1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

4 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Wish there was a way to download an entire thread and turn it into a Word doc or PDF.  The info in this thread is just too good to lose and, sadly, photos do tend to disappear from online stores over time.

You can 'copy and paste' forum posts and whole threads to a Word document, that way saves the pictures for good as well.

With the superb modelling, and tech info, this is a good example to do it with.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, 71chally said:

You can 'copy and paste' forum posts and whole threads to a Word document, that way saves the pictures for good as well.

With the superb modelling, and tech info, this is a good example to do it with.

Yeah...familiar with the copy-paste approach.  I just came to this thread late and the thought of copying and editing 22 pages of info fills me with a little dread...or perhaps I'm just being lazy! :)  Either way, a single-click export function would (IMHO) be a really useful feature.

Now...back to the more interesting topic of Cranberries. :)

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2017 at 15:15, mhaselden said:

I just came to this thread late...

On 3/31/2017 at 15:23, AdrianMF said:

I haven't been following the thread but a catch-up is in order!

Welcome to the Club! Or asylum, take your pick!   :)

Now, somebody with the initials of @Flankerman wants me to put a girlie magazine on the pilot's seat. I searched for Zoo covers, found a nice one (a real nice one, actually) and printed it out in A4 size at 1:72 scale. It's 3mm wide. With a magnifier, you can read "Zoo" and identify what gender is on the cover. But I think it's going to be lost on most folks...

IMG_1205

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 16

What do you guys think about the stance now that the tyres and wheels are on? If you recall, I shortened both the nose and main gear legs.

IMG_1207

I ended up using the kit mainwheels, and not the super-nice resin wheels from SBS (which were too big in diameter). The demarcation between the tyre and the wheel rim on the kit mainwheels is major stinky! There is hardly a demarcation at all. Like maybe the mould was worn out when it was brand new. Jeezz. 

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Took my SUV to the shop today because the "check engine" light came on. It seems I need a new timing chain and camshaft adjusters. I think the light should have said "congratulations, now go take out a second mortgage." 

• Like 17

Looking very nice Bill, stance seems just right (as with everything you do!), especially looking back at the image you posted by @Flankerman here:

Sorry to hear about your car, as you intimate timing chains are bloody expensive to replace.  

Regards,

Darren

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Yeah...familiar with the copy-paste approach.  I just came to this thread late and the thought of copying and editing 22 pages of info fills me with a little dread...or perhaps I'm just being lazy! :)  Either way, a single-click export function would (IMHO) be a really useful feature.

Now...back to the more interesting topic of Cranberries. :)

The downside to not Copying and pasting is that sometimes it disappears, A recent case in point was  Deb's (Ascoteer) build of a HS Dominie T1, which I did want, but didn't do that.

I agree it would be better if there was a quick way, but not yet available that I know, but then I'm a bit of a computer luddite

• Like 1

That magazine? Brilliant. :)

I understand Tony is about to respond with an air load handler on the lavvy...

Happy days

Not so happy about the engine check light though, but far better to be fixed and guaranteed than timing chain and broken valves on your own cognisance

Maybe better start a miniature magazine publishing business, you've a head start on the opposition

The Canberra is a delight to the eye now

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

What do you guys think about the stance now that the tyres and wheels are on? If you recall, I shortened both the nose and main gear legs.

IMG_1207.jpg

I ended up using the kit mainwheels, and not the super-nice resin wheels from SBS (which were too big in diameter). The demarcation between the tyre and the wheel rim on the kit mainwheels is major stinky! There is hardly a demarcation at all. Like maybe the mould was worn out when it was brand new. Jeezz. 

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Took my SUV to the shop today because the "check engine" light came on. It seems I need a new timing chain and camshaft adjusters. I think the light should have said "congratulations, now go take out a second mortgage." 

It looks good to me Bill. The wheel rim's have always been rubbish on the new lot. The old big wheel in the Airfix B.(I)6 were much better in that respect. 

John

• Like 2

The Canberra stance looks just so to me Bill!

As you can see, there aren't many upsides to the Airfix Canberra molding (easier starting with a vacform?!), but you have proved that you can make it look really good with effort.

• Like 3

Fascinating build thus far and very educational, all I need is my grey shorts and cap and I will be fully kitted out for learning.

I find when I build I always miss details, you guys do have an eye for detail which is helped no doubt by your time spent crawling around them in your yoof. 

Keep it up guys, cap and shorts duly donned.

Gary.

• Like 1

Timing chain jobs aren't cheap because of the man-hours they take, especially on modern V engines with dual overhead cams and whatnot.

I did the chains and tensioners on a Cadillac SRX last fall; it called for twelve man-hours to complete that job...... And that's how long the bloody thing took me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SmashedGlass said:

Timing chain jobs aren't cheap because of the man-hours they take, especially on modern V engines with dual overhead cams and whatnot.

I did the chains and tensioners on a Cadillac SRX last fall; it called for twelve man-hours to complete that job...... And that's how long the bloody thing took me.

Huh - my car is a Cadillac SRX too. I wonder if there is a wider problem - time for a class-action lawsuit!   :)  I am a Yank after all. 

Luckily, the mechanic said the engine doesn't have to come out (which was my initial fear) but he needs to get access to the front. So I suspect maybe the radiator and all that other lovely stuff behind the grill needs to be removed? How did you manage that on yours? 

Extra luckily, I have a mechanical breakdown warranty that expires on April 17 - usually they break down after the coverage expires. I should only have to pay a $250 deductible. I had to fax all my oil change receipts to the insurance company - I always keep all service receipts right in the glove compartment. 

12 hours ago, Screech said:

Think you might have this done in time for BUFFCon next week?  Sure would be nice to see it in person!

Buffcon is next week? Huh. Forgot all about it. Sure, I suppose it could be ready.

Now for my next question - Pavla supply a half round part that looks like a roll bar, and have you install it right behind the pilot's seat. However, the photos that I have seem to show that this is actually part of the canopy. Am I right in this thinking?

Cheers,

Bill

What a coincidence, Bill. Yes, the 3.6L in the Caddies is prone to wearing out the chain guides, introducing slack in the chains and then an error from the cam and crank sensors. And there are actually three chains, so several chain guides and tensioners. All that gets replaced for the job.

Radiator doesn't have to come out though it makes the job much easier, but..... Intake manifold, both valve covers, water pump, all the ancillary items on the front cover, then the front cover itself. It's a tedious and time consuming job.

At least it isn't a CTS..... to change headlight bulbs on one of those, the front bumper cover has to come off :D

Edited by SmashedGlass
  • Like 1

The Canberra looks like it's sitting pretty to me too.

Good call on the car warranty!

Whatever happened to the old 'It's good for at least 100,000 miles' Caddy advertising claims?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Good call on the car warranty!

Whatever happened to the old 'It's good for at least 100,000 miles' Caddy advertising claims?

It has more miles than that, so I guess their claim is still OK. She's a 2010 model year.

2 minutes ago, SmashedGlass said:

Bill, this is what the your Cadillac will look like by the time the chains can be accessed 

Yikes!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Now for my next question - Pavla supply a half round part that looks like a roll bar, and have you install it right behind the pilot's seat. However, the photos that I have seem to show that this is actually part of the canopy. Am I right in this thinking?

Cheers,

Bill

Does this help clear it up atal Bill?

DSCN0864_zpso5cycb3g.jpg

John

On 4/2/2017 at 15:47, canberra kid said:

Does this help clear it up atal Bill?

John

Not quite, this is the "roll bar" part that Pavla would have you attach to the top of the fuselage right behind the pilot's seat:

roll%20bar

It sure looks like it's part of the canopy frame , so that's where I put it!   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5