Tempest Mk V Questions

Brad-M

Hi,

I am starting a Tempest project, and was wondering a few things. The subject I wish to do is an aircraft from 56 Squadron, serial EJ533 in Sep 1944. I'm trying to find out if the aircraft would still have the invasion stripes, or if the stripes were removed, or perhaps there were just the half portion under the fuselage?

Tia

Brad

By September the top fuselage and over wing stripes were SUPPOSED to have been removed. However, I am sure, not all were on every aircraft.

The best thing is to try and find some photographs of the original aeroplane.

Brad, I think the question might come down to WHEN in September!

At the beginning of the month 56 Sqn was still involved in anti-Diver patrols.  Very few Tempest photos in this period have come to light and the only two featuring 56 Sqn that I know, both showing US-P JN875, I used in the recent Osprey Combat Aircraft 117.  The earlier shot shows the aircraft from the front in full D-Day stripes (it was delivered to 56 c.29 June 44) and the later photo, taken in July 44 shows the stripes had been removed completely.  Other photos of Tempests at Newchurch at this time show them without stripes, in accordance with recommendations from RAE due the drag-inducing qualities of the distemper used.

The question is ... when were the stripes (as you say, under the fuselage only) reintroduced?  Possibly early in September when anti-Diver ops ceased and ops over the Continent began, or possibly just before the unit left to join 2nd TAF at the end of September?  The stripes were then applied in smooth, permanent paint, extending as far up as the bottom of the code letters; spinners at this time were still Sky, with Black backplate. The IWM has a short clip of film which show these markings but I was unable to acquire prints as the film was original nitrate stock and deemed too inflammable for the print-making process. There is also an IWM photo which features EJ548 US-G in the background, codes mostly obscured, which was published in Typhoon and Tempest at War' p155 and 2nd TAF Vol 2, p353.

As you possibly know, EJ533 was US-E and served with 56 Sqn from early July 44 to 4 October 1944 when it was landed at Volkel with faulty flaps, overshot the runway and W/O L.W.Freeman was slightly injured. EJ533 was Cat B, repaired at Hawker Aircraft, but saw no further service use, remaining in store at 20 MU until 1950.

CT

Edited by Chris Thomas
inflammable not inflatable!
  • Like 2

Hi Chris,

The postman just dropped off your book and I am leafing through it. The time frame in September is 29 September, when P/O Ness claimed 2 FW-190's that day. Thanks for the detailed reply, it's appreciated.

Cheers

Brad