A-10, 1/48, Tamiya - Fiiiinnnnniiiished!!!!!!! :)

Did some bangy bits stuff. Cluster bombs from Hasegawas weapon set look reasonable enough I guess, not much to em. AGM-65s are, I think, from Kinetic - not certain as they were gifted to me via BM a while back and I forget. As such I wont complain about the flash, poor fit and general wobbles etc as theyre nicely detailed, just need a little more work as you can probably see.

A-10 got a seam test dusting of white primer - by eck it shows up every shadow of every tiny lip! Seam looks good though, pleased with that seeing as no filler has been used. Yet.

P1110589%20Large.jpg

P1110590%20Large.jpg

P1110592%20Large.jpg

This rate of progression is frightening me!!

• Like 7

Theres time yet for it all to go wrong!

Aye, standard A-10 stuff - single units of boom direct to pylons. Although the TERs were/are very common fit too on the inner wing pylons.
Talking of pylons - dont think I will delete 2 and 10 afterall, fair bit of filling to do that, easier to just forget it... maybe.

4 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Looks even better with primer on - Can't wait for the paint! :) 

Cheers, Im really pleased with it so far. But... theres work to be done, the primer reveals all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Yep, Humbrol enamels will be used for sure both with a stick and through the windy gun. Possibly some acrylic too, depends how the colour turns out (for the darker grey of the camo).

To be honest I found little difference with the acrylic compared to enamels - just thinned it til it went through the airbrush nicely. I dont have much experience of acrylics, maybe theyre like enamels in that some work better than others? Dunno, but as a rule of thumb I thin the enamels to a "milky" consistency and blow em out at anything from 20 to 30+ psi depending on what Im doing/how well theyre playing ball.

Do you thin them with enamel thinners or something like cellulose thinners, ive had trouble with just about all acrylics to some  degree whith thinning ,ie thier own thinners per brand ,pigment size ,or plastic type finish leaving you unable to touch it with sand paper or sanding sticks, tried loads and always return to tamiya,

Never had any bother with enamels and turps with the hairy stick,

A little sanding done, but found that my filler has gone off... buttocks. So I decided to play with it for a little while, making whining engine noises and BRRRRRTing at the bemused dogs. :)

But theres plenty to be getting on with til I nip out later for filler supplies.

I might have mentioned this before, but the A-10 is not a small aircraft, at all. Su-25 and Su-30 for comparison -

P1110596%20Large.jpg

P1110597%20Large.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RMP2 said:

... So I decided to play with it for a little while, making whining engine noises and BRRRRRTing at the bemused dogs. :)

:lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

LOL!

B&Q dont do Milliput. Its all I had to hand. That and a cutoff of Eduard Brassin plastic packaging as an applicator seems to have worked out well, not that I needed much of it at all.
Will see how it sands down tomorrow.... :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bodmin said:

How does that polyfiller work out? Wouldnt surprise me if it was quite good. I have often thught of using decorator chalk on occasion.

It went on ok. Quite how it sands and behaves I guess Ill find out over the weekend. But surely filler is filler, to a point? That and Ive not needed much with this, so Im prepared to take a chance as remedial work wont be much hassle if it all goes Pete Tong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

I would have thought that Polyfilla and Caulk were too 'grainy'. Hope I'm wrong though. Would love to see this work out :)

For how much Ive used its little bother if its not right to be honest. I was careful to use as little as possible, just in case, but the overall fit is typical Tamiya and where filler was needed was thoroughly worked first to keep the filler work to a minimum.

See what tomorrow brings, darent touch it now, its Friday night and beer might have happened... Cheers! :)

• Like 1

Hi RMP2,

You're not going to have much to worry about in matching those colors - Superdesothane (MASK-10A) changed colors with altitude and ambient light.  The lighter color could look like Sky Type S, or like a very pale gray; the upper surfaces could appear fairly blue.  The original production scheme was assymetrical, but those aircraft were never assigned to the UK.  Both versions of the scheme could chalk up fairly quickly but, as noted, the scheme was easily detected by aggressors in DACT.  The Lizard (1980s) was pretty good when seen from above, or when seen from below at higher altitudes, but once air supremacy was reached the MASK-10 scheme was revived using regular gunship quality FS paints.

That head-on shot was actually one of the spotted JAWS-scheme aircraft - it's been a while, and I can't remember which serial number.

The shot of 31668 shows one of my favorite schemes, and I'd love to try to model it one day.  The entire aircraft was painted black, then varying thicknesses of white Superdesothane were applied in an assymetrical pattern.  As the white wore away, the aircraft became darker, especially along leading edges, and the uneven spray pattern gave an unusual mottled effect.  The scheme was for test purposes only, evaluating the paint and the pattern.  The aircraft was later marked with International Orange wing tips and rudders.  (31669 was similarly painted, but with a symmetrical pattern.

Anyhow, see if you can borrow a copy of my old Detail and Scale colors book on the A-10.  It's long out of print, but there are plenty of used copies about.  (Please, just don't download it from one of those miserable "free" book sites - it's hard enough making a living as an author without those guys giving away what isn't theirs!)

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2

Hi Dana, many thanks for that, much appreciated. Did you work on the aircraft or have you researched the info?

Yes, going by photos the colours and wear/fade vary a lot it seems.

Youre absolutely right re the head on shot, it is a spotted JAWS aircraft, I dont think I have info re the serial either but will double check.

That photo of 31668 is indeed lovely, but a bit beyond my skills unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Anyhow, see if you can borrow a copy of my old Detail and Scale colors book on the A-10.  It's long out of print, but there are plenty of used copies about.  (Please, just don't download it from one of those miserable "free" book sites - it's hard enough making a living as an author without those guys giving away what isn't theirs!)

No shortage of your book (new and used) on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/10-Warthog-detail-scale-Vol/dp/0830680306

Brilliant stuff, thanks very much! :)

Polyfilla seems to have done the job. It sands very easily, just need to watch out for edges - needs a quite fine grade of paper/sanding stick to feather in nicely. Its certainly easier than that delightful Revell Plasto filler...

Undercarriage is painted up as are the wells, Mavericks and Rockeyes. Its all drying off at the moment, hoping to get the last bits stuck to the plane later and the cockpit painted up and then move on to masking the turbine faces and.... start thinking about painting the big (and heavy) bugger! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bodmin said:

The real test will be how it takes your paint

Well, the primer went over it ok so Im hoping its all cool.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Hi Dana, many thanks for that, much appreciated. Did you work on the aircraft or have you researched the info?

Hi RMP2,

No, I never worked on the A-10.  I was researcher at the USAF Still Photo Depository in 1976 (those were the days!) when the great Jack Morris did a slide show on all the mysterious new color schemes being worn on A-10s.  (At one point, each new A-10 had a completely different scheme.)  Back at the depository, I had access to all the new photos as they came in.  I also had contact with Theron Rinehart, the Fairchild-Republic historian, who was able to provide the factory drawings for each of the scheme, and the folks at the A-10 Special Project Office, who were able to secure some much-needed detail photos.  It was all just being at the right place at the right time.

For the Colors and Markings book, I collected for five more years.  My wife and I drove for 2-1/2 days to Louisiana in July in a car with no air conditioner (I still sweat just thinking about it) to get the cover shots of Flipper and Peanut.  In the end, publishing problems meant the book didn't earn back the cost of the cover photo - but it was still worth it!  I've still got a soft spot for the A-10...

Good luck with the build - looks like it's going to be fun!

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

My wife and I drove for 2-1/2 days to Louisiana in July in a car with no air conditioner (I still sweat just thinking about it) to get the cover shots of Flipper and Peanut.  In the end, publishing problems meant the book didn't earn back the cost of the cover photo - but it was still worth it!  I've still got a soft spot for the A-10...

I feel your pain - did both directions of the Nullarbor with no A/C... it was a little warm. Rigged up soaking wet beach towels in front of open rear windows for the return run - it works! :)

Thanks again for the info, dont suppose you know anything of the disagreements re the fake canopy painted on the underside do you?

Not much of an update, I forgot how slow brush painting is... but all bits bar the undercarriage, ladders & door and weapons are glued to the main lump now.

P1110603%20Large.jpg

Managed to mask the main canopy ok with Tamiya tape, but the frame on the windscreen is moulded quite lightly and difficult to guide a blade nicely against it - might have to pay for pre-cuts... will tray again tomorrow as Im sick of paying for extra bits.

Also seen many photos of empty TERs under either the inboar wing pylons or outboard fuselage pylons and I quite like it. But I also like Rockeye cluster bombs (the look of them I mean)... cant decide. Also unsure about the ALQ pod as they seemed to be a rarity, carriage wise at least, in the early days... dunno... but will paint n sticker all options up and trial fit - its the only way to be sure!

P1110601%20Large.jpg

• Like 5