1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

Its going to be a favourite 'read again right from the start' build Bill

I've seen so much and learnt so much I think it'll be well worth a re-read just like any favourite story, so for me that's Moby Dick,  Cornwell's historical adventures, Ivanhoe and all my Terry Pratchetts

On the virtual bookshelf goes The End Of An Era to join my merry band

Its been a wonderful journey, joined part way in by the man wot did the real thing.

How often does that happen?

Marvellous cranberry, a real star

• Like 2

Insert my obligatory <awestruck and only capable of repeating my previous cliches> response to your wonderful work Bill. Struttin' structures and purposeful paint. Delicious Canberryness.

Tony

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Wonderful build! You have pretty much nailed the character of this aircraft.

Thanks - getting the character is good. I think that's more important in a model than absolute accuracy. 

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Admirable stuff.  

Thanks - does that make me an Admiral? Admiral Bill sounds so much better than Mr. Bill, don't you think?   :) 

22 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Do you need to do a new magazine cover each month?

I think one is enough! At my age, if you've seen one magazine cover you've seen them all!   :) 

12 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great result Bill, certainly looks the part. Looking at your opened nose reminds me that the navs lot couldn't have always been a happy one particularly on the long haul flights.... not much fun if you were anything over 5ft.

I agree! I can't imagine being locked up in there for the duration of a recce flight. It would be like several hours in an MRI tube. Arghhh. 

12 hours ago, perdu said:

I've seen so much and learnt so much I think it'll be well worth a re-read just like any favourite story, so for me that's Moby Dick,  Cornwell's historical adventures, Ivanhoe and all my Terry Pratchetts

Funny you should mention that, as I'm in the middle of reading Ivanhoe right now. Wonderful stuff - I had a nice hardcover copy of it when I was a lad but never got around to reading it. The Kindle version was free, so what the heck. I was reading Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur, but I had to take a break and delve into something with language closer to what I speak everyday. Don't want to fry my brain too badly, especially since I've just recovered from Molly Bloom's 90 page soliloquy in Ulysses. Ugh. 

The RFI thread is up. More pictures! Check it out here.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Ivanhoe - my Dad's favourite book and the reason for him naming me after his favourite character... luckily it was that book I suppose. Could have been worse. Just.

Off to the RFI :) 

• Like 1

Brilliant job Bill,..... that is one of the best Canberra models that I have ever seen,.....love the scheme too,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Ivanhoe - my Dad's favourite book and the reason for him naming me after his favourite character... luckily it was that book I suppose. Could have been worse. Just.

Off to the RFI :) 

I've read that the name Cedric comes from Sir Walter Scott misspelling the Saxon name Cerdic, or possibly deliberately inventing the name but basing it on Cerdic. Cerdic, I understand, was the founder of a kingdom in West Sussex. I wonder if all that is true - have you heard any of this?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Ah, Cerdic the Saxon! All true as far as I know.

I remember Dad telling me all this when I was little - well, not so little, actually (I was a 'chubby child') - as some form of consolation when I was teased about my name in the playground. All character building stuff.

It's common in our part of the world to shorten people's name as a sign of affection and 'Ced' became my usual form of address, unless I was in trouble when the full 'Cedric' was used as a warning... it still makes me nervous when people call me Cedric in case I've been caught out!

I've often wondered if, had Dad used the original form of the name, people would have called me 'Cer'? :D 

• Like 1