A-10, 1/48, Tamiya - Fiiiinnnnniiiished!!!!!!! :)

Right. Thats it decided. Im going with Tamyas A-10 in 48th and the grey colours (MASK-10A I think they called it, no FS numbers assigned apparently, so its best guess).

Almost OOB this one, just some nicer Mavericks to use, Hasegawa Rockeyes look pretty much identical to the kit bits, but see how they go. Load will be a simple and realistic one with the ALQ-119 a pair of single rail AGM-65s (1xTV and 1xIIR) and a pair or two of Mk20s, but that may change as I keep searching for photos.

Ive read that they performed better with pylons 2 and 10 removed and were often used that way in Iraq/Gulf, so I think Id be safe in leaving them off for this too as its a combat configuration, so they say, and looks that little bit different which I like.
Decals are a bit pants and many should be in grey rather than black, so thatll need sorting along with deciding on Humbrol enamels to throw at it. Any advice re these would be most excellent.

Intake covers have been considered, but see how it works out.

How hard can it be?

P1110486%20Large.jpg

P1110488%20Large.jpg

P1110487%20Large.jpg

1979.jpg

1979%20A-10%20Thunderbolt%20Bentwaters%2

Ghost Greys? Compass Greys? I know next to nothing about US colours!! Thats my first plea for help!! :D

Why an A-10..? Well........

fairchild-a-10-jaws-tiefflug-4.jpg.52812

And with stations 2 and 10 removed -

1017657%202_1.jpg

Good luck everyone!

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 12

Never knew there were grey A-10s going about Europe during the 70's but guess that's because the green scheme is ingrained into my personal perception of the aircraft during that era.

From what I can gather - there were a few schemes of grey tried out first in the assumption that the major threat the A-10s would face (most likely in Europe) would be ground fire. However, exercises proved the grey far too obvious to aircraft, so they switched to the Lizard Green that we know so well. This was all between 1976 and 79, so the text said anyway.

Funny then how these days theyre back to the grey scheme. Its as if the major threats out there dont even have an airforce to be concerned about in an obviously non-politically motivated kind of tone. but seriously - that did just dawn on me and its a bit sad really.

So just to be straight - mine is the grey scheme when it was cool, before it got sad. ;)

• Like 1

Great to see an A10 in the GB I saw these in 1989 while on exercise in Germany doing low flying and mock attack's,isn't the Tamiya kit a

re-box of Monogram's mold's? Look forward to this one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great to see an A10 in the GB I saw these in 1989 while on exercise in Germany doing low flying and mock attack's,isn't the Tamiya kit a

re-box of Monogram's mold's? Look forward to this one.

I dont think so, but could be wrong.

The Tamiya kit gets slated for accuracy issues, but I dont care. It looks like an A-10 and supposedly has the best fit. I guess we shall see.

Growing up near Donna Nook meant I watched them on a very regular basis doing gun and bomb runs - I know that BRRRRT noise very well! :) But I missed them for years after they went back to the US. Then, just last year in the Lake District on a right nice number for work I heard a whining sound and looked up... nothing. looked around... nothing. looked down and there was a pair of them mincing about through the valley. Not sure if they spotted us or not, but they came back 15mins later straight over us at what can only be called "rather bloody low". Goosebumped in the way that only the Vulcan can do too.

Yes, I do like the old Hawg quite a lot. :)

Oh, we can start now cant we? Not sure its best here though - hangover is being treated with medicinal beer right now.... Ah, what could go wrong? Wheres that box...?

• Like 2

Looks like a good candidate!  I have some Hasegawa weapon sets with some US stuff I'll never use in them if you want some ordnance.

The A10 is like something out of an alternative universe. Utterly bonkers & very effective.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, At Sea said:

Looks like a good candidate!  I have some Hasegawa weapon sets with some US stuff I'll never use in them if you want some ordnance.

The A10 is like something out of an alternative universe. Utterly bonkers & very effective.  

Thanks very much for the offer, but I think Im covered, will give you a shout if anything changes/goes wrong.

See, maybe its because I saw so much of them, but they look perfectly normal to me - remind me of home and the wind on the beach in front of the range.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:31 PM, Col. said:

Never knew there were grey A-10s going about Europe during the 70's but guess that's because the green scheme is ingrained into my personal perception of the aircraft during that era.

The originals at Bentwaters came in grey.

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/81tfw/Timeline

6026987494_59f617060d_b.jpg

6026987860_f0d86460d4_b.jpg

enjoyed building my Tamiya!

88F31474-B0C9-41CC-9BA7-4DE6965F678F_zps

Good luck - will be following along!

• Like 2

On 02/02/2017 at 19:12, RMP2 said:

Right. Thats it decided. Im going with Tamyas A-10 in 48th and the grey colours (MASK-10A I think they called it, no FS numbers assigned apparently, so its best guess).

Almost OOB this one, just some nicer Mavericks to use, Hasegawa Rockeyes look pretty much identical to the kit bits, but see how they go. Load will be a simple and realistic one with the ALQ-119 a pair of single rail AGM-65s (1xTV and 1xIIR) and a pair or two of Mk20s, but that may change as I keep searching for photos.

Ive read that they performed better with pylons 2 and 10 removed and were often used that way in Iraq/Gulf, so I think Id be safe in leaving them off for this too as its a combat configuration, so they say, and looks that little bit different which I like.
Decals are a bit pants and many should be in grey rather than black, so thatll need sorting along with deciding on Humbrol enamels to throw at it. Any advice re these would be most excellent.

Intake covers have been considered, but see how it works out.

How hard can it be?

Ghost Greys? Compass Greys? I know next to nothing about US colours!! Thats my first plea for help!! :D

Why an A-10..? Well........

And with stations 2 and 10 removed -

Good luck everyone!

This may help colours wise?

a-10_profile2.jpg

some colour guides, paint ideas here:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-10/a-10_profile02.shtml

• Like 1

Had a look and whilst I think the early photos I posted are the same pattern as the paint guide above, I think the guide is showing a more recent change to darker greys. Take a look at the pic above thats obviously recent and with the two pylons removed... looks to be darker greys than the 1979 pics. Now i know its hard to trust photos and the film used, but thats looking like a light LAG or something on the lower bits. Sure, theyre a bit faded, but seems extreme to me...?

Any thoughts? Or maybe just lob some white in and get on with it? :)

I missed your photos, Tim, sorry man.

Thanks for those, they too show how light the lighter grey is back then compared to now... so, I currently have in front of me - Humbrol 166 LAG, Revell 76 Light Grey and Humbrol EDSG 123 for the fake canopy on the underside. Will have a test of those and some others and see how they are in the real world.

Nice A-10 by the way, Tim. Good to see a sensible load on one. No really trouble other than fiddling the engine to fuselage fit I assume/hope?

Edited by RMP2
Words just disappeared
  • Like 1

Some more digging done.

1978/79 aircraft would have only have had AGM-65A and B versions of the Maverick available to them, the C etc coming later. (Both A&B are TV guided, but B has an optical zoom). These would have been painted white.
Made a start on what I suspect are Kinetic Mavericks and as well detailed as they are, theres a lot of flash and some fit issues. Im bored of paying for resin, so will stick with them for a bit or maybe end up leaving the A-10 clean, will see.

Regards the paint colours for the camo... Ive noticed the early version demarcation kinks up on the fuselage slightly further back than the more modern scheme - help with reference pics for the colour.

World Air Power Journal has the colours listed as 30% & 50% MASK10-A... great, so whats that mean then? Well...

a10fals.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. Got it from here - http://www.afwing.com/intro/usmodern_scheme2.htm Theres a load more nice schemes and paint info on that site, including oddball and early schemes, worth a look.

Still want to try out some paint I already have before buying just for this - I may have a cunning plan....

Oh, fuselage, wings and tail went together tonight - cockpit slots in from below, so thats a nice KUTA to get it started. :)

Cluster bombs also got stuck together, 6 of em for now.

Pics when pegs etc are off. No dramas so far with the kit bits, just a little tidying. The tail bits fitted together especially well, fingers crossed it continues that way.

Well, the bench is a state, didnt get at all cleared, several bits of several things awaiting completion laying around... but whats that in the corner..?

P1110528%20Large.jpg

P1110529%20Large.jpg

P1110532%20Large.jpg

Managed to get some Klear on it already! :)

P1110585%20Large.jpg

Once that lower seam is glued (needs the Klear weight to close it up and save a step) then its on to the wing sponsony bits, which I predict will require breaking out the filler, finally. Shame really as the rest is a typical Tamiya fit, even the dry fitting of the lower nose section looked really good.

Going for a white Primer for this one seeing as the colour scheme is quite light and I like to go with simple pre-shading bits. See how that works out.

Enjoying this one so far, its going together a bit like Hasegawas 1/48 Starfighters - no real drama, nice simple sub assemblies and not too many parts. Got quite high hopes for this one and most importantly - enthusiasm!

• Like 3

After Hasegawas Navy Phantom decals disaster along with Kitty Hawks and Airfixs Jaguar fights its nice to mess with something that just works. The afore mentioned F-104s are in reserve for such things, but I may find another of these Tamiya A-10s coming my way if this (mostly) carries on.

The Hawk/Harrier/Hunter are purely a shelf space test. I promise...

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 1:55 PM, RMP2 said:

I missed your photos, Tim, sorry man.

Thanks for those, they too show how light the lighter grey is back then compared to now... so, I currently have in front of me - Humbrol 166 LAG, Revell 76 Light Grey and Humbrol EDSG 123 for the fake canopy on the underside. Will have a test of those and some others and see how they are in the real world.

Nice A-10 by the way, Tim. Good to see a sensible load on one. No really trouble other than fiddling the engine to fuselage fit I assume/hope?

No, it went together fairly well, few seams to sort but I thought it was ok considering. Yes was sensible with the weapons, lots of good stuff out there to look at as references.  If I remember my thread was quite detailed.

Have you thought about priming in black, doing a bit of black basing mottling etc before thin misting coats - works well on lighter greys and gives lots of tonal variation.

https://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/technique-black-basing/

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

No, it went together fairly well, few seams to sort but I thought it was ok considering. Yes was sensible with the weapons, lots of good stuff out there to look at as references.  If I remember my thread was quite detailed.

Have you thought about priming in black, doing a bit of black basing mottling etc before thin misting coats - works well on lighter greys and gives lots of tonal variation.

https://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/technique-black-basing/

Goodstuff, Tim, Ive been finding similar with the fit all round.

I have stacks of reference info here and perhaps as much in my head when it comes to A-10s. :)

Re the black primer - I usually do the reverse and go a bit lighter than the main colour and then use some lighter and darker patches to mottle areas and bring out the odd panel line etc through the top coat. Its the first time Ill have used white as a primer rather than grey on an aircraft, so will see how it goes, will bare in mind the black option though especially if I make a mess of this!

Can you tell what it is yet?

P1110587%20Large.jpg

Got a bit carried away with the glue... no paints have been touched yet which is all backwards for me as a rule, so some slightly careful brush stuff to do, but meh... he who dares, Rodney he who dares...

The thinking behind getting it all nailed together was so that I got the nose weight right - Its a serious tail sitter is an A-10 and I want to get it just right rather than go mad and collapse the nose gear!

I really do think Ill be getting another of these, even the main gear nacelle thingys went better than I expected, albeit through glueing those in stages.

Right then, I had best sand those Rockeye seams down now while the plane does its gluey thing for a while.

• Like 3

Do you still intend to use humbrol enamels,i want to have a blast from the past with enamels through the airbrush, I've only ever used acrylics in the air brush apart from the odd bit of alclad for jet exausts, only ever used enamels with an hairy stick (good old days) if you use an air brush for them I'll be quizzing you

Glynn

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Do you still intend to use humbrol enamels,i want to have a blast from the past with enamels through the airbrush, I've only ever used acrylics in the air brush apart from the odd bit of alclad for jet exausts, only ever used enamels with an hairy stick (good old days) if you use an air brush for them I'll be quizzing you

Glynn

Yep, Humbrol enamels will be used for sure both with a stick and through the windy gun. Possibly some acrylic too, depends how the colour turns out (for the darker grey of the camo).

To be honest I found little difference with the acrylic compared to enamels - just thinned it til it went through the airbrush nicely. I dont have much experience of acrylics, maybe theyre like enamels in that some work better than others? Dunno, but as a rule of thumb I thin the enamels to a "milky" consistency and blow em out at anything from 20 to 30+ psi depending on what Im doing/how well theyre playing ball.

• Like 1