter Tu-22M2 model cockpit....... just a bit of whimsy...

 

....... and a bit of reading material for the Tu-160 crew while they use the facilities......

 

Great stuff, PM headed your way. Feel free to share any PR.9 photos you think would help! Cheers.

 

54 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Lovely stuff Bill, completely missed this, too busy playing with boats, I'm sure you'll work you're magic on it. I built the Airfix PR.9 as an early Bomber Command 58 squadron machine a while back...a few tubes of filler and a fair bit of modifying needed if I recall, the trench lines and camera bays were all over the place, and the gear needed work for it to sit properly....stil,l we overcame adversity thanks to John !

 

Don't worry a good friend of mine Nigel flew the B.2 and B.6 and he said exactly the same thing first time he sat in it, mind you saying that have you seen inside a Sea Vixen :doh: 

 

Yes, John will be (is) a godsend on this project. I feel sorry taking time away from his own B-57 build. Do you have a link to a WIP or RFI on your Airfix Cranberry build? I's love to copy see what you did.   :) 

 

48 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

I disagree Ian, that is a very standard Canberra cockpit, nothing where you'd expect it and if it is it won't be there in the next one you fly :) if you don't believe me take a look through the cockpit albums on my site.

page one of cockpit albums

 

I noticed that when I started trying to duplicate what I was seeing in photos. Most of them don't exactly match each other - so I figured a contest judge wouldn't know how many switches were on the console anyway...

 

I highly recommend going to John's website, there is A LOT of very useful reference material there. Take a look if you haven't already. 

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill I'm afraid I didn't do a WIP for this one but quite a few things are explained in the RFI, (bear in mind that this is an early PR.9)

 

Canberra PR.9, Bomber Command 1961

 

I'm sure John can answer most if not all questions but in case there's anything you need to know I'm only too happy to help out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2017 at 13:59, general melchett said:

Bill I'm afraid I didn't do a WIP for this one but quite a few things are explained in the RFI, (bear in mind that this is an early PR.9)

 

Canberra PR.9, Bomber Command 1961

 

I'm sure John can answer most if not all questions but in case there's anything you need to know I'm only too happy to help out...

 

Thanks, General, I remember that one now. I even posted a couple of comments in your thread! I've bookmarked it now so I don't lose track of it. Is there a fee for that?   :)

 

 

Today was wingy thingy day. I decided to have a go at those nice CMK resin flap pieces. These, unfortunately, are not a drop-in replacement. Which is OK, because the way they're designed the depth of the flap area (the section on the underside of the top wing surface) is maintained and doesn't look artificially shallow. When you place the parts in position, you can immediately a problem - the infamous Step of Indignation:

 

IMG_1100

 

Methinks these parts should be flush with the lower wing surface. The outboard part (is it called a "flap well"?) is not too bad, but the inner piece needs a bit of work. Nothing that some sanding sticks, a scalpel, and colourful vocabulary can't handle. After a fashion, you've essentially sanded off all of the detail that Airfix moulded into the upper wing. Here it is with the other wing for comparison:

 

IMG_1101

 

She looks a bit better now that the step has evaporated.

 

IMG_1102

 

And a look from the other side. You can see that CMK have provided quite a bit more detail than what was included with the kit.

 

IMG_1103

 

The outer flap will require the same treatment, even though the step isn't as bad. Here is the final result along with the CMK outer flap (with all the holes) still attached to its pour block. (Just realised that's the flap for the other wing!)

 

IMG_1104

 

Notice how much needs to be trimmed off the top wing surface along the trailing edge of the outer flap (the wing is upside down in this picture). This needs to be removed because that portion of the upper wing is part of the flap, and you can see it on the part with all the holes (note the line along the trailing edge - this is the edge of a slightly raised portion, and represents this sliver of the top wing). That small area on the flap will be painted in the top fuselage colour, which will be Hemp in the case of XH134 in her retirement scheme. 

 

The photos I have for XH134 don't show her with drop tanks, so I'll be skipping those. I think it's time to glue all those wing pieces together, along with the Pavla wheel well. I haven't shown it but there are a couple of sink holes on both the top and bottom wings. Luckily, they are not in the area of a panel line or the vortex generators and are therefore easy to clean up. 

 

Cheers for now,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for the Canberra SMEs:

 

I'm curious about what looks like a natural metal strip that runs down the middle of the wing from the root to the wingtip. What is this? Is it not painted for some reason? It looks like it goes right through the middle of the roundels. Is it on the bottom of the wings as well? OK, that's enough questions from the Canberra challenged Colonial for the time being.

 

The wings, wheel wells, and flap bays have been assembled. I forgot to add the small exhaust on the right side of the starboard nacelle, but I think I can still do it even though the wings are together. I'm currently scouring John's gallery of photos trying to find a close-up of this exhaust. Whatever I do on the starboard side, I'll also have to do on the port side to make sure they both look the same.

 

I also fixed the tail fin filet radius - it's  very easy fix and only took about five minutes. What a difference it makes though!

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bill

The metal strip is the main spar cap, the paint was removed in the late 80's to facilitate NDT of the spar on a more regular bases. 

I'll post up some photos of the vent today.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As John says, it became common practice on older jets in service to leave the spar top strip in bare metal for integrity testing puposes, Canberra and Hunters especially so.

 

Coming along nicely Bill!

This shot shows your flap trailing edge detail, note finger airbrakes deployed as well, this was for hyd testing and not common on the ground.

135j.jpg~original

Edited by 71chally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...