707 737 fuselage etc. comparisons

How close are the Boeing line of fuselages? mainly the 707 and 737. I heard somewhere they are they same aside from length. Are windows and doors the same size? I have a strange idea to build a 737-800 using a 707 and 737-200 for parts. I know Welsh makes the P-8A which is an 800 series, but I'm looking at cost and windows to deal with. I could do the Revell kit, but thinking about 1/72. Any comments are welcome.

You could always do the Welsh 738 in either Varig, Ryanair or Virgin Blue...

The 737 and 727 upper fuselage lobe is identical to the 707's upper lobe, but the lower section is shallower so simply using a Heller 707 to make a 737 is more difficult than you may think. Also, very little of the 732 would be usable in a 738 model. Wings, tailplanes, landing gear and (obviously) engines are completely different. The windows and doors are the same size, but they're not in the same positions.

6 minutes ago, Jessica said:

You could always do the Welsh 738 in either Varig, Ryanair or Virgin Blue...

The 737 and 727 upper fuselage lobe is identical to the 707's upper lobe, but the lower section is shallower so simply using a Heller 707 to make a 737 is more difficult than you may think. Also, very little of the 732 would be usable in a 738 model. Wings, tailplanes, landing gear and (obviously) engines are completely different. The windows and doors are the same size, but they're not in the same positions.

Hmm, thanks. I just looked at the E-3 I have and saw the pinch at the floor line. Might be better off demiliterizing a Welsh P-8 kit. Most of the bodywork is done already.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

23 minutes ago, Jessica said:

If you already have the P-8 then you might wish to convert it. Or perhaps make it into a "what if" RCAF version...

RCAF P-8? would be interesting since I saw talk that they are replacing the P-3s with them. Definitely a smaller one, maybe in the high vis scheme. The RCAF Auroras will be around for some time yet. Looking more at a Westjet project(s), just not to big a fan of side window decals unless I find some very realistic ones. I have to still get the P-8 if that's the better way to go.

IMG_9629.jpg

On the basis that if it looks right, that's good enough, here is the P-8A I made from an Airfix E-3 kit in 1/72 scale. If you wanted to make a 737-800 then the Heller Boeing 707 might make a better starting point as it would give you the windows though you would need to get a pair of CFM-56 engines for it. Lots of cutting, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling and sanding but it was worth it in the end.

Of course you could wait and hope for something like this

RevellP-8.jpg

but don't hold your breath waiting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jessica said:

Well if you still have to get the P-8, and you really want a 738, then don't forget that welsh does 3 different versions already so you won't need to convert a thing :)

I just saw the 738 line Welsh has. I know it's likely a bit more cost than the future Revell, but as you say it's done, no major rework. The 707 conversion would be the last option. Still would debate putting real windows in as opposed to the decals the Welsh kit has. I think though, the Welsh kit has the thin light outline which I think I would need on the window decals. At the very least I'd do something with the cockpit windows.

51 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I just saw the 738 line Welsh has. I know it's likely a bit more cost than the future Revell, but as you say it's done, no major rework. The 707 conversion would be the last option. Still would debate putting real windows in as opposed to the decals the Welsh kit has. I think though, the Welsh kit has the thin light outline which I think I would need on the window decals. At the very least I'd do something with the cockpit windows.

The Revell box art is a spoof; however there is a 1/72 injection moulded 737-800 on the way. BPK have been working on one for a while now. It could be out sometime this year (but don't quote me on that :smile: )

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985331-bpk-boeing-b737-800-172nd/

I should imagine it'll have a similar breakdown as their 737-200 series http://bigplaneskits.com/shop/uncategorized/737-200-british/.

Jonathan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

I was going to mention the BPK kit as well but Jonathan beat me to it.

I have both the Welsh P-8 and BPK 737-200 and know which would prefer to work with. The BPK is not Revell but a lot better than vac/resin to build.

Would I be better off waiting for the BPK kit then? you have some experience with them. I didn't know there was any difference with the nose since BPK is redoing something on it. No new update on it I guess? It will give me time to practice the decal/paint scheme.