It's been on my to do list for some time so I thought my 57th year would be a good as an excuse as any to try to build an accurate B.57 Canberra. The two options out there Airfix and Italeri both fall short of an accurate representation of the real thing, so I hope by combining the best elements of each kit and throwing in a bit of Matchbox PR.9 I will get to something a bit more like.  Not content with a fairly big kit-bash I'm also going to re-scribe it! Well that's the plan. The first photo is the component parts I'm planning on using, I may or may not use the Pavla cockpit set, I've not decided yet.

IMG_1669_zpsc7qthqzp.jpg 

John

• Like 20

On 1/29/2017 at 3:25 PM, Hook said:

Nice. Will follow with interest, I have two Airfix B-/RB-57's in the stash. 

What scheme will she end up in? 

Cheers,

Andre 

Thanks Andre, I'll be doing her as an early "Able Mable" all silver RB.57E, the first combat jets in to SEA in 1964.

John

Edited by canberra kid
Finger trouble
  • Like 3

John

I built an RB-57E some time ago as the Patricia Lynn aircraft that got peppered with shrapnel after a ground attack mortar attack, and it got patched up with speed tape for return to Japan for repairs. Haydn should still have it somewhere.

Good luck with that one of yours.

Ted

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhino said:

John

I built an RB-57E some time ago as the Patricia Lynn aircraft that got peppered with shrapnel after a ground attack mortar attack, and it got patched up with speed tape for return to Japan for repairs. Haydn should still have it somewhere.

Good luck with that one of yours.

Ted

Thanks Ted I know the ship you mean, she was quite a mess but as you say she was as good as new after going back to Japan, I'll ask Hayden at Huddersfield.

John 

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

Interesting.

Can you tell what's wrong with Italeri's B-57?

Now  there's a question Antoine, there is quite a lot but the biggy is that the wings are too far back, which has the knock on effect of making the rear fuselage look odd. The wings are short in span inboard of the engine. The main wheels are too small. I have a more indepth look on my site here Italeri 1/72 B.57 Canberra musings    

John 

• Like 1

And silly me who thought that the Italeri kit was a good kit.....

Note to self:"Remove from the to-buy list!"

That's going to be interesting to follow!

JR

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jean said:

Well, it is not as if there is much of an alternative. 

Cheers,

Andre 

11 minutes ago, jean said:

That's going to be interesting to follow!

JR

Just now, Hook said:

Well, it is not as if there is much of an alternative. 

Cheers,

Andre 

I know, I should have said despite the shortcomings it's the best B.57 out of the two, I've built countless ones with out modification, but I've been wanting to build an accurate one for some time mainly for my own satisfaction. What we really need is an all new British B.2/6 and a B.57A and B.

John 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Looking forward to this one, John. I'm not familiar with the kits you're using - whose fuselage and wings are in your inventory photo above?

Cheers,

Bill

Sorry Bill I should have put them into separate groups, it's mainly Italeri but the fuselage, tail planes, elevators and rudder are from the Airfix B.57 I will cut the nose off the Airfix fuselage and replace with the Italeri one which you can see, this will correct the main issue with the Airfix kit. I don't know what it is was with Airfix and Canberra noses!  The undercarriage is from the Matchbox PR.9 kit, it's not as detailed as the Italeri parts but it is much stronger, the wheel hubs are not right for a B.57 but then again no one does an acurate B.57 wheel, at least the wheel is the right diameter which is more than you can say for the Italeri ones which are way too small. As the build goes on I will point out the origin of the parts.

John     

• Like 1

One of my favorite airplanes!!

I have the same kit (Italeri), planned to start it once, I figured that it needed a lot of work, so I put it back in the closet!!

Hope one day I will start it. Good luck with the build, I can't wait for this!!

Regards,

Nontas

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NontasB said:

One of my favorite airplanes!!

I have the same kit (Italeri), planned to start it once, I figured that it needed a lot of work, so I put it back in the closet!!

Hope one day I will start it. Good luck with the build, I can't wait for this!!

Regards,

Nontas

Mine too NontasB, I've built her in 1/48 using the Classic Airframes kit and in 1/72 with the Italeri kit, but I wanted to try to build it correcting all the issues with the two kits. 

John

• Like 1

Can't wait to see this progress John. 

I too have the Airfix and Italeri B-57 and am planning on doing B-57B 53-3888 (the first American jet bomber to drop ordnance in combat - for those who do not know).

When I compared the two kits I found that the Airfix canopy looked like an awful shape - what are your views on this?

Phil

• Like 1

Hello,John - This will prove to be an interesting build which I'll enjoy following.

It's good to see 'Master Fettling' like this! Good luck with 'Able Mabel'.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Can't wait to see this progress John. 

I too have the Airfix and Italeri B-57 and am planning on doing B-57B 53-3888 (the first American jet bomber to drop ordnance in combat - for those who do not know).

When I compared the two kits I found that the Airfix canopy looked like an awful shape - what are your views on this?

Phil

Hi Phil

I know that bird well, I was thinking about doing it myself, but the RB.57E is one of my all time favorites, so it won out this time, and seeing as I'm going to be putting in so much effort it had to be an E :) As for the kit's you are absolutely right about the canopy on the Airfix kit, as well as being bannana shaped it's also far too thin! As you may see from the photo I'm using the Italeri forward fuselage as one of the corrections. As far as I can tell they are a good match in diameter, which they should be but there is no guarantee with these things.

John     

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - This will prove to be an interesting build which I'll enjoy following.

It's good to see 'Master Fettling' like this! Good luck with 'Able Mabel'.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into some go old kit bashing!

John  

• Like 2

On dinsdag 31 januari 2017 at 11:39 AM, Booty003 said:

Both Falcon and Pavla do 1/72nd vac canopies fort the B-57B.

HTH,

Andre

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hook said:

Both Falcon and Pavla do 1/72nd vac canopies fort the B-57B.

HTH,

Andre

Interesting Andre, they could be useful, but you would still need to do a lot to make them fit the Airfix kit, and if they are designed for the Airfix kit they will be a wast of money .

John 

I've done a bit of work on the tail plains, I've scribed the panels on the Airfix parts, although I may have to dig some more out as I forgot that the B.57's have what they call "airflow exciters" in effect they are vortex generators, but rather than individual "blades" they are long raised lines. I will try it on another set of tail planes and see what they look like.

John