Super Mystere B2 "Sa'ar" - Latin style

Finally I got my latest build finished. I had been running her along side the FJ-4 Fury that I posted recently. She is a Super Mystere B2 “Sa’ar” as operated by the Fuerza Aerea Hondurena from La Ceiba air base. This machine, with others, took part in Operacion Danto ’88 against the Sandinistas when they crossed the Honduras-Nicaragua border to chase the Contras. It was a fairly large scale US-FAH operation. 

HON mystere

She is the latest in a line of models I’ve built that depict South or Central American operators and, in fact, follows on from a Honduran Sabre that I completed a few months ago. She has taken three months or so, on and off. I am a bit slow.

It is the AZ kit – an easy build. Of course, my start of this kit has spurred Special Hobby to announce a new moulding! Hey ho, I was too far down the line by the time that news came out.  So what did I do to her? Well:

1. Added the wired ducting along the port side with Plastruct half-moon rod

2. Added a UHF aerial to the fin and another ahead of the cockpit

3. Added the pressure sensor under the rear fuselage with Plastruct .8mm round rod

4. Added the small bullet fairing at the rear of the fin

5. I removed the moulded plate on the fin where the elevons/tailplane were to be fixed and made two new plates from plastic card and hinged the tailplane on a rod through the fin. The tailplane always sat tilted backwards when at rest.

6. Made plastic card weapons pylons

7. Used Heller Etendard wing tanks

8. Inserted cannons using Plastruct .8mm round rod

9. Cut the canopy so that I could mount it open. The supporting fairing was made using rectangular section plastic rod

10.  Installed a MB seat as the Hondurans had (a Mk5, or as close as I could find)

11. Used stencilling from Isrdecals

12. I opted not to cut out the NACA inlets and instead used home printed decals.

13. Serials and flag from the kit, although the flag isn’t entirely accurate (no stars).

14. Printed the Armament  panel on the port nose

I think that was it ;).

The paint scheme is standard US two-greens/tan and underside of grey. All Humbrol  enamels (116/117/118/28) I painted a number of subtle stains in the various colours by simply adding a spot of a darker shade to each and painted them on using a fine brush. The rear section has two distinct darker tan patches where the squadron marks were removed. I then dirtied her up with Flory Dirt and finished with a matt cote.

I hope you like her.

_DSC0412flickr

Martin

…. Next is a C-Model Super Sabre to keep my Sabre line going.  I have an Obscureco wing and fin set to incorporate after I’ve figured out the Aires cockpit set and jet pipe set J . She’s going to be a Turk based on an Esci kit!

Edited by RidgeRunner
Moved from PB to Flickr and updated image
  • Like 46

Martin,

Cracking job and something you don't often see (Super Mystere's are quite rare, Honduran one's more so).

A question about your next build, are you converting the Esci kit using the Obscureco conversion because you have it or because there's something fundamentally wrong with the Trumpeter kit?  If so what?

I've got a number of Airfix Super Mystere's but I too am holding out for the promised Special Hobby kit, hope your efforts will have spurred them on (I've got plenty of decals for French subjects).

Thanks again for showing us your work - and BTW, you're a much quicker builder than me!

Hi Wez, 

my my understanding is that the Trumpeter falls short on accuracy whereas the Esci scores points from everyone. Chris at Obscureco sent me a C-model set that looks good, while a little dimpled. Even so it is better on outline etc. For example, the Trumpeter fin is wrong, for sure. I do have a Trumpeter C that I will use for spares - it has a ladder etc. 

I see see where all the Airfix SMB2s are lurking ;)

good luck....

Martin

Splendid!

On 01/02/2017 at 1:43 PM, RidgeRunner said:

She is the latest in a line of models I’ve built that depict South or Central American operators and, in fact, follows on from a Honduran Sabre that I completed a few months ago.

Got to dig out some of your topic then,

Antoine,

Impressive build! I am saving this, so I can use what you have done to  figure out how to  crosskit the Airfix and AZ kits, or maybe since you have done all of this fine work, Special Hobby will finally release theirs and give us a better kit to work with- you do know that's how this works, right? Seriously, I can only hope I can do as good as you have. It sure does look weird with that extended exhaust!

Mike

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, Wez said:

A question about your next build, are you converting the Esci kit using the Obscureco conversion because you have it or because there's something fundamentally wrong with the Trumpeter kit?  If so what?

Hi Wez, If you are interested:

As you can see, I am posting a little about my build on Ed's thread. 

M

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Thomas! Thank you. She fills a nice gap in my Latin air arms line up, which is slowly growing. I don't turn them out as quick as you! ;)

Martin

:DBut only posting (older ones), not building. 3 per year, i mostly missed that goal!