Revell McLaren 570s

shood23

So a little more done to this recently 

I need to try out a new make of carbon decal so templates have been made up. 

20170426_155330_zpschrepocw.jpg

The black areas on the front have been put on with airbrushed tamiya pot paint 

20170426_155341_zpsfjxepmtb.jpg

And the same to the rear. 

20170426_155327_zpswlcgt0x3.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

More done to the Macca today. 

I bought so carbon decals at the start of the week for a future build but with enough to spare for other cars so I have used some on this for the roof and side inlets. The spot are just from dried water a were wiped off before getting some flat clear on. 

20170427_184611_zpspfujaswl.jpg

The front bumper part has been masked off and had the black area painted on. 

20170427_184628_zpsgpww1noo.jpg

Then once the paint had a few hours to dry in the sun the purple area was polished with micro mesh higher grades and then the while lot was glued onto the car. 

20170427_190251_zpsrc9cg3bo.jpg

I really like the look of this baby McLaren now, just wished they done a race car version like they did with the 650s. 

20170427_190324_zpsibua3pzq.jpg

More soon  

Shaun

• Like 5

A small update on the slight changes of the past few days. 

The roof area and side inlet carbon areas have had a coat of flat clear put on. Reason for flat clear and not gloss is only because I like the match up of flat carbon and gloss body colour together. 

20170429_074532_zpshtztn1wi.jpg

The headlights have been painted black and have been put in for a test fit as they are quite fiddly to get in right. 

20170429_114745_zpsky4ptad3.jpg

The rear side windows have been put in but not following the instruction here as they are wrong and the clear part and it's holder would not have got in without pinging the 2 parts apart a million times before getting it right. 

20170429_151050_zpsbbvolq5y.jpg

The rear window could go in as it says in the instruction, it's held in place by the same part as the side windows which turned out to be a pain to get in on it's own before any window bit were put on.

20170429_151100_zpszzbj5wv9.jpg

And finally for this update the head lights had the secondary colour painted on which in hindsight should have been the first colour to go on. 

20170429_162552_zpsr2qeinwv.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 5

Looking great in purple with the flat roof, Shaun. What colour will you use for the interior?

My 570S has just arrived, and I found this website with heaps of photos on it for reference:

http://www.caricos.com/cars/m/mclaren/2016_mclaren_570s_coupe/

I was planning on getting Volcano Orange from Gravity Colors but then thought I'd try and make my own with Tamiya clear orange over Mica Silver. Then I thought I'd try Tamiya Kawasaki Mica green instead. 

Need to finish a couple of other kits first, though.

I am worried that I am following you a bit closely, Shaun! I have a Fujimi 917 on the go, and an MP4-31 to build, along with a Red Bull RB6 and now the 570S! At least I'm not a real Ferrari fan or things would get really creepy!  I also won't be building anything with Liberty Walk bodykits as I think they look like something knocked up in someone's garage (sorry!) although they do seem rather popular.

Kev.

Thanks for the comments guys. 

And kev it's not creepy to have the same interest in cars, if anything it helps as one of us will make one of the kits you mentioned first and find the tricky points of it. 

I had the same issue with the colours. Volcano orange wasn't available when I bought the kit so I settled for a colour used on the mp4/12c but then didn't care for it, went to gulf blue then the first decals messed up and striped it then realised with all the builds I have planned that there would be a lot of gulf colour cars/vans when I finished them all so went to plum crazy purple as it's so different from any other colour of my completions in my cabinets.

And yes I saw the new McLaren recently on f1m I think, I know the real car is cheap again but I can't wait to have a 17'  spec car on the go. I think it's great though that ebbro are really trying to fill the void tamiya and fujimi have left though I am still hopeful that fujimi will start making Ferraris again. 

Shaun

Hi guys, this is what I would consider to be the beginning of the end of tgis build. 

The body section has been mounted to the wheels/engine section permanently.

20170505_120846_zpstj8g2esj.jpg

From the rear 

20170505_120853_zpsz2sdtgjq.jpg

The windscreen has had the surround painted. It's not the nearest job I've ever done but most will be hidden by the black sections of the body. 

20170505_165009_zps9mw6cn1c.jpg

The doors are more or less complete now. 

20170505_164938_zpsb9vrug9t.jpg

The windscreen has been stuck in place with white glue. The finger prints will be wiped off at the end. 

20170505_182239_zpssvsvgqxw.jpg

The doors have also been stuck on now as well. The orange area you can see is where I have had to flie back so the last part of the door can sit flush with the body above the intake. 

20170505_182233_zpsfwlolayx.jpg

So this is probably going to be finished sometime over the weekend hopefully given there are only a few more bits that need doing. 

Shaun 

• Like 3

Right so this build us now finally complete. 3 months and 2 paint jobs later I am now finally happy to get this off the bench and into a display unit. 

Thanks to those who've commented, liked or just watch along quietly. 

A completion thread will be later today in the ready for inspection area. In the mean time here's a quick sneak peek. 

20170507_162124_zpsirruynty.jpg

Again my thanks goes to all of you. 

Shaun

• Like 4

That has turned into a real show stopper, looks a lot better than the 1:1 version I saw today at Thruxton!

Roger

• Like 1