Long Job - FV439 Royal Signals Radio Relay with some 3d Printing

Wogga

No problem, the frosted detail is quite brittle but it is the trade off to get the detail. The cheapest plastic is flexible and forgiving but it has a need for thicker detail, I guess I could persevere however there would be limitations, I couldn't do the drum or antennas without some compromises which would look silly.

• Like 1

Thanks Gremlin.

Well in for a penny and in for £73! + vat and P&P. I have gone for a bulk order by combining all the bots i require to produce 2 x 439 on one drawing. It appears to be a lot cheaper as there is only one setup cost.

Again i have gone for "print in anyway" so fingers crossed. It all passed the initial checks apart from a few thin walls on the gene coffin brackets, despite this warning they have always printed satisfactory previously. The jerrycans lids may end up a blob because they are very thin.

This will be enough to make a 439 with mast up and one with mast down ready to move. It is a lot of money but i think it is comparable to a resin kit, plus it will make two and they are unique no one else makes bits for a 439.

Assemblies%202_zps1l59kfp1.jpeg

• Like 5

Whilst waiting for my items to come i decided to cost out per model. surprisingly as a kit for a complete 439 accessories the kit price is £37.25. This price is not too bad and easily comparable and cheaper than a resin conversion ...... if one existed.

Here is the kit, all you need to make a FV439.

tpmd_zpsibqrdfap.jpeg

• Like 3

One thing I've learned about 3D printing is to think about the orientation of the parts, before uploading it.

For example the anntenna cage would have printed better if it was on its side as this minimises the steppyness of the print.

I did this for the Carley float racks(In Strong White Flexible) and depth charge racks(in the no longer offered Frosted Detail) for my 1/72nd scale Flower Class build, link here -

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961252-my-revell-flower-hms-heather/#comment-1637354

1 hour ago, Niall said:

One thing I've learned about 3D printing is to think about the orientation of the parts, before uploading it.

For example the anntenna cage would have printed better if it was on its side as this minimises the steppyness of the print.

I did this for the Carley float racks(In Strong White Flexible) and depth charge racks(in the no longer offered Frosted Detail) for my 1/72nd scale Flower Class build, link here -

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961252-my-revell-flower-hms-heather/#comment-1637354

Cheers Niall for that tip, I shall bear it mind. A great model you have done there and some great 3d printing. I did manage to print the antenna cage originally in flexible strong plastic which is a great material and a lot more forgiving.

Have you had any takers from your shop yet?

On 26/02/2017 at 6:19 PM, simmerit said:

have you picked up any more gos on a release date for the kit?

Cheers

Si

Fraid not Si better be soon cos i am ready

• Like 1

On 26/02/2017 at 7:11 PM, robgizlu said:

Wogga - this is coming together really nicely.  I've taken corvette stuff from Niall's Shapeways shop which is superb.  I'm hugely impressed.

As I am by all your work here  :cool:

Rob

Thanks appreciated.

well the goods have arrived ready for your inspection, there was a loss of detail i.e. the jerrycans spouts but i knew these were a risk as the walls were thin and i was warned by Shapeways. However i pressed the print anyway button so they did!

Overall i am well impressed with the results and some detail did print despite the warnings. I haven't cleaned them up, not there is a lot to do, i have just put some primer on to show them better.

Let me know your feedback, all i need now is Takom to produce the 43 and i should be ready to plant.

IMG_0624_zpsu2x519kf.jpg

IMG_0625_zpsysqv1kku.jpg

IMG_0626_zpsxp6tdjzd.jpg

IMG_0627_zpsym07k3hm.jpg

IMG_0628_zpsylz3jewt.jpg

IMG_0633_zpsqr9qn0ia.jpg

IMG_0629_zpsif69dl07.jpg

IMG_0630_zpsng3wyql3.jpg

IMG_0631_zpsmaoftlph.jpg

• Like 3

Look pretty nice from here - some minor surface clean up will help.

Still a damn sight easier than scratching.  It's all very impressive

And I can only agree about Takom!

Rob

• Like 1

Pete

Would painting with tipex and sanding back help fill the printing steps and allow you to see when sanding is getting flush with steps ?

Thanks for your help with the UBRE too.

Nige

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Okdoky said:

Pete

Would painting with tipex and sanding back help fill the printing steps and allow you to see when sanding is getting flush with steps ?

Thanks for your help with the UBRE too.

Nige

Worth a go Nige, it is quite easy stuff to work with and sands very easy.

3 hours ago, viper-30 said:

Sorry excuse the dumb bottom question but is this something we can order now via shapeway.

terry

Not yet viper, I have to open a shop I think, I will explore it if you wish.

• 2 months later...

Well getting giddy, the Takom kit appears to be in the country with a few model shops showing stock and an in the box review on modelling news. Other good bit of news is I have had a sale through my shapeways shop with great feedback. I may not be the first to show a 1/35 FV439 radio relay though?

• Like 1

Just caught up on this the cad and 3D printing is impressive. It's nearly cheating but I can see the applications for this in our hobby taking off and the price for some half decent kit coming down

in the mean time revel in learning a new facet and skill our hobby has to offer

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Time to resurrect this, I said it would be a long one! Despite work getting in the way I have been making some progress. Originally I was using Shapeways to produce the models but when prototyping it was getting prohibitively expensive. Next obvious step was to research 3d printers. The cost of home printing has reduced dramatically so after a bit of digging I got an Anycubic Photon. This produces the models from a resin that is cured layer by layer with UV light. The models produced were a lot smoother than the usual PLA hot melt type.

spacer.png

After quite a few mishaps and experimentation I was able to produce the desired quality.

spacer.png

With a bit of primer and careful trimming of supports we ended up with some smooth quality products.

CU4wAWE.jpg?1

I eventually produced 2 kits of the FV439 fitted with Onan 3.5kva generators this version was in use well into the 80's. The models were built by better modellers  than me. My conversion fitted to Takoms kit.

6TXwcYy.jpg

spacer.png

HMmliO0.jpg

What next? well enquires requested the Mark 2 version. Fundamentally the generator sets were changed an the coffin up armoured to suit. This was the last version and several specimens are in private hands having being sold off by the MoD via Withams.

This took some drawing however again printing with the photo in one piece I got acceptable results.

spacer.png

Quality is great, you can just make out the layers.

Yx1yOTt.jpg

The other day I did what would call a doodle, it will instantly recognised as a toaster to many.... trust me it is smooth if I did a better  clean up and giving it a proper paint job. No Signals Det should be without one. 

LYRXw2H.jpg

More to follow......

• Like 7