I've got one side of the fuselage re-scribed and the Italeri front fuselage temporarily attached, it's not looking too bad. 

IMG_1686_zps6shofuom.jpg

Just to underline why I'm doing this, I've overlaid the new combined fuselage  on the un modified Italeri kit to show just how bad it is.

IMG_1685_zpsxm8ylagi.jpg

John

• Like 5

18 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Just to underline why I'm doing this, I've overlaid the new combined fuselage  on the un modified Italeri kit to show just how bad it is.

The Italeri really let itself go a bit over the christmas leftovers... ;) 

Nice work!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a bit of progress, the fuselage and nose are now re-scribed I've joind them up so I can make sure that every thing lines up and is square, I will need to adjust some of the lines, but over all not too bad.

IMG_1710_edited_zpscwoaqivt.jpg 

That's the first and hardest part done. 

John

• Like 7

Wow.

I never really had an eye for the "Shape" of the Canberra.

Built the Italeri B-57 Ages ago. Rescribed it, too. However, i had no idea how "Off" it was compared to the Airfix kit. Learned something new today.

-d-

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, David H said:

Wow.

I never really had an eye for the "Shape" of the Canberra.

Built the Italeri B-57 Ages ago. Rescribed it, too. However, i had no idea how "Off" it was compared to the Airfix kit. Learned something new today.

-d-

Hi David

I think a lot of people are surprised at just how wrong the kit is,the back end was something that bothered me for some time but it wasn't until I went over it in detail that I worked out just how far out it was, but as I've said it still looks B.57 shape out of the box and the other 10 or so I have in stock will be built just as they come(ish)

John 

• Like 1

I've put some filler on the fuselage, so whilst that is drying I thought I'd turn my attention to the wings, I wish I hadn't! as with the Italeri fuselage I always suspected there was something not quite right about the wings but as I was more bothered by the fuselage I never got around to checking the wings out fully. So other than the shallow wheel wells and the spurious detail, what else is wrong? Well' I've taken a photo of the Airfix wing and Italeri wing over layed on the most dymetuanal accurate drawing I know of and this is what it shows.

IMG_1717_zpsmt6pgoss.jpg  

As you can see the Italeri wing is well short on cord, the Aileron is a foot short and the span is under, the Airfix is not perfect but a hell of a lot closer. So It looks like I'm going to have to go with the Airfix wing now. Such fun!! :)

John

• Like 6

I've dug out the Airfix and FROG B(I)8 wings to check them against the same plan and as you will see the FROG wings are as near as anything spot on! The new Airfix wings aren't that far off either, again a bit of a discrepancy with the span of the Aileron and the tip shape but otherwise quite close, now the thing is do I go FROG or Airfix? I'm thinking FROG, I will need to add wingtip lights which I have in stock, and wheel bays also I will not easily be able to drop the flaps but over all a better prospect. The wing is deeper on the FROG kit whach will mean I need to build fill the step whach I've done before and it's not that bad a job.

IMG_1718_zpstdtr4u17.jpg

John 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello again,John - The Textbook Build continues.Great work indeed and testament to your devotion to the subject,

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, when I started the build I thought it would be about 50/50 Airfix and Italeri but it looks like now it's just going to be the forward fuselage of the Italeri kit and a mix of Airfix and FROG, it's amazing how this kit escaped getting a panning when it came out but perhaps that was because it was before the intra web?

John 

• Like 1

I have no intention of proferring advice on a Canberra in one of your threads John, but I would concur with the visual accuracy of the FROG wing there as the more pleasing, shape-and dimension-wise.

Tony

• Like 1

It always amazes me how some old kits seem to get dimensions and shapes just so, where as some newer kits feature some bloopers.

Was it due to more rigorous measuring and planning of a kit, rather than relying too much on technology and concentrating on detail?

At least the Frog B(I).8 lives on in the Revell box, I would use those wings.

• Like 4

As already said in another dedicated Frog thread, this company was so often ahead of its time!

Most impressive build!

JR

• Like 1

On 05/03/2017 at 7:36 PM, TheBaron said:

I have no intention of proferring advice on a Canberra in one of your threads John, but I would concur with the visual accuracy of the FROG wing there as the more pleasing, shape-and dimension-wise.

Tony

Tony if you have advice don't hold back my friend, I agree, FROG it is!

On 05/03/2017 at 7:56 PM, 71chally said:

It always amazes me how some old kits seem to get dimensions and shapes just so, where as some newer kits feature some bloopers.

Was it due to more rigorous measuring and planning of a kit, rather than relying too much on technology and concentrating on detail?

At least the Frog B(I).8 lives on in the Revell box, I would use those wings.

The FROG B(I)8 has long been regarded as a very accurate rendition, but it has fallen out of favor due to it's age and simplicity, but the wings are spot on as far as I can see.

On 05/03/2017 at 7:58 PM, jean said:

As already said in another dedicated Frog thread, this company was so often ahead of its time!

Most impressive build!

JR

And so it proves to be!

John 

• Like 2

I'm finding this very interesting having Airfix, Frog & Italeri Canberra's in stock. Would it be doable to use the Frog fuselage with the Italeri nose for a B-57, then all I'd need to do on the Airfix one is use the Aero nose correction set? :unsure:

Steve

Edited by stevehnz
spelling
  • Like 3

I've not started my Italeri kit yet, but when I do I would love to put it on a diet at the back. Do you know of any good drawings John I could use to help me?

Also, I can't remember what we said, but are you at Hinckley, or was it Cosford..

Keep up the good work, :)  can't wait to see this done!

• Like 1

Hi John,

So another Great build of a Canberra ( well sort of :lol: it's the U.S version ! I much prefer the U.K version  but still a great aircraft !) Sorry I'm a bit late for this one but did eventually catch up.

Some really good work you have done already my friend :clap2:but just shows have different manufacturers differ with the same scale and same aircraft I suppose it goes for any kit really.

Some great photos of your SIG at Huddersfield on the Airfix workbench site.

I will look forward to seeing more progress keep up the good work :bye:

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm finding thus very interesting having Airfix, Frog & Italeri Canberra's in stock. Would it be doable to use the Frog fuselage with the Italeri nose for a B-57, then all I'd need to do on the Airfix one is use the Aero nose correction set? :unsure:

Steve

Steve, you could use the FROG fuselage and wings, you will need to quite a bit of work to convert it B,57 standard, are you familiar with what you would need to do? 

7 hours ago, Radleigh said:

I've not started my Italeri kit yet, but when I do I would love to put it on a diet at the back. Do you know of any good drawings John I could use to help me?

Also, I can't remember what we said, but are you at Hinckley, or was it Cosford..

Keep up the good work, :)  can't wait to see this done!

Hi Radleigh

I'll be going to Cosford, I'll bring the seats along with me, I have some plans on my site, but I'm trying to sort a new one out using my info. 

1 hour ago, F4u said:

Hi John,

So another Great build of a Canberra ( well sort of :lol: it's the U.S version ! I much prefer the U.K version  but still a great aircraft !) Sorry I'm a bit late for this one but did eventually catch up.

Some really good work you have done already my friend :clap2:but just shows have different manufacturers differ with the same scale and same aircraft I suppose it goes for any kit really.

Some great photos of your SIG at Huddersfield on the Airfix workbench site.

I will look forward to seeing more progress keep up the good work :bye:

Guy

It's good to have you along for the ride Guy! I know what you mean about the American Canberra, but she has grown on me over time, she'll never replace the mighty PR.7 as my all time favorite Canberra. I'm hoping one day Airfix or Revell, which would be more likely or one of the far east companies will bring out a new accurate B.57/Canberra.

John 

7 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Steve, you could use the FROG fuselage and wings, you will need to quite a bit of work to convert it B,57 standard, are you familiar with what you would need to do?

John 

Not really but I haven't done much in the way of looking into this. I've seen an article of yours about updating the Italeri kit but not so much kit bashing & it occurred to me reading this thread, especially when the Frog wings came into it, maybe it was a way to go? I'm happy to confess to being as green as grass when it comes to the finer points of Canberra variant differences. :unsure: Any pointers/links greatfully received but not at the expense of derailing this thread.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Not really but I haven't done much in the way of looking into this. I've seen an article of yours about updating the Italeri kit but not so much kit bashing & it occurred to me reading this thread, especially when the Frog wings came into it, maybe it was a way to go? I'm happy to confess to being as green as grass when it comes to the finer points of Canberra variant differences. :unsure: Any pointers/links greatfully received but not at the expense of derailing this thread.

Steve.

Hi Steve

I had a thought today, you can cross reference the differences using the Italeri fuselage but don't measure anything out from the Italeri kit to the FROG kit as it will probably be wrong! The nearest I've done to this has been two RB.57A's one in 1/72 and one1/48.

1/48 EB.57A and Oriental Heartthrob, RB.57A-1  I'd forgotten about my RB.57A-1 I'll be doing virtually the same thing on this build, FROG wings and Airfix fuselage.

There is also plans and drawings on my site IPMS UK Canberra SIG  I hope that helps? but any questions feel free to ask.

John 

• Like 1

Now I've made the decision to go FROG with the wings I've had to go through the marking out for re scribing process all over again. Whilst I was about it I took the opportunity to checkout in more depth the accuracy of the FROG wing, and they do measure up very well in all dimensions and even the panel detail is very good.

I've also marked out the missing bits from the British wing too such as the extra landing lights position for the fuel vapor vent mast's and the underwing pylons for the TFR pod. The pencil line is just a guide for the scribing which will be much neater! :)

IMG_1724_zpsiglpvxa2.jpg

John         

• Like 7