1/72 Westland Wessex 60

Hello,

I would like to present my 1/72 Westland Wessex 60 series 1.

Italeri kit with windows modified for a Wessex 60.  Intake grill also opened up as these were removed for North Sea flying; I believe it was because they could ice up and block the intakes but not certain of that?

Detailed with Eduard photo etch and brass rod & wire.  Decals are from two S&M sets (for the Bristow & BP logo), the registration is from an RAF letter set and the stencils are a mish mash from my spares.

Slightly over weathered for this aircraft, so apologies to any Bristow employees (Past & present) as I'm sure you would not allow your aircraft to get in this state :D

The model represents C/N wa560, G-ATSC as operated by Bristows from North Denes.  For info, in 1976 this aircraft ditched in the North Sea shortly after takeoff from West Sole gas rig platform C, after both engines stopped due to ingestion of the not removed engine intake covers, 14 occupants, thankfully no casualties.

Built as part of the Westland Wessex group build, build thread here

32170084980_9a4f8458f1_z.jpg

32396678362_c9564c4f71_z.jpg

32426735141_44516d918f_z.jpg

32426727021_06af8d1fab_z.jpg

31705629094_b10e731115_z.jpg

32170063550_71bf2aa8e7_z.jpg

32549478925_fb82d8cb55_z.jpg

31705636004_fb35a25c44_z.jpg

31705611114_7dd1520ca9_z.jpg

thanks for looking

Aaron

• Like 62

Very nicely made model. I have to agree with you about the weathering, too much. Did nobody carry out a pre-flight walk round on the Wessex that ditched? Seems odd to gave missed the intake blanks on an aircraft where the intakes are easily accessible.

Anyway, great model.

Jeff 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Very nicely made model. I have to agree with you about the weathering, too much. Did nobody carry out a pre-flight walk round on the Wessex that ditched? Seems odd to gave missed the intake blanks on an aircraft where the intakes are easily accessible.

Anyway, great model.

Jeff 

thanks Jeff, for info https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/11-1976-wessex-60-series-1-g-atsc-8-march-1976

• Like 1

Lovely model. I don't think it looks over-weathered.

Very interesting history and the accident report is an interesting read. To me, the fact that such an experienced pilot would miss the intake covers still being on goes to show how easily anyone can make a mistake. The pilot certainly seems to have got everything right once everything went wrong.

• Like 1

amazing build, puts all my efforts in 1/48 to shame. i especially like the weathering, hjust right (IMHO) on this build. Better looking than a Boscombe Raspberry Ripple, so good choice of scheme.

• Like 1

Very nice result, though I also have to agree with you about the weathering; I think it's more a function of the type of weathering (ie excessive shading) that you've chosen to use rather than the fact that it's heavily weathered...and you're right about the employees! (And doubtless the management...). Really refreshing to see a Wessex in civil garb.

Thanks also for including the link to the accident report.  There are some glaring 'links in the chain' that are so common in accidents today: time pressure (a weather 'window' with no IFR option due to the low freezing level); distraction ( interrupted checks, passenger manifest amendment); single pilot so no peer oversight.  Also it's quite astonishing that he took off from one deck and landed on two more, yet no deck crew reported the presence of a loose engine cover.

It's also quite shocking to be reminded of the old-school approach to North Sea flying: lifejackets not permanently worn by passengers, only one passenger wearing an immersion suit and very poor passenger liferaft drills.  It certainly puts today's standards into perspective.  It is also interesting to note that the engines would probably have functioned as intended with the cover still in place; it was only because one of the straps became undone, allowing the cover to be sucked into the intakes, that the engines stopped.

Jon

• Like 1

Thank you all so very much for the comments. Very much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Jonners said:

Very nice result, though I also have to agree with you about the weathering; I think it's more a function of the type of weathering (ie excessive shading) that you've chosen to use rather than the fact that it's heavily weathered...and you're right about the employees! (And doubtless the management...). Really refreshing to see a Wessex in civil garb...

Jon

I agree Jon; I tried something different this time. I usually use black for pre-shading but this time used dark grey but instead of a white base coat I used light grey. This left the white & red looking quite tired which, in my personal opinion, looks good for a worn, well used aircraft. However, on this instance I should have stuck with a white base coat and used the grey for pre-shading, albeit lighter (if that makes sense?) I certainly learned some lessons from this build for future white civvie choppers. Thank you again 

Aaron

Brilliant build Aaron,

everything is just tip top!

I have flown extensively with Bristow in the UK and KLM Helicopters in the Dutch sector of the North Sea, and I dare say that on occasion I have seen machines possibly far dirtier than what you  have portrayed!

Possibly busy schedules, bad weather, snow, etc. Whatever, a couple of times you could see that someone had written on the airframe with a vengeful finger: "Pliz, clean me!"...

But they always got us to and from offshore rigs without any problems (that we were aware of).

Beautiful build!

JR

• Like 1