Long Job - FV439 Royal Signals Radio Relay with some 3d Printing

Wogga

2 minutes ago, Widow 65 said:

Gonna watch this one with interest......Scaleybacks....?????

Playstations and the like??????

Different world!

Dont forget the microwave ovens and Kenwood stereo systems that often got taken out on exercise, these Radio Delay Ops really knew how to go Hard Tac :)

• Like 1

Crack on!

As we're talking Royal Signals, a long time ago (1987) I worked in the RN comcen in Belfast (Moscow Camp), does anyone know the name of the secure radio system that was fitted to vehicles & boats (in our case)? I found some old photos of when HMS Sirius' Lynx came to stay and it got me thinking.

3 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Crack on!

As we're talking Royal Signals, a long time ago (1987) I worked in the RN comcen in Belfast (Moscow Camp), does anyone know the name of the secure radio system that was fitted to vehicles & boats (in our case)? I found some old photos of when HMS Sirius' Lynx came to stay and it got me thinking.

Green Spot and Red Spot from what I can remember a couple of years later.  Funnily enough differentiated by the freq wheel colours which were, er green or red.....

My old man used to work at the RN jetty at Moscow.  Had a few years kicking around there myself.

Hmmmmm, I kind of remember it having a proper name, like "Viking" or something. You had to change the crypto at midnight, via a "gun" I think. It was just a voice net, we had four of them on one side of the room for the four nets we used / monitored. It could be a pain if one of the vehicles dumped it's crypto whilst it was out.

16 hours ago, Greg B said:

Thats the one I think.  Cougar.

Cougar was only only used in NI as far as I'm aware, it evolved into Panther and had limited use through out the green Army, the standard the secure Clansman secure VHF radio fit for the green Army was the VRC 353 Z.

Normally found at Division and Brigade level and some spec tasks detachments, the Z prefix indicates that it secure and utilised a DMU and associated cypher unit that was filled with a fill gun, the designation is still classified I think so for Opsec I'll not mention it. ( No friends in crypto) 

Ptarmigan was the secure field phone system and our modern day mobile phone networks share a lot in common with this system. 

As for Clansman HF Secure comms we used an off line cypher unit that we typed in text like messages, good bit of kit but again only used at Div, Brigade and SF operators, if memory serves me correct it was the KL43C ( unclassified name) .

i also used the Avquick radio in the Ground to Air set up, essentially a secure UHF aircraft radio bodged into a ground radio station to speak securely to fast air assets .

The radio rebroadcast set was the IBRU , Interconnecting Box Radio Rebroadcast Unit. It was the most sought after job in the Radio Op world to be on a RRB detachment, 4 VHF radios could be linked back to back to double the range of 2 radio nets :) 

Regards 

Dan 

Just now, Dads203 said:

Kero toast anyone :rolleyes:

Now I can relate to this although, not using this strange "Kero heating device?" you seem to be talking about. I have seen the odd Toaster made from an ammo tin (you know that box you get your bullets in?:)) and a heating element from a BV! great device and I suspect tasted better than Rear Echelon toast......

Cheese possessed on bread heated with the Kero heater ... yummy, you gotta love the paraffin aftertaste. We never had any ammo so we couldn't make the contraption you mention Nick :) 

Now the Electrican Drivers and the Radio Delay Ops had 240 power so they had microwaves and electric hobs so you could get some really good scoff from these guys... Well better than a compo meal anyway, but not quite Michelin star food by any imagination.

• Like 1

Going back on topic somewhat,  the Takom 432 can be built as a Royal Signals Radio Rebrodcast Detactment with little or no mods , you would have to add 4 x 353 radios and the IBRU unit for the interior and add 2 x Racal 8 m masts on side mounted brackets to the hull. 

Thats if you want to be real Warry.... :) 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2017 at 5:41 AM, Wogga said:

I am now gathering more prototype info and doing drawings to do as much as i can by way of 3d printing. Try scratching this!

Cable%20Assy_zpsm5crjyvb.jpeg

Hi Wogga, nice 3D modeling but that would be nice to scratch build in brass eh :hmmm:

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

Stunning so far.  Just out of interest, have you estimated what the cost of the parts that you are going to get 3D printed are going to be?

I also think this is the way forward for a lot of modellers as well by the way.  I was going to do my own 3D for the Wokka, but I ended up scratch-building my Sand Filters.  The thread is an education.  Keep the information flowing - its good stuff

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive feed back chaps i am glad it has sparked some interest.

Richard i am quite a competent solder person but the thought of doing the cable assembly, nah! too much burnt pinkies i think, if you fancy a crack feel free :D

Simmerit {Simon?) you raise a good point, the model below Shapeways are looking for between $9.82 and $29.80 each depending on what material you get it printed in. What material you print it in is dependant on what detail you want printing and how printable the model is. Shapeways check the model for wall thickness, small bits too small to print and a few other things. You may have to alter your drawing or lose some detail to get it shape too print or reduce cost to your satisfaction.  The dearer solution above keeps all i want which is frosted detail plastic.

More material = more money

More detail = dearer material

Compromise is your option to suit your purse.

Here is my original drawing, I have a printable version however if i can thin some parts out to use less material i can reduce the cost further, e.g thinning the walls of the coffin knocked 12$ off the price. This is now sat at $29.80 in frosted detail plastic which provides good detail, i reckon with a bit more work i can knock a few more bucks off. This is my final gene coffin drawing.

coffin_zpsrjim0dg6.jpeg

Frosted detail plastic gets a big thumbs up from Shapeways keeps details but is expensive. The heat map is good. PS the wall thickness heat map is a good representation of how the finished model looks!

coffin%202_zpsjcpfl3qm.jpeg

Now compare it to a heat map for a cheaper material @ $9 a print, it is unto you whether you want to compromise and add the detail yourself. Red won't print or cause a problem. You thicken some bits to make them printable of course. The world is your oyster and there are plenty of choices.

coffin%203_zps45xhycut.jpeg

coffin%204_zpsbt3hx2ax.jpeg

I will now finish and complete other assemblies before i print again, i want to consolidate the models to save p&p. besides no Takom 43

yet so whats the rush, plenty of time to perfect the drawings.

• Like 5

Another Assembly completed the cable drum assembly which is mounted to the rear of the top deck. Due to the thinness of the bars this needs to be done in Frosted Ultra Detail at $15.71 a pop. Are you totting up Simon?

The CAD Drawing

cable%20assy2_zpsyeb6gzyj.jpeg

The all important wall thickness heat map in Shapeways, like i say this is a good representation of how things turn out.

cable%20assy_zps80fusyii.jpeg

• Like 2