1/72 HobbyBoss A-10A Thunderbolt II

Finished this today - the HobbyBoss A-10 with Authentic Decals aftermarket transfers and Eduard bombs and missiles. I'm visiting a friend in England tomorrow and her son James asked me specifically for a model of this type of aircraft - he requested 'wheels-up' so he can hang it from his ceiling, which required a bit of modification but the kit gear doors fortunately fitted very well. I added an Airfix pilot from the Vampire. I got the transfers because the kit transfers looked a bit ropey and didn't include a sharkmouth(!) and was a bit dismayed to find the kit didn't include any external stores either which meant I promptly spent twice what I had paid for the kit on Eduard resin bombs (Mk.82, Mk.83, Paveway II and HoBoS, if I recall correctly). I'm not sure if the aircraft would have carried all these stores at the same time but the model is for a 14-year old so I reasoned moar dakka.

Thanks to Jamie at Sovereign Hobbies for sorting me out the colours (ACUS03 Light Ghost Gray and ACUS40 Dark Ghost Gray) - the kit instructions show a much greater contrast between the two greys (grays) but this is for clarity, the real colours are pretty hard to tell apart - not quite as hard as my photos indicate but that is my fault.

Anyway it's my first completion of the year, here it is:

DSCN5856.jpg

DSCN5858.jpg

DSCN5860.jpg

DSCN5862.jpg

DSCN5864.jpg

DSCN5866.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 35

I just love this airplane when heavily loaded like that !  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks gents - it has to survive a seven-and-a-half hour train journey first! If I can just deliver it intact I think I will have done my bit :)

Thanks all for your kind comments,

Cheers,

Stew

Well they were built to take a lot of punishment, fly on half an engine and half a wing and all, so I'm sure it'll survive a dodgy train journey ;)

Good job, I likes all the bombs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Echoing everyone else Stew, it looks great. Not a jet man myself but I could see myself building one of these, you've done a great job. 

Good luck with the deligery, hope it gets there safely 

• Like 1