Spitfire VIII Questions

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

The Eduard explanation is very useful, however I still believe that the easiest way to replace the bulges is how suggested by the Wooksta and Peter earlier in the thread, that is by sanding the narrow ones and replacing them with spares from the AZ or other kits. I can see less risks of damaging the surface detail in this way rather than cutting the whole panel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The Eduard explanation is very useful, however I still believe that the easiest way to replace the bulges is how suggested by the Wooksta and Peter earlier in the thread, that is by sanding the narrow ones and replacing them with spares from the AZ or other kits. I can see less risks of damaging the surface detail in this way rather than cutting the whole panel

And yuou don't need a whole new kit just for two bulges and cannon barrels!

• Like 3

Thanks for reposting the instructions. 

Looking at the Eduard sprues it seems simply swapping the wings between sprue F and G would provide the desired F.VIII wing w wide bulges and the other kit effectively becomes a Spitfire w sprue H, Spitfire Mk IXc late. 

No surgery and I still have 2 Spitfires. Or am I missing a trick?

Edited by Greenshirt

46 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Not an oil tank but an extra fuel tank.  The Mk.VIII could have some 50% more fuel than the Mk.IX.  There's also the difference in ailerons of course.

Ailerons — doh!

Thanks much. 

The ailerons, the fuel tanks and a few smaller details... that for the modeller means that a simple wing swap is not feasible but also means that Eduard has really given us a proper Mk.VIII and not a Mk.IX masquerading as an VIII. Eduard sure made a feew mistakes in the past but with the Spitfire has set the bar very high.

Speaking of which, the Aussie Eight 1/72 special box is currently on sale for a good price on the Eduard website... postage is not cheap but I'm tempted myself to get one for Christmas in addition to the set I already have (that I'm currently building for the Pacific GB)

Edited by Giorgio N

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Dear me.  Two little cuts, two dabs of filler, and a little smoothing.  There must be more difficult conversions...

While this would be true just a few years ago, Eduard has given us new challenges with their attention to detail and the VIII and IX had different wings, not just ailerons.

Diverging, a result of this attention to detail and engineering, is that the Eduard kits require new skills, i.e. learning that if it does not seem to fit, then it's the modeller that has a problem, not the kit🙂

/Finn

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 6:24 PM, Graham Boak said:

Dear me.  Two little cuts, two dabs of filler, and a little smoothing.  There must be more difficult conversions...

Easily within my skill set. I’d just rather not if I don’t HAVE to. I’ve got plenty of subjects I’d like to do and already have a few on the bench requiring cuts, dabs, and smoothing just to make them accurate to the markings in the box. If I can find a short cut, it’s time I can spend fixing a more poor kit.