A-10, 1/48, Tamiya - Fiiiinnnnniiiished!!!!!!! :)

4 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Any more thoughts guys? I know theyre not looking great, so dont hold back, Im a big boy. :)

Yep, they look awful! 

Wait - Just messing  :laugh:   Not sure what you can see but like I said before, they look great from here :)  I do prefer the first ones though ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wimbledon99 said:

Yep, they look awful! 

Wait - Just messing  :laugh:   Not sure what you can see but like I said before, they look great from here :)  I do prefer the first ones though ;) 

Cheers! :)

Yep, its reverted back to the first ones on both sides again. Will have a go at the rears again tomorrow, see if I can get closer to the photos with those, if not - hey, I dont park aircraft facing away from me in the cabinet, so its not a massive issue to me at that end.

Trying to find a nice 81st TFW emblem in grey to print onto some clear decal paper for the covers, but can only find it in colour and only have MS Paint on this PC, Photobuckets editing stuff isnt clever either. Meh, Ill find something or just bin that idea. :)

Regards RBF tags. How do you guys go about fitting them?
I have read that people drill holes and use fuse wire (5A seems popular) but how to go about drilling the holes? Are you using a dremel (sounds frightening for small parts) or doing it by hand and if so what do you use?

Its the 1/48 Eduard PE tags I have a stash of by the way, will 5A wire fit through their little holes ok?

Edited by RMP2

I have a couple of pin vices - one is 'threaded' for a semi-automatic action. They can be picked up on line for a couple of quid. I also use a Dremel but only for bigger holes and once I've used the pin vice to drill a pilot hole.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wimbledon99 said:

I have a couple of pin vices - one is 'threaded' for a semi-automatic action. They can be picked up on line for a couple of quid. I also use a Dremel but only for bigger holes and once I've used the pin vice to drill a pilot hole.

Ah, the spring loaded twist-o-matic type pin vice? Id forgotten all about those, all I have is a set of solid type vices. Cheers.

• Like 1

I think the covers look great.  Funnily enough I have just been messing about with some kitchen foil to see if I can make Phantom intake covers as most pictures seem to have the 'tarp' covers rather than the metal FOD covers.  It came to nothing incidentally.  

More luck with my blutac parachute for the tail cone though. :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

I think the covers look great.  Funnily enough I have just been messing about with some kitchen foil to see if I can make Phantom intake covers as most pictures seem to have the 'tarp' covers rather than the metal FOD covers.  It came to nothing incidentally.  

Cheers, they will have to do I think.

I played with foil for the exhaust covers, but found it a real pain to work with. Im pretty sure there are some solid covers for FGRs out there, but not sure if they were in use in the 70s...

6 minutes ago, At Sea said:

I've got the solid covers from the Big-Ed set but they look tricky...

Tricky indeed them PE ones. I managed one and then my will to live was very nearly broken.

Are they correct for an RAF Phantom though?

6 hours ago, At Sea said:

Wait.... what...??

Well the open tail cone that the etch allows is the parachute stowage, so I guess at some point this is repacked and refitted before the tail cone gets closed.  

I figured a blu-tack hot cross bun with a little paint will look better than a hole.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

£7.50 for a pair of tiny resin seats that I only require one of... it is done.

Sorry for the lack of "stuff", life things been going on. But new job is now sorted so Id best get moving with this or itll never be done (like some others, before anyone says it!).

I definitely didnt buy another (my 6th) Jaguar by accident too, oh no, not me, I wouldnt.... not on purpose anyway. :)

Camo masking and colour trials hopefully happening over the weekend. Theres cockpit work still to do too and Ive found some pastels from many, many years back that Id like to try out here n there. Best get some good red wine in and have a session on the Hawg.

Ive made a start with the undercarriage - Future dipped and washed, something I still need to practice.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 5

Not much to see for a bit, but hope it comes good.
A quick dry fit of the gear shows theres plenty of weight in the nose though and the gear doesnt seem to mind it. So far, so good.

• Like 1

Slight update.

Using photos and paint destructions I found that the Tamiya panel lines are pretty bloomin accurate in places and this has helped no end in making up some templates for paint masks to transfer onto tape. Only bothered doing them for one side of the aircraft in the hope that flipping them over will help with some sort of symmetry. I tested a couple and they seemed to work.

Process was pencil dots on the kit, decal "tracing paper" placed over and copied the dots, tracing paper then laid on post-it notes and the dots worn through with a sharp pencil. Join the dots on the post-it, cut out, use as stencil onto masking tape.

Sounds worse than it is really, and heres what I hope will work from a hung over afternoons session of tinkering and breaking bits off accidentally. Doh.

P1110859%20Large.jpg

P1110857%20Large.jpg

P1110860%20Large.jpg

P1110861%20Large.jpg

Yes, the engine pylon section bit let go from the more forward fuselage as you can see. Quite amazed by that as I thought I had hammered it with TET and more, must have missed that end. Or maybe the 4.65 tonnes of nose weight took its toll while holding it by the engines...

Doesnt look much, agreed, but Im hoping it will make things much easier and prettier in the end. False canopy also done, forgot to add to photo.

Pylons 2 and 10 will now be removed as per "fighting spec" for improved aero and handling. This is due to the PE set not including quite enough anti-sway pylon bits to do them all. Not that the PE bits are the best representation of such things ever known, but theyre better than nothing. Might lose the fuselage centreline pylon too (if it will come off) - its only good for a ferry tank and theres many photos of A-10s out there without them fitted.

Seat is on its way. :)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 6

Not the best photos, but you get the idea.

P1110871%20Large.jpg

P1110872%20Large.jpg

I need to get this finished asap really. Starting a new job a week on monday working away from home all week, likely a fair few weekends too. Sadly this could spell disaster for the stash. :(

• Like 2

Spot the difference! :o

Best of luck with the new job. Is there a chance you can put together a travelling tool-kit for some modelling time while you're away from home?

• Like 1

A light coat of primer has really brought the seat detail out. First time Ive used a resin seat - bit nice arent they.

Work wise I guess I could take sub assemblies away with me rather than the whole lot, that way its just a few paints and bits n bobs, leaving the aircraft itself at home for the weekend. See how it all works out, but anything to keep me out of the bar and blowing my wages is good - Playstation is already packed. :)

Should get a bit done on this at the weekend, would be great if it was finally ready for paint by sunday dinner time.

• Like 2