F-5C, Freedom Fighter, `Skoshi Tiger`

Hi everyone,

Just completed my attempt at building a `Skoshi Tiger` Freedom Fighter from Wolfpacks issue of the 1/48 Kinetic kit

Jhik4eO.jpg

Completed as an F-5C of 4503rd TFS, USAF, Vien Hoa AFB, South Vietnam, 1965

QPM9MdO.jpg

Built mostly from the box contents, which is the Kinetic kit with resin refuelling probe and ejector seat, but I added bombs from a Hasegawa weapons set,   .......

BRl0QzG.jpg

..... some armour plate to the lower forward fuselage and replaced the rear view mirrors with some made from thick tin foil

AOKJZPs.jpg

This kit came with sprues moulded in different colour plastics and didn`t go together as well as my previous Kinetic build and req`d lots of filler and sanding.

UnRJpkV.jpg

`Skoshi Tiger was the name given to the combat evaluation detachment prior to it being selected for use by the VNAF

Here it is with my VNAF build I did some time ago

LiBXn91.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ 

• Like 59

Hi Hr Happy, The Kinetic kit that I built first (the VNAF one) wasn`t too bad and req`d only a little filler but this one didn`t go together well at all and I had to resort to cementing bits of plastic card in on the fuselage joints as well as lots of filler. I broke the resin refuelling probe a few times cutting it off the casting blocks very brittle stuff.

The paints are all Humbrol Enamels slapped on with Hairy Stick as usual.

The Blast Walls came from a couple of Noy`s Minatures backdrop sets that I got off Hannants.

Glad you like it,

Cheers Russ

• Like 2

I don't know why but a million years ago in the late 70's I built a Matchbox F-5A Freedom Fighter in the S.E. Asia colour scheme and you have captured exactly what I was trying to create way back then. Very nice build.

Michael

• Like 1

A great build there Russ, I have the same kit but in 1/72 - I will hopefully get around to building them one day!!

You have done a fantastic job with the hairy stick, very good effects with the demarcation and panel lines.

Thanks for sharing.

Phil

• Like 1

Hello,Russ - I've always had a liking for the 'Freedom Fighter' and both your models are beautifully built and finished in your customary way along with the realistic display. The quality of your brush-applied paint finishes always draws my attention and admiration.Dare I ask if you use this method for the final varnish coat or aim a rattle can at it? Do you use enamel-based varnish? 

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, Thanks, I use Windsor and Newton Galeria Acrylic Matt Varnish these days and it`s brushed on too. A few people on here recommended it when I was having woes with Humbrol Matt Varnish some time ago and I haven`t looked back since.

Thanks to everyone for looking and kind comments too

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, russ c said:

Hi Paul, Thanks, I use Windsor and Newton Galeria Acrylic Matt Varnish these days and it`s brushed on too. A few people on here recommended it when I was having woes with Humbrol Matt Varnish some time ago and I haven`t looked back since.

Thanks to everyone for looking and kind comments too

My pleasure,Russ.Thank you for that information. To be honest,I'm giving some serious thought and consideration to the varnish types on future builds.Up to press, I've used Xtracolor enamel-based types,mainly 'Satin'. I understand that the enamels have to be properly dried beforehand but it's good to know that the Windsor and Newton Acrylic is compatible.Keep up the Fine Fettling!!😉👍

• Like 1

Hi Russ,

Yet another "Nam" wonder build , like Paul I also like the F-5 very sleek looking jet ! Until they started hanging bombs off it !! ( not that I'm criticising your F-5 in anyway )

Love the way you have painted it and some nice weathering and a realistic setting to boot.

:goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1