Spitfire Mk.22 (1/48)....another silver one

Latest off the bench is the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire mk22. Straight from the box but the decals are Eagle Strike. Markings are for 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron.

This is my 75th. Spitfire/seafire in 1/48 :analintruder:  ..... getting a bit of an obsession ............... luckily I have enough in the stash to reach my ton :rofl:

Hope you like. Please feel free to comment.

Thanks for looking

Dick

DPP_145_zpsyfzwavbf.jpg

DPP_144_zpskckeeles.jpg

DPP_147_zps2m9xw1m8.jpg

DPP_146_zpsecviezhm.jpg

Edited by jenko
  • Like 32

Superbly elegant build, showing off those racing lines to best effect!

Such a beautiful model would benefit from a Barracuda resin replacement propeller – the only real letdown of the Airfix kit, IMHO:

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR48026

In the words of the maestro himself, Roy Sutherland: "This accurate, detailed cast resin 5 blade spinner and late style 11’ diameter prop greatly improve the Airfix Spitfire 22/24 and Seafire 46/47 kits. The kit blades have too much twist and are oddly shaped. A highly visible upgrade."

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation whatsoever with Roy. I just get his stuff 'cause it's among the best there is.

Kind regards,

Joachim

She looks really nice Dick.

I totally agree with you about the kit, such a joy to build. I have built several of the Seafire/Spitfire and, like you, have more in the stash. Nowhere near as many I must add!

You are obviously obsessed but there's nowt wrong with that is there...... :unsure:

Atb, Steve.

Many thanks for your kind comments and likes, they are much appreciated.

Joachim, I agree totally, the Barracuda props would look better. They are on my shopping list.

Cheers

Dick

12 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

Lovely model , but what decals did you use , 603 sqd should carry light blue/ red checks .

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Decals are Eagle Strike................... I've found out that I've made a boob boo as Airfix were correct and Eaglecal are not.  :poop:happens.

Time for a redecal...............:undecided:

Dick

Edited by jenko

Straight out of box with a simple color scheme resulting a nice finish and good-looking result.  What's not to like about that?

A few questions -

1) what paint did you use for the overall silver?

2) did that paint require you to apply a gloss layer for decalling?

3) did you seal the decals afterwards with something that changed the character of the finish?

It's a fine - looking result that I'd like to replicate someday.

Tamiya Matt aluminium. Light coat of humbrol gloss coat. Decal then light coat of humbrol satin coat .

Hth

Dick