Super Mystere B2 "Sa'ar" - Latin style

On 2/4/2017 at 3:17 AM, Wez said:

there's something fundamentally wrong with the Trumpeter kit?  If so what?

Wez,

Off the top of my head, as Martin has said, the fin is not accurate and the intake is flat on the bottom  when it should have a curved lip. Use the Esci or Hasegawa F-100 intake if you're going to use the Trumpeter  kit.  I also vaguely recall an issue with the main gear struts/wheels, but I don't remember the details. See the linked review- sorry for the off-topic post, but I figured both of you could  use the info!

Mike

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/preview/trumpeter/01649.htm

BTW Martin- that's a beautiful Super Mystere! ( I just got the Special Hobby kit and will check it against my AZ kit, but it looks pretty darned good in the box!)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wez,

Off the top of my head, as Martin has said, the fin is not accurate and the intake is flat on the bottom  when it should have a curved lip. Use the Esci or Hasegawa F-100 intake if you're going to use the Trumpeter  kit.  I also vaguely recall an issue with the main gear struts/wheels, but I don't remember the details. See the inked review- sorry for the off-topic post, but I figured both of you could  use the info!

Mike

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/preview/trumpeter/01649.htm

BTW Martin- that's a beautiful Super Mystere! ( I just got the Special Hobby kit and will check it against my AZ kit, but it looks pretty darned good in the box!)

Mike

Thanks Mike, all duly noted.

The AZ Super Mystère is awful, you'd be better off with the Airfix kit TBH than the AZ.  The SH kit on the other hand is a huge and welcome leap forward.

9 hours ago, Wez said:

but it looks pretty darned good in the box!)

Wez- you are right; I meant the SH kit looked pretty good in the box...going to be hard to top Martin's little jewel! Kinda like the short tailpipe variant better, but love those Israeli markings, even though @RidgeRunner Martin's having a Latin American orgy at the moment! I'm still reeling from the Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk IIc's I just got! (Sir Sydney is smiling from on high!)

Mike

17 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Kinda like the short tailpipe variant better, but love those Israeli markings, even though @RidgeRunner Martin's having a Latin American orgy at the moment!

I prefer the short tailpipe versions, it just looks right.

I have a couple of the Sa'ar version but I'm with Martin, I'm not interested in the Israeli markings but quite fancy doing them in the two Honduran schemes (the early greens and the later grey).

11 hours ago, Wez said:

The SH kit on the other hand is a huge and welcome leap forward.

Absolutely. Very soon I hope to start my build of the SH Kit

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

love those Israeli markings, even though @RidgeRunner Martin's having a Latin American orgy at the moment!

:) Not just now, Mike. It is a continuing interest ;). I am not drawn at all to any Israeli subjects. Each to their own ;).

Martin

• 1 month later...

I am very pleased to report that FAH 2014 safely landed in La Ceiba yesterday after a long, circuitous route via Miami. She now resides with fellow member Alex Sabillon whose father was a Honduran Sabre, Super Mystere and F-5 pilot. Alex has been supporting my research efforts for my current Super Mystere build. A new found friend. 

Martin

• Like 1

On 05/02/2020 at 07:38, RidgeRunner said:

I am very pleased to report that FAH 2014 safely landed in La Ceiba yesterday after a long, circuitous route via Miami. She now resides with fellow member Alex Sabillon whose father was a Honduran Sabre, Super Mystere and F-5 pilot. Alex has been supporting my research efforts for my current Super Mystere build. A new found friend. 

Martin

Will there be anything you can share Martin?

19 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

That's so cool! 😎  I love seeing another aircraft in Latin markings; adds a lot of interest imho. ( I note that the canopy opens much like the Republic F-84F-interesting design from about the same era, eh?).  Fantastic model RR! :clap2:

I'm away from my superb master reference on the type BUT I think the original seat was based on the Republic seat used in the F/RF-84F (which makes sense because the French operated both types and would have had experience with the seat).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Will there be anything you can share Martin?

I'm happy to but I have to check with Alex. :). Already I am getting great advice on the use of the speedbrakes. They always seem open on FAH machines when stationary but not so on French machines. It looks like my FAH Sabre will head westwards soon too on the same basis. :)

Edited by RidgeRunner