Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MkIX

Tali

Hello everyone.

Just one model i managed to build last year. 

This Spit had a few chances to fly to the trash can (the kit itself is just brilliant - you know) but after all it survived. 

Don't ask me why, but i have only 2 pics ((

Spitfire-Eduard-11.jpg.39a0a49b0f37051aa

Spitfire-Eduard-22.jpg.5c5fc8afd0ddfc583

• Like 39

Erm.... with the kit - yes.

But for no apparent reason i decided to try acrylic metallics from vallejo... That was a bad idea for me. The paints itself are very good, but their gloss coat... /censored/

I'd strongly suggest that you keep their use to minimum. They're allright for small brush painted details, but lousy for airbrushing.

They tend to wrap around the model in an elastic foil like film, and if you happen to try and scratch off a piece of dirt or dust and manage to lift the paint, then you're screwed.

Revell ones, on the other hand, aren't bad at all. Especially no. 99.

Edited by Josip

2 hours ago, Tali said:

But for no apparent reason i decided to try acrylic metallics from vallejo... That was a bad idea for me. The paints itself are very good, but their gloss coat... /censored/

Which shade of vallejo paint did you use ? Also the regular metallics from them or the new metal colour series ?

I have also used them a few times now , agree on the gloss coat ( it either goes on satin/matte or it destroys the finish  ).  If you have the klear floor polish , try using that , I apply the same with a flat brush after thinning the klear 50:50 using alcohol . 

3 hours ago, Tali said:

Which gloss varnish did you have trouble with? I like their standard gloss varnish and I've got some of their metal varnish for coating metallic finishes but haven't tried it yet.

2 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

I found the valejo metal color varnish not pleasant to use either. But the valejo metal colors themselves were great for me. 

Did you airbrush it straight, thin it or add any flow improver?

Edited by Tbolt

2 hours ago, Josip said:

and if you happen to try and scratch off a piece of dirt or dust

A clean workspace is a happy workspace 👍🏿 

Not the paints fault mate. 

Don't discourage other people from using a product due to your own lack of attention to detail. 

9 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

The varnish?

I tried all of the above but couldn't get it to work for me sadly. Other people have had good results though 👍🏿 

Yes sorry the varnish. Thanks I'll have to have a play with it.

Thanks for your feedback!

It was new Metal Color series from Vallejo + their black primer + gloss varnish. 

The paints itself are really good. Actually i did scratch the wing but after sanding/polishing/re-painting it disappeared.

But the gloss varnish became a disaster. It was not gloss. It was not smooth. And it killed the metal completely.

So i removed it and repaint with my favorite Gunze+Future.  

Nice build ... and thanks for the discussion on the Vallejo metallic. I am planning on using the new Vallejo Metallic "Air" paints on my next NMF build but it looks like I'll coat the finish with Future floor polish. And then if I need to flatten it a little bit I can spray something else on top of that.                 Bob H.

• Like 1