Scratch built Maurice Farman MF7 Longorn

31706081794_1710ba4ad7_k.jpg

32549952405_f26e1de1ed_k.jpg

Maurice Farman was one of two brothers who each established aviation companies in France in the first decade of the 20th century and who went on to become important pioneers in the years immediately before 1914. Maurice designed a number of machines before the successful pusher layout with a front elevator was adopted. Looking a little like the Wright brothers "Flyer" and its derivatives, Farman followed an idea that was fashionable at the time that connected front and rear elevators helped with horizontal stability. This was M. Farman's first truly successful design which gained a number of records including a distance record of 350 miles in a closed circuit in 1910, and successive duration records between 1911 and 1913. (The Bristol Boxkite was a copy of this design, built by the British and Colonial Aeroplane Company from 1910 until 1914).

31706078624_67a6e76b4c_k.jpg

31706080274_ba29f3ccdf_k.jpg

Following the outbreak of hostilities a few went to France where they were used for reconnaissance but they were quickly withdrawn and from then on only used for training. However at least one machine found its way to the middle east where it was used for reconnaissance in the campaign in Mesopotamia against the Turks which eventually led to the siege of Kut in 1916. It was a robust, reliable machine which was relatively easy to fly and this, combined with its flying record meant that it was entered for the British Military aircraft trials held on Salisbury Plain in 1911. Following success in these trials a number of machines were ordered for the RFC and RNAS in 1911, and it was used for reconnaissance by 2, 4 and 6 squadrons RFC (where it was known as the S7), and training in the years leading to the First World War.

32397100922_c532a63299_k.jpg

32549954615_6f08e1c06e_k.jpg

Most MF 7's served in the UK as primary trainers until 1916. The French continued to use the type for reconnaissance on the western front until mid-1915 when they too withdrew it from front line duties and used it for training purposes. Most machines were built in France and equipped with 70 hp Renault engines, but some were built under licence in Bradford which were powered by 100 hp Sunbeams, and 47 others built in the UK were powered by 75 hp Rolls Royce Hawks. One aircraft was sold to Norway and this survives in a museum in Oslo: other machines are preserved in Paris and Brussels.

31737614363_a5d46a8b11_k.jpg

31737613743_d91581ab65_k.jpg

Individual aircraft varied from each other as these were hand built, so the exhaust systems of the engines varied, and some later aircraft had fold-down extensions of the upper main-planes, while others had narrow chord lower planes. I have seen photographs of RFC machines with rudder stripes but have not found any with other markings except for the number 12 applied in chalk or white paint on the rudders of the machine at the trials in 1911. I assume that serial numbers were carried on RFC and RNAS machines as was customary prior to August 1914 and possibly Union Jacks were carried on the underside of the lower wings on machines sent to France. However I have tried to represent a machine in early 1914 and because I could not find a photo of one with a serial I have omitted the latter detail. The model represents a "standard" RFC machine with a 70hp Renault engine with one of at least two exhaust systems for this engine. No armament was carried by MF 7's unless the pilot or observer took up a personal weapon.

31737612843_6f44d4e4fe_k.jpg

32170516650_54f0c860c9_k.jpg

I am not sure where the name "Longhorn" comes from, but it could be the pilot's control column which had two long arms at the top which vaguely remind one of the long horns on highland cattle.

32397099232_dfcadfcce7_k.jpg

It is said that aircraft riggers at the time used to release a pigeon inside the aircraft to see if it could escape - if it could there was a wire missing. There are approximately 200 wires on this model, but if anyone has a 1/72 scale flying pigeon please could I borrow it to check if I have left any off?

There is a build log on Airfix Tribute Forum - scratch builds.

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 33

Phoenix,

What a lovely model, I saw the WIP on ATF.  As to your query:

"I am not sure where the name "Longhorn" comes from, but it could be the pilot's control column which had two long arms at the top which vaguely remind one of the long horns on highland cattle."

I think its a "longhorn" to differentiate it from a MF11 "shorthorn" which was a Farman type without the front elevator - more obviously the front frame extensions look more like horns on the "shorthorn".  But most of the RFC memoirs I've read usually seem to refer to a Farman as a "Rumpety" anyway!

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

Brilliant - now that's how to scratchbuild.  I've contemplated trying to build exactly this subject in this scale myself, but for now I'm sticking to simpler models!  Some questions:

1.  Did you use some kind of jig when assembling the main parts?

2.  What did you use to make the frames - plastic rod?

3.  What did you use for the rigging (other than enormous amounts of patience and persistence)?  

Love it.

Jon

Amazing model! I diubt that even a 1:144th pigeon could escape from that web och built-in headwind.

The background story enhances this masterpiece even further.

Top marks for modelling skills and for pure perseverance!

Kind regards,

Joachim

12 hours ago, Jonners said:

Brilliant - now that's how to scratchbuild.  I've contemplated trying to build exactly this subject in this scale myself, but for now I'm sticking to simpler models!  Some questions:

1.  Did you use some kind of jig when assembling the main parts?

2.  What did you use to make the frames - plastic rod?

3.  What did you use for the rigging (other than enormous amounts of patience and persistence)?  

Love it.

Jon

Jon,

Rather than try to answer all of your questions in full here is the link to the build log - I should have provided this before:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=44053

In short I did not use a jig: I did/do use books, pots of paint, or any other suitable object on my desk/in the room where I model, and I sometimes use graph paper to get alignments, as in this case. I do show my supports in my build logs when I use them. I am aware that my methods are a little unconventional but they work for me, but I know that others do use jigs because they work well for them.

The struts were made from Evergreen strip - 20 x 30 thou - filed to a streamline section. The booms from the wings to tail-plane are florist's wire. The undercarriage skids and elevator support are 30 x 40 strip bent in hot water.

I rig most of my models with rolled 40 SWG copper wire held with superglue. Trying to rig pushers with thread in this scale presents problems which tests my patience a bit too far.

Many thanks to all of you who have left such positive comments - I really appreciate them.

P