Avro Vulcan B.2 - RAF Scampton 1970 ++FINISHED++

My entry for the group build is going to be an OOB build of the Cyber-Hobby's Vulcan based at RAF Scampton in 1970 and here are the box and contents shots.

DSC01665_zpsi8lqwd33.jpg

DSC01667_zpsgtoee3uq.jpg

DSC01668_zpsrf3rkyzl.jpg

I am looking forward to starting this soon and I hope that this will be the build that lifts the modelling mojo.

I should have done this earlier, but I will check references to make sure that the subject falls within the scope of the group build.

• Like 6

A front line type based within our theater of operations and era of interest so yes it's go for this GB :yahoo:

Plus I'd likely get lynched for not allowing this icon of the Cold War in ;) 

• Like 1

Cheers gents, I am going to have to do some further checking. As you can see from the shot of the instructions above, this aircraft is carrying a Blue Steel missile. From my initial reading of the Vulcan article in Wings of Fame Vol 3, Blue Steel operations had ceased by the end of 1969, so that throws some doubt on this particular set up and will mean a change to a conventional bomb bay. I don't think that I will be putting 21 1000 pounders in there though. :winkgrin:

• Like 2

The checking continues and I still have more to do. The decals on this option are for 27 Squadron with a red 'Dumbo' on the tail, but I'm not too sure if the squadron emblems had disappeared at this stage and so the search for good photos from the 70's continues. Meanwhile here is a shot of the sprues before I make a start on painting some of the smaller parts.

DSC01674_zpsna7qtzoa.jpg

There seems to be a heck of a lot of wheels to paint, I think that it could be time for a can of Satin Black.

• Like 2

Hi John,

a Vulcan is always impressive to tackle. But I am worried about you modelling in ever smaller and smaller scales!

Have you regained a 20/20 vision?

I hope your mojo will come out restored after this one.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

a Vulcan is always impressive to tackle. But I am worried about you modelling in ever smaller and smaller scales!

Have you regained a 20/20 vision?

I hope your mojo will come out restored after this one.

Have fun!

JR

Hi Jean,

Nice to hear from you again, and I have not regained 20/20 sight unfortunately. :D I still have to remove my glasses to work on these little models, but I think that I might skip painting the two crew figures that are included.

When I get started my plan is to build this with the crew door open and ladder down, I have to try and finish another couple of models before that happens though and hopefully I will be ready with a fully restored mojo too..

@wimbledon99

I hope that these two give you a better idea of the size. :)

DSC01682_zps7udrzxcb.jpg

DSC01681_zps2sx5jhtx.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that I had better get started on some assembly work on this and got the undercarriage parts (only two wheels on the nose leg) together yesterday, along with intakes and fin. The intakes are not fixed in position, requiring further work to their joins to get a nice smooth appearance before painting them white.

DSC01726_zpsarurflnz.jpg.

I have also managed to make a start on turning it back from its Blue Steel role to a more conventional one by attempting to make a fill piece for the for the bomb bay doors. I am not sure if this should be flatter than I have it at present. Some of the photos I have found look as though the line of the fuselage continues on through the bomb doors  but in others it looks like it is a simple flattened shape. I think that I will have another look for clearer images of this area before finalising things, any help/thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome.

DSC01727_zpso1xploub.jpg

DSC01729_zpsjvgd3naq.jpg

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Well I've got to say that looks a smashing little kit, hows the fit so far ,

Glynn

The fit is pretty good Glynn, I had to make sure that any paint and moulding seams were removed before assembling the undercarriage parts due to close tolerances. The intakes go together really well and I am hoping that I can get away with using Perfect Plastic Putty along the joins to help me  blend them in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, PlaStix said:

Good to see this one underway. Very nice.

Kind regards,

Stix

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, Col. said:

You're off to good start John.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:07 PM, mirageiv said:

Lovely work so far John, nice mod work.

cheers

David

Thanks gents and sorry for the delayed reply, we have had a few things to sort out at home recently and it is still going on at the moment, but things should settle down soon.

Work has continued on the Vulcan when time has permitted and I have completed assembly and painting of the intakes.

DSC01798_zpsvcueh30i.jpg

DSC01797_zpsbenr4m5s.jpg

I have glued the re-modelled bomb bay doors in position and these have been blended in to match the profile of the underside where required and the nose undercarriage bay was added after the ejector pin marks had been filled.

DSC01795_zpsdkvgv8lx.jpg

DSC01794_zpswvdo7qzi.jpg

The photos above were taken after an initial prime and whilst the blending was in progress, the shot below was taken after I had finished and re-primed. I had also filled and sanded the seams around the base of the fin and primed these areas too.

DSC01799_zpsgexodn0d.jpg

DSC01800_zpspgub9ajt.jpg

DSC01801_zpsitrlmg33.jpg

The next job is to see if I will be able to fit the crew entry door components after the painting stage, if not I will need to come up with an alternative plan. 

• Like 6