1/72 - North American A-36 Apache/Invader Brengun - released

Homebee

Oh, my- where to begin?

Everything that has been said regarding this release is accurate- sad to say the kit is not! What is it about the Allison-engine Mustang or even the P-51B/C that is so difficult for kit makers to get right? It's not that there aren't any accurate drawings or real examples to scan, measure, photograph, etc. It's pretty sad that the most salient features of the Allison Mustang- the leading edge wing droop, inner wing crank, wheel bay/rear spar, double hump of the lower cowling,  coke bottle shaped upper carb intake, gun port location, radiator intake and rear  fuselage profile seems to be beyond their ability? I predict the first company that gets this airplane right is going to sell a TON of them; I know I will need at least four. (Eduard- please, please, please!) 

I could most likely do a good one, with a lot of cross kitting and reworking, but with today's technology it shouldn't be necessary. It appears, from the sprue shots, that Brengun got several aspects right, but also made some glaring errors...maybe another example of somebody not knowing what to look for or not doing enough research. I had very high hopes when I saw this kit announced, as Brengun has done some very nice work, but think I will pass on this one. Sorry to be so negative, but I think we all have been waiting so long for a state of the art Allison Mustang, and each new-tool kit announced seems to get our hopes and expectations up, only to be dashed. (That scraping sound you hear is me getting down off of my soapbox!)

Mike

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Denford said:

Airfix perhaps?

Not for some time, IMO

They've done a P-51D. Lots of schemes and decals for multiple releases. To most modelers, "a Mustang is a Mustang."

To us enthusiasts, an Allison Mustang/Apache in 1/72 is a Holy Grail; at least for Mustang enthusiasts, anyway. Airfix have many, many other subjects demanding priority before they do a second Mustang.

• Like 1

Anybody has this model on stock? Only preorders, I think.

Jan S. before the ModelBrno mail me the info that this (inbox photos above)  is only limited  pre-release set. (ca.100 boxes) for the show.
Release is set now for the late summer (Pilsen Kit in the september perhaps?).
Not so sure, if any changes are changes are planned for, but the delay suggest that possibility

22 hours ago, Greenshirt said:

Not for some time, IMO

They've done a P-51D. Lots of schemes and decals for multiple releases. To most modelers, "a Mustang is a Mustang."

To us enthusiasts, an Allison Mustang/Apache in 1/72 is a Holy Grail; at least for Mustang enthusiasts, anyway. Airfix have many, many other subjects demanding priority before they do a second Mustang.

My italics, but perhaps this explains why they haven't (and are unlikely to tool for a while) a Spitfire XlV

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Denford said:

My italics, but perhaps this explains why they haven't (and are unlikely to tool for a while) a Spitfire XlV

That's my take...to a point. Airfix have in their 1/72 range a I/II/Va, Vb (older tool), IXc, and XIX. Their old Vb has also been released with a very poor Vc wing and both SAAF and RAAF decals, so effectively they have a fairly wide offering for Spitfires to the non-enthusiast. So they could fill a gap or two and be just as consistent as they've been in the past. 

Us enthusiasts can make a XIV from the IX + XIX marriage. I've done that and it's dead easy. I've also converted the IXc to a IXe so by extension I could easily get a XIVe high back...

at any rate, I see them replacing their Vb/Vc tooling first as it's either long in the tooth (Vb), or abhorrent (Vc).  The design work is mostly there, just need to scale down from 1/48. 

• Like 2

My hope is a Vc / Xll which would have many common parts, even if this were not quite so in full scale!

Quite a lot of postings on this elsewhere, especially the basic fuselage used!

Ooops: drifting a little of thread!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New boxing released

- ref. BRP72025 - A-36 Apache USAF

Source: http://www.hauler.cz/e-shop/1-72-plastic-kits-28/a-36-apache-usaf-1367

A-36 Apache USAF

- ref. BRP72026 - A-36 Apache UK marking

Source: http://www.hauler.cz/e-shop/1-72-plastic-kits-28/a-36-apache-uk-marking-1368

A-36 Apache UK marking

Accessories

- ref. BRL72132 - A-36 Apache/P-51 Mustang Canopy masks

Source: http://www.hauler.cz/e-shop/1-72-accessories-21/a-36-apache-p-51-mustang-canopy-masks-(brengun)-1376

A-36 Apache/P-51 Mustang Canopy masks (BRENGUN)

V.P.

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:05 AM, Work In Progress said:

Hard to say. Perhaps the apparent depth of the fuselage, in terms of canopy line distance to wing upper surface, is just the angle of that shot, and the eye-tricking diagonal stripes on the other. But it does look deep. It is legally 43-6006, a late P-51A. History and hordes of pics here:

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/survivors/allisons?survivors/serial/43-6006

But "legally" is not the same as "actually". It was restored from probably not very much intact wreckage in the 70s and there is a lot of D in there, hence it is referred to as a P-51A/D, so there could be all sorts of bits and pieces in i, certainly it is a hybrid in some ways.

Presumably the deeper B type radiator housing helps for racing to accommodate more power being squeezed out of the engine.

For what it's worth, 43-6006 has been under thorough restoration for the last 5yr or so to proper P-51A configuration, was completed a fortnight ago and took part in the air races at Reno:

36563850303_7e6bf8e0d5_b.jpg
Chris Gardner photo
37318871435_60fb8dcb92_b.jpg
Will Campbell photo
37318905625_662f2a33d9_b.jpg
Will Campbell photo

So now I'm in the market for an Allison Mustang kit and, still, the best option appears to be Academy!

• Like 1