1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

Looking good Bill, coming together nicely,

You paint the throne itself, good grief, hemp or NMF ? or did she mean the throne room, if so camo or Barley, semi-matt or flat ?..........so many questions but it shows real dedication....

Yeah, silly Yanks like me think of the "loo" as the room, not the throne. Much like we consider the "toilet" to be the throne, and Europeans think of it as the room. I remember asking a nice barmaid in Zurich "Wo ist die Badezimmer?" only to have her ask me "Warum wollen Sie ein Bad nehmen?"

The subtleties of language. Just order another bier, bitte.

Cheers,

Bill 

PS. Medium Sea Grey, semi-matt. 

• Like 6

Looking brilliant, Bill. I've been holding off on building mine just wondering how to add a little more detail to the PR.9, and you've done a bang-up job.

• Like 1

PS. Medium Sea Grey, semi-matt. 

That's a relief, had visions of Dayglo, trainer yellow and black stripes....  She had a good point, a perfect example of why I stick to sign language and a great deal of shrugging and pointing when travelling foreign parts, usually saves any unfortunate faux-pas and subsequent hospital bills....

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I filled the panel line that ran down the middle of the tank, since as far as I can tell it wasn't there. The same goes for what seems like another spurious panel line that ran parallel to the rain channel on the starboard side. You can see that in this photo. I don't see this line in any photos or drawings.

You're right to fill them Bill, they are fictitious

John. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I did manage to sneak in some work in-between coats. First, I added some details to the forward fuel tank, this time using Tamiya tape. The edges of the tape were sealed with Future, and will of course will receive a few coats of paint as well. I've used this technique before and never had it come loose.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, nice technique, did you apply the Future with hairy stick or airbrush? 

Keep up the most excellent work, amongst much learning you've also inspired me to unpack my stalled B(I).8 to B.2 conversion :-)

Regards,

Darren

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darren Rhodes said:

Bill, nice technique, did you apply the Future with hairy stick or airbrush? 

Keep up the most excellent work, amongst much learning you've also inspired me to unpack my stalled B(I).8 to B.2 conversion :-)

Hairy stick - a 3/0 brush. And get that conversion going - we want to see it! If it comes out as good as your Sea Venom, Wyvern, and Sea Hawk, it will be a beauty!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. My 1:72 ICM MiG-25 is still sitting on my shelf of doom. I need to go look at your RFI again and get my mojo back for that one.

• Like 2

I just been watching the old girl on YouTube, the RAF 40th anniversary do. Sure looked good!

It's brilliant that all this archive stuff is up there and available. I couldn't help noticing the smooth, almost seamless finish.

But I can now spot loads of detail that would have passed me by previously. ( A bit like watching equestrian 3day eventing with the dressage section included!)

Also some clues as to what some of the extra bits in my airfix Martin box were intended for! I got more engine nacelles than you could shake a stick at....

• Like 2

On 2/28/2017 at 13:52, canberra kid said:

You're right to fill them Bill, they are fictitious

I don't know what to say. What a surprise!   :) 

On 2/28/2017 at 19:28, rob Lyttle said:

I couldn't help noticing the smooth, almost seamless finish.

Yup, no centimetre deep channels posing as panel lines in real life... most aircraft nowadays are like that (and quite a few in the "old" days). I had to chuckle a bit when I saw the panel lines on the new tool Meng F-102. I mean, panel lines? On an F-102? Where? I grew up near the ADC base with Daggers and Darts - I never saw any panel lines, certainly none that would ever show up in 1:72 scale. Them babies were smoooooooth! 

But I digress...

So I've been fooling around finishing up the household chores, and trying to get a few moments to make these wingtip modifications. I took some resin examples of British practice bombs (the little guys, not the half-ton concrete jobs), and cut off the domed section on the end. I think these came from the CMR Scimitar kit. Anyway, the domes were glued onto the fore and aft areas of the wingtips, and then I used PPP to fair them into the wing proper. It's close, but I don't think it's quite right just yet.

IMG_1151

Remember that the navigation lights will go on later. It's hard to see from the photo, but the front dome points roughly 45 degrees from the longitudinal axis, the rear dome a bit less. Part of the difficulty is that despite how large these sensors look in real life, they're quite small in 1:72 scale, and the wingtip is quite thin. I think a few more tries at fairing the sensors into the wingtip will get me where I want to be. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

Obviously we can't see all of the wingtips here on a monitor but I'm about to pop in a quiet don't do anything more to those sensors Bill

I get the feeling they are just where they need to be, a spot of paint will finish the sensors off nicely, the angles look perfect to me from here

Mind you, I think you are wrong about that gorgeous Delta Babe

I have had a look and I can see many (OK OK three) panel lines

one on each sweetly shiny wing where the flapperonerators sit and a similar one on the fin where the thing the driver rests his feet on is allowed to wobble a bit

Oh boy isn't she sweet, I love the sixties

Mostly because I know the music from then, none of this wib hop junk

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, perdu said:

I believe it's called rap, spelled with a silent "C"......

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 5

The C certainly ain't silent round Perdu Towers Ian

and the crap is rarely heard in these quarters

:)

Edited by perdu
I am told syntax is everything...
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Mind you, I think you are wrong about that gorgeous Delta Babe

I have had a look and I can see many (OK OK three) panel lines

one on each sweetly shiny wing where the flapperonerators sit and a similar one on the fin where the thing the driver rests his feet on is allowed to wobble a bit

Oh boy isn't she sweet, I love the sixties

Arr, ye be right matey, them lines be visible. But I don't classify control surface boundaries as panel lines!    :tease:

Isn't it amazing just how much fantastic popular music came from the 60s? That kind of innovation ain't happenin' today. 

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I believe it's called rap, spelled with a silent "C"......

Silent C it is! Truer words have never been spoken. Or written. Or posted, whatever it is that we're doing.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

The C certainly ain't silent round Perdu Towers Ian

and the crap is rarely heard in these quarters    :)

You sir, are a true connoisseur. Perdu Towers sounds a lot like Navy Birdland.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Too late on those sensors - I changed them already!   :) 

• Like 3

I've decided to do a "what if." As in, what if the scissor links on the main gear faced forward? You know, like what if an erk put the landing gear on backward? Argh.

Or maybe I should just fix it...Ich bin ein dummen Kopf.      :( 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Hamden said:

You know you won't be happy if you don't fix it!

All fixed. The gear doors would have to go on backwards too, and let me tell you a Canberra looks downright odd if the gear doors are on backwards.   :)

I was hoping to Hemp-ify the fuselage today, but I've just learnt that I have to go to a Christening. And I really don't even know these people, let alone their kids. They're some kind of relative I've been told. I guess they can't be that bad - they're Christening all three of their kids at the same time. I won't have to go back! Whenever I go to church, I have awful flashbacks about being an altar boy when I was young. I'm actually surprised that they even let me back in the building after what happened. It was an accident, I tell ya!     :devil:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

They're some kind of relative I've been told. 

I roared with laughter reading that for reasons I can't entirely fathom. Worthy of P.G.Wodehouse himself. Thanks for the chuckle Uncle Bill!:coolio:

Tony

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Oh dear, another relative

You're Britmodeller uncle, Bill, so plenty of relatives... :coolio:  :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Until they have another one....!!:D

Keith

Prescient - they announced at the Christening that they were expecting another this fall...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Working on the windscreen, and getting its bottom curvature to match the fuselage. It was pretty close, but not perfect. I had to sand more than I would have liked from the Pavla instrument panel coaming in order to get the windscreen to set down over it, but you do what you have to do. I think it's about time to mask the windscreen and get it mounted on the fuselage in anticipation of paint. About time! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Navy Bird said:

Prescient - they announced at the Christening that they were expecting another this fall...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Working on the windscreen, and getting its bottom curvature to match the fuselage. It was pretty close, but not perfect. I had to sand more than I would have liked from the Pavla instrument panel coaming in order to get the windscreen to set down over it, but you do what you have to do. I think it's about time to mask the windscreen and get it mounted on the fuselage in anticipation of paint. About time! 

Good work Bill!

John

Ah, I just realised there are two strakes that run alongside the round camera aperture or light that's on the underside at the rear of the bomb bay. I need to add those too!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Bill, have a look back over the pics I've posted, there is a good close up of that area.

There are strakes either side of the aft camera aperture, the one that appears as a black square cut out.

There aren't any around the large round aperture that is just aft of the bombay, there are two shallow small ones just ahead of it, next to the the strobe light and IFF sharks fin.

Edited by 71chally

The strakes in question can be seen in this close-up section of a very nice high-res photo that @71chally provided. They run along both sides of the square camera aperture.

tail bumper

Trying to cut these out of styrene in their final 1:72 scale size and shape is a bit crazy, mainly because the pieces are so small and a bit difficult to hold, so I figured I would glue the raw material in place, and then make the final shape. I made some small strips of 0.010" styrene, and glued them in place on the fuselage:

IMG_1154

Once the glue had cured, and things were nice and secure, I then sanded them into shape.

IMG_1157

They are thickest in the center, and taper off to blend with the fuselage on each end. Close enough for me! Nobody ever looks underneath my models once they're stuck in a box and stacked in the closet anyway. 

The front of the engine nacelles pose some challenges for painting. The demarcation line for the camouflage continues on the inside of the nacelle cowlings, but portions of the engine face protrude into that area. Masking around those features of the engine face would be, well, interesting. What I've decided to do is to lightly tack the cowlings in place while painting, and then remove them afterwards to install the engine face. I don't want any paint to get inside the nacelle proper, so it's necessary to block off the opening in the cowling, which I did by tacking the engine face in backwards. Sometimes it pays to be deranged. This plan might even work!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10